PDA

View Full Version : Sangravia

Sapiento
11-01-2009, 05:32 AM
This map shows the continent of Sangravia with the empire of the same name. The cold north means that the greatest towns are further south. Many monasteries exist in this realm where the warriors monks constantly develop new magical runes to keep a tight rein on the ancient elemental demons. The God Emperor rules over all of Sangravia with an iron fist.
The banner of Sangravia depicts the griffon, the most important war beast of the imperial guard.

Made completely in PS 4, apart of the griffon, which is a vector from an open clipart library. The brushes for the key are from a brush pack I found in the forum, but forgot who posted it. Whoever it was, thank you.

Gandwarf
11-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Very, very nice. And the style is a bit different then I have come to expect from you, which is nice as well. The trees and mountains look great. It looks like a magical place!

The only thing I am not too fond of, is the white city icons.

Ramah
11-01-2009, 06:47 AM
I like it. I liked this colour palette in your trading map and it looks good on this too. The mountains and trees are really good. I'm not too struck on that texture you have along the bottom edges of the map but that's hardly a negative.
Overall it reminds me of another map that I once saw on here but I cannot remember who the mapper was.

Good stuff.

Sapiento
11-01-2009, 06:48 AM
I found recently the site (http://www.theredepic.com/) of a very good artist (maybe it is the one you saw, Ramah) with great maps which inspired me to try a similar style.
I played around with different ideas for the city symbols and decided in the end for white icons because the contrast is better than with black ones.

Gandwarf
11-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Ah yes, The Red Epic. He is also sometimes visiting this forum.

Steel General
11-01-2009, 07:38 AM
It's a neat style, very whimsical and fairy-tale like.

Ramah
11-01-2009, 07:44 AM
I found recently the site (http://www.theredepic.com/) of a very good artist (maybe it is the one you saw, Ramah) with great maps which inspired me to try a similar style.
I played around with different ideas for the city symbols and decided in the end for white icons because the contrast is better than with black ones.

Heh. Yes, that is exactly the one I was thinking of. :)

Noon
11-01-2009, 09:30 AM
I appreciate your map, because it make me think of an illustration, and I love illustrations.
And thank you for the redepic site, a great source of inspiration.

RobA
11-01-2009, 05:39 PM
I like the style, almost cartoony (the trees - which I might have to steal!).

Not too fond of the gryphon or the glyphs, but no biggie.

-Rob A>

Gidde
11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I really love the glyphs, especially the glow and the color. They remind me a bit of the ones in Elantris.

IngIngsvar
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
This map almost looks like it was done in watercolors.

Sapiento
11-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Yes, I tried a different style this time; was quite satisfied with the result.

Diamond
11-11-2009, 10:54 PM
That's nice, man. Very pretty. Only thing I didn't care for was the stark white city/etc icons...