PDA

View Full Version : Map of Andoria

kridenow
10-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi there,

This is a work on the map of the planet Andoria of Star Trek fame (but since it has no particular SciFi elements in it, I post it here).

The original map I started to work from is :

published in the book "Among the Clans" by Last Unicorn Games and, as far as I know, this map is from Charles Ryan.

Then comes my current map :

Done on Photoshop.

My two current problems (or practicing exercises ?) are :

Have relatively nice textures/effects for vegetation (it's too blurry now)
Have decent texts (it's quite decent when text is added horizontally but it looks ugly when rotated and/or resized down)

There is some liberty into interpreting the original map, which is coming with (scarce) geographical descriptions in the book. But I try to not drift too far.

Steel General
10-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I think it looks pretty good so far.

A couple things I noticed...

1) The transition between the 'ice' and the lighter blue is very sudden and harsh. Now if its some big cliff,etc. than don't worry about it, otherwise it could use a bit of blending.

2) The mountains, depending on the scale the ridge lines may be a bit overstated.

Just some things you might want to consider...

kridenow
10-29-2009, 05:02 AM
1) The transition between the 'ice' and the lighter blue is very sudden and harsh. Now if its some big cliff,etc. than don't worry about it, otherwise it could use a bit of blending.

I'm afraid I don't see exactly what transition you are talking about.
But yes, overall, the map is in need of refinement. :)

2) The mountains, depending on the scale the ridge lines may be a bit overstated.

That was a bit my perception as well. Since the mountain roots aren't resting on a large base.
The scale is more or less unknown actually. There is one going to "4000" on the bottom right. I guess it has to be miles.

Thanks for the comments.

Steel General
10-29-2009, 08:04 AM
See the image below (with my poorly drawn arrows), for the 'transitions' I was referring to.