PDA

View Full Version : Sharing My Art

philipstephen
10-27-2009, 02:42 PM
I saw other folks sharing their non-map sketches, so I thought I would share some of mine.

This one is still in progress, and is just an exercise to practice colouring scanned pencil drawings.

Feel free to comment or crit... suggestions of handy photoshop techniques are always welcome.

Phil

philipstephen
10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Here are a few drawings that need colouring and work as well.

Something to tinker with.

mearrin69
10-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I like the monk/priest looking one and the guy with the mask.
M

Sudden desire to try coloring those two. Would you mind if I gave it a shot?

töff
10-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Faerie Jester! :) me like

philipstephen
10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
sure mearrin69... just post your colouring results in this thread...

anyone else is welcome to break out the crayon box and colour some or my sketches...

should i load the line art for the dwarf?

phil

Ascension
10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Good stuff, man. Better than my comic book style.

philipstephen
10-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Mearin... would you want the higher resolution files to work with?

These ones are small...

How would I send those?

I guess i could post them later if you want.

Phil

Steel General
10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Some nice stuff there...far better than my stick-people!

Juggernaut1981
10-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah I'm a fan of "Baldy McLaugh"... looks good dude. I'm another in the "bad stick figure people" camp. Occassionally I dabble in "Oval and Cylinder" people too!

Djekspek
10-27-2009, 07:32 PM
nice man! especially the goblin, nice pose and anatomy/muscle-work. hmm, seeing this makes me wanne grab my sketchbook as well .... not that it's as good as this stuff but it so much fun drawing

mearrin69
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Mearin... would you want the higher resolution files to work with? How would I send those?

Funny. Thought I had replied to this earlier...guess the post didn't take. Sure. If you want you can send them to michaela at acaciarg dot com (I have no idea if obfuscation makes it any harder for spambots to get my address but...I'm sure it makes it harder for humans :) ) I'll play with the ones you posted already though.
M

philipstephen
10-28-2009, 12:05 AM
gnome monk update... still work to do...

mearrin69
10-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Hey. I like that style, matches the sketching. Mine, on the other hand, does not...really. :) I'm sort of out of time for the night but I laid down some color and started refining. No work yet on the upper part of the head. I took some liberties with your headdress...not sure if you intended it to come down over the cheeks and nose or not. I went with a very twigs and herbs color scheme.

Nowhere near done but I figured I'd post it. I think your coloring style might work better with the nice loose linework.
M

philipstephen
10-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Very cool Mearrin...

I am digging the leaf-like detailing in green... the eyes are pretty eerie for some reason...

actually did not imagine the mask there... but i am impressed with how you managed to create it...

look at us... should we not be making maps or something?

phil

mearrin69
10-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Hah. We should. Actually, I should be sleeping. But I'm not. Decided to come back and play with the gnome (that sounds vulgar).
M

philipstephen
10-28-2009, 03:44 AM
i'm digging it... nice skin tone and highlights...

maybe i should get you to colour all my work? :P

i am sure there is a whole lot more i need to figure out about photoshopping.... but it is fun to learn by doing...

phil

mearrin69
10-28-2009, 03:48 AM
Heh. Thanks. Trade you colors for some portraits for my adventure. :)
M

Steel General
10-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Nice work guys...maybe you should find a place for these in the CWBP (once they are finished).

philipstephen
10-28-2009, 02:43 PM
i could likely work on these forever... but i am going to stop here and call it good enough...

i just started playing with these images to get some practice with colouring in photoshop...

it was cool to see mearrin's colours... i hope you post your finish results... nice to collaborate...

phil

philipstephen
10-28-2009, 02:47 PM
oh yah... and a special thank you and acknowledgment to Tom Cardin for designing and posting that hatching pattern I used in the background here...

good stuff! reminds me of the shading in Mouse Guard backgrounds...

mearrin69
10-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I like it. Much more lively than mine. I hope I get a chance to scribble on the fey guy some more tonight. Coming down with the flu or something and my eyes hurt a bit after looking at my brighter-than-the-sun screen for a bit. Turned down the brightness and then couldn't see what I was doing. Go figure. Hope to see more of your non-map stuff.
M

Turgenev
10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Nice work, Philip! I especially like that elf mask pic. When are you going to share more samples? ;)

philipstephen
11-09-2009, 03:11 AM
i think this might be an ogre

or maybe a shaved dwarf...

not sure, but he is angry...

just a doodle, but might do more work.

philipstephen
11-09-2009, 04:01 AM
this one needs work too...

not sure if this guy is funny or scary...

philipstephen
11-12-2009, 06:33 PM
i should likely do more writing or map making, but photoshop painting has captured my attention... likely because i have more important things to do...

this is my latest WIP on a spear wielding mage...

the post is based on this image here:

http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/art/Warbot-51336477

Ghostman
11-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Nice art, though the weapon looks like a bill rather than a spear. It also seems that her left hand has six fingers and something weird is going on under the wrist. Maybe it's just distortion from that magical smoke :?:

philipstephen
12-08-2009, 01:01 AM
latest doodling...

maps coming soon!

Steel General
12-08-2009, 06:37 AM
I really like this last one, reminds me a bit of the style in Ralph Bashki's "Wizards".

philipstephen
12-08-2009, 12:58 PM
thanks for the compliment steel!

i am trying to figure out if i should cover up his right ear with his hair... (that would be the ear on the left side of the image)

my world map is still being tinkered with slowly... but no big updates to make yet.

Coyotemax
12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I'd cover it.

That's what was bugging me about the image.. I couldn't place it till you mentioned that. the ear looks a bit forced at the moment.

Overall amazing though, better than I can do, certainly :)

philipstephen
12-10-2009, 07:15 PM
still have not covered the ear... trying to decide if it would be better to give him short hair.

philipstephen
12-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I think this dude is close to done...

I just have to clean up some of my scribbly bits...

phil

philipstephen
12-11-2009, 01:03 AM
i have spent my whole day doodling on the computer...

it is nice to know i can still make art, even though i do not have a studio anymore... but i should likely be doing other work...

here is a WIP of a knife fighter....

philipstephen
12-15-2009, 05:17 AM
a bit more work on the dwarf character from my game...

Ramah
12-15-2009, 05:36 AM
I love your style. Really wonderful artistry on show here.

If I had one criticism though it would be that we seem to be viewing the guy from roughly the same height as he is yet we seem to be viewing his hat from somewhere above. If the perspective isn't wrong on the hat then it is perched on his head in what would be a pretty strange way. Looks like the back of it needs dropping lower on his head.

philipstephen
12-15-2009, 02:47 PM
you are likely right Ramah... next time i play with it, i will adjust the helm...

lucky for me it is on a different layer...

Jaxilon
12-15-2009, 11:39 PM
If the perspective isn't wrong on the hat then it is perched on his head in what would be a pretty strange way. Looks like the back of it needs dropping lower on his head.

Maybe someone just smacked him in the back of the head? :)

These are fun drawings, I enjoy them.

philipstephen
12-29-2009, 06:06 AM
this green dude is part of my efforts to teach myself to paint in photoshop...

i may work on this a bit more...the muscle masses on the legs are a bit funny... i guess his lack of pants or genitals is kind of funny too... but with magically created creatures, there must be some that have no reproductive capabilities...

anywhoo, it is late....

Phil

philipstephen
12-29-2009, 06:10 AM
I just figured out that last drawing has the thumb of the left hand on the wrong side of the club... grrrr...

anywho... here is another sketch... a character from my game... it is a WIP too... a digital painting built up around a stock image...

phil

Coyotemax
12-29-2009, 07:17 AM
good stuff there.
Nothing to contribute beyond what's already been said :)

Steel General
12-29-2009, 12:17 PM
I really like that last one...even with the 'mutant thumb' :D

Ascension
12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd certainly appreciate a tut on doing the painting...I've had no success teaching myself so far. I'm usually a very stick-to-it type of guy but I've had little time the past few months and I'd like to finish my dancer.

Coyotemax
12-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, dancing girls make everyone happy!

philipstephen
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
I'd certainly appreciate a tut on doing the painting...I've had no success teaching myself so far. I'm usually a very stick-to-it type of guy but I've had little time the past few months and I'd like to finish my dancer.

The book I have that is brilliant is by Matt Dixon, titled: "The Fantasy Artist's Figure Drawing Bible." Other than that, there are some great tutorials I am finding on deviantart.com

My own process is fairly experimental and guess-and-testy so i am not sure if a tutorial by myself would be too handy at this stage of the game...

torstan
12-29-2009, 07:39 PM
These are looking great. There's a real development of style in these last couple of images. The hours you've put in are definitely showing.

philipstephen
12-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I am going to try to make a more fully realized scene... backgrounds and all eventually...

i am curious as to ideas of clothes for this goblin guy... i mean to do tattoos and such later, but what do folks think he should wear?

here are two versions, one with a bit more armour than the other...

phil

philipstephen
12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
i figured he might be taking on a young dwarf...

still not sure about the goblin's outfit...

phil

Jaxilon
12-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I think his loin cloth is great but you might want to make it all tattered. Unless, he's royalty. That guy looks pretty clean, like a model of some kind. You might want to "grub" him up a bit - maybe a notch in his blade as well.
I'd vote for a gold ring in his ear too.

Ghostman
12-31-2009, 07:37 AM
Your goblins seem to have some interesting ideas about what body parts are high priority for armouring :lol:

As for clothes, maybe something akin to a biker vest would look good on this one. Make it worn and ragged, marked with sword cuts and crude decorations.