PDA

View Full Version : RPG Fan and aspiring artist

swotavator
10-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey all, I have been trolling for about 6 months. Great site. I am artsy-fartsy, as people go, yet haven't done much digital. I am familiar with PSP and PS, but intend on using mapping to help learn these tools better.

Interests:
CRPG - mostly old Ultimas - such detailed worlds
WOT - Same - so much detail
Historic cartography - I intend to also create hand-made maps, eventually paint and calligraphy on parchment, to recreate some of the above worlds in true-historic fashion. This is something that I don't think I have really seen on the site yet. Here is an example of what I mean: http://www.mapsorama.com/maps/world/Pedro_Reinel_1504.jpg

Current Projects:
Hand made map on fake parchment made out of heavy watercolor stock, watercolor and calligraphy.
Ultima- Britannia heightmap, pieced together from DEM files. I intend on eventually using this in Terragen. It is totally not done yet, and not detailed enough, but I wonder why this community doens't crank out more heightmaps.
Here is a scaled down sample of rev.1 (actual is 8192x8192): See attached

I am more familiar with PSP, but want to work more on PS. I don't know much aout it, nad am not good at working with layers. In fact i don't know most of the basic features. Can anyone point to a thorough resource to help learn? Thanks for your help guys!

Ascension
10-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Welcome to The Guild. Check the Tutorials section for all sorts of step by step things to learn from. That's a sweet heightmap. We don't do a lot of that here because, well, most of us are poor and the free stuff only goes so big. If they ever made Maya for about $100 then there'd be a ton of them :) I did run your heightmap through a lighting effects filter and a gradient map in PS just to see what it looked like. Pretty cool.

su_liam
10-30-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm an HF guy myself. They're pretty difficult to build well, and if you're looking to build something that looks like a medieval parchment map found in a dragon's cess pool... it's not always a worthwhile effort. Now if you're more into mapping as a part of fullan worldbuilding, like I am, it's nice to be able to stick your map into bryce or tg and actually see your world.

Really nice job on the hf, there. Let's get this up on the WIPs page, eh?

Pruneau
10-30-2009, 03:07 AM
I'm brand new here myself, but still welcome to the guild! Some great looking stuff you have there! Heightmaps i remember from when I used to make maps for Myth and Myth II. There they were needed or your map would not work. On most 2D maps I wouldn't use them, although I can definitely see the sense behind having them for large scale map relief.

That olde style map looks really authentic! Just the right amount of wear, and I love those compass lines, gives it that "jenesaisquoi"

zenram
10-30-2009, 03:12 AM
Welcome to the guild, you can always search the tutorial for advie.

Steel General
10-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Welcome Aboard!

NeonKnight
10-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

swotavator
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys, That was sweet what you did with my map.
About the historical stuff, yeah, but I really want to make a vintage Britannia or WOT map and hang it on my wall. In real parchment (the stuff costs like 130 for a full hide). Some day.
I will definitely put this in WIP, or maybe it can be a community project. I like how it looks, but when it is put into world machine, it isn't scaled right. I was looking for like a 500 mile continent, and the resolution isn't good enough. Also, the islands i used to piece it together (indonesia, malaysia) had too much rain erosion and make the mountains too soft,low and tropical looking. Will continue to work on it though.

töff
10-30-2009, 11:33 AM
want to make a vintage Britannia or WOT map and hang it on my wall. In real parchmentHey GAMERPRINTER do you have that material on your shelf. :)

Gamerprinter
10-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I have access to various fine art papers, water color papers, canvas, etc, but I'll have to see if I have can print to parchment on my printer - not sure. I'll check it out this afternoon.

GP

swotavator
10-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Guys,
This is what I mean about parchment. It was the main material for western cultures to write on till about the late 16th century, coinciding till about the time the printing press came about. The result, almost any hand-made medieval map was painted on parchment not on paper.
This is the only place that sells real parchment: http://www.pergamena.net/index.php
It is essentially stretched, dried and sanded goat, sheep or calf skin.
It looks neat. The constitution was made on parchment. Much more robust than paper. Its funny, because of modern craft stores, when people think parchment they just think stained paper.

Here is a famous map painted on parchment:http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/users/nnj/GoughMap_large.jpg
this is what medieval maps would look like

Noon
01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Hello and welcome here.

I'm very busy currently and I don't have much time to comment maps. However I saw your handmade map and I appreciated it.

I make handmade maps (and also "GIMPmade" maps), with ink, watercolor, gouache, colored pencil, callygraphy ... and everything with a medieval style.
You can see some works in my album.
I'm currently making a set of five handmade maps for the Rhim world (have a look in my album). I will show them as soon as possible.

So if you have questions, do not hesitate :)

hubbardmapworks
01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
nice work. this is a hardcopy? how long did this take?
i met a local here who's into calligraphy:
http://www.vintagewriting.com/
welcome to the forum

ravells
01-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I may be missing something (probably am), but I think the link that swotavator posted is not of a map that he made but of a historical map in the bodlean library in Oxford University....