PDA

View Full Version : Greetings...

modernhamlet
10-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi all...

First of all, you guys are scary good. Some of the stuff I've seen here has just blown me away. Not only the technical expertise, but the level of creativity and originality is across the board stellar.

Anyway, enough sucking up. ;)

I'm Tom. I love maps. Always have. Long-time gamer, but it's been a good while since I've been involved in RPGs of any sort. I'm a huge fan of Jared Diamond. Also a some-time fantasy and sci-fi reader. George RR Martin, Feist (back in the day), Brin. People with an epic vision usually.

I've flirted off and on with world building for years. Maybe this time I'll actually scratch that itch. Not sure if/when/how I'll go about it, but hanging out here seems like a heck of a start.

Steel General
10-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Gandwarf
10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Welcome to the guild!

Ascension
10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Welcome and have fun. There are plenty of tutorials here to get ya started on scratching that itch so scratch away.

Juggernaut1981
10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Ascension and RobA are happy to help you flirt with world building... RobA looks pretty fetching with waxed legs and a miniskirt...

Any rate... welcome to the Guild. Poke the gurus, dig in the tutes and stick up your work!

NeonKnight
10-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Immolate
10-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Anyway, enough sucking up.

What is this "enough" thing that you speak of?

Seriously though, I know what you mean about the "scary good" thing. When I first saw Ramah's feature map, I was blown away and never seriously contemplated being that good. I figured if I could get to be half that good, it would be worth spending a few years learning. But of course your goalposts move quickly when you learn how to do things, and mine have as well. Now my goal is to someday be 3/4 as good as Ramah, or at least inspire someone new the way he inspired me.

Welcome to the guild!

Gidde
10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Imm, after Siete Torres I think you've managed to inspire some folks ;)

Welcome aboard modernhamlet :) If you like GRRM, make sure to check out Tear's amazing Westeros map, if you haven't already.

zenram
10-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Welcome aboard!

modernhamlet
11-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Imm, after Siete Torres I think you've managed to inspire some folks ;)

Welcome aboard modernhamlet :) If you like GRRM, make sure to check out Tear's amazing Westeros map, if you haven't already.

Oddly enough, Siete Torres and Westeros are two of the maps I was specifically thinking about when I said "scary good"... =)

Thanks all for the well wishes. I'll try to get something going for that next Lite contest. Always good to have direction and a deadline to provide a little motivation!