PDA

View Full Version : Shaladad and surrounds

The Pixie
10-30-2009, 06:57 PM
This is my first attempt at drawing a map on the computer (and first post here too!). I am using GIMP. So far I have the sea and land relief, plus cities/towns and some roads. I am not sure how to show the different terrain types, having tried a colour overlay for the "Living Forest". I am considering symbols in black s an alternative (eg, icons of trees for forest).

Gandwarf
10-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the guild The Pixie!
Your map has quite an interesting style, using contours to show different terrain. Not too fond of the font you are using, it's a bit plain I think. Oh and watch out with red as a color for the text. It's not always the best choice as it tends to blend into the terrain.

Ascension
10-30-2009, 10:22 PM
The standard atlas colors go from a medium blue to light blue for oceans, medium green to light green for lowland, dark orange/medium brown to white for mountains. But that just tells ya the different heights of the land not the terrain type. For that I am assuming you will want some tans for deserts, dark greens for swamps, grays for tundra, etc. I think your map is pretty cool so keep on doin' what ya do and welcome to The Guild.

Steel General
10-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Looking forward to seeing where you take this.