PDA

View Full Version : *** November 2009 Challenge - The Destroyed Lands ***

Gandwarf
11-01-2009, 06:43 PM
This month's challenge is the "The Destroyed Lands" map suggested by Gamerprinter

The goal is to map a place that was forever changed by a series of cataclysmic events. The impact op the cataclysm should be clearly visible, maybe even altering the terrain. It's up to you to decide if there's any survivors and what kind of life they now lead. Just remember, the more mayhem, the merrier.

Some examples of possible maps:

- A planet scorched by the sun.
- A city overrun by demons from a portal.
- A regional map depicting a huge crater left by a comet (or a moon?).
- A world wrecked by a godly war.
- The United States after the Zombie apocalypse.
- Lands confronted by a new ice age.
- Nuclear Armageddon.
- Nature fighting back!
- The human colonies after aliens blasted them all to smithereens.
- A dungeon after Gromet and party visited it (certainly a cataclysm for the dungeon master ;) )

The challenge will end around the 25th of november.

Please title your entry with the name of your map. For example: November Entry - The Day The Earth Stood Still

Gamerprinter
11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Shouldn't this be the November 2009 Challenge?

GP

Gandwarf
11-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Ehh... yes, it is?

Coyotemax
11-02-2009, 03:49 AM
- A dungeon after Gromet and party visited it (certainly a cataclysm for the dungeon master ;) )

Ack! Now you've given me no choice!

waldronate
11-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Combine two themes! Disaster and Thanksgiving! A town destroyed by a mass escape of rabid turkeys from the poultry processing plant at the edge of town!

The United States during the next ice age caused by being overrun by godlike zombie turkeys?
Too far?

Coyotemax
11-02-2009, 06:41 AM
I've always been a fan of the "No kill like an overkill" approach :P

waldronate
11-02-2009, 07:53 AM
The Dungeoneer's Handbook, Volume IX, Chapter 12: "Paranoid dungeon owners are known to hide loot in their furniture. Tabletops, for example, may be laminated wood that hide treasure maps. Similarly, table legs may be hollow to hide wands or scroll cases. For these reasons we recommend that all furniture be dismantled and each piece broken to ensure that no items of importance will be missed."

The next time your party comes across a room that looks like it was visited by a family of hyperactive beavers that brought along some rabid wolverines for cleanup then you'll know that the adventurers were merely being "thorough" like they learned in school.

mearrin69
11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
That's a great quote. Last time I played in a longish campaign my fellow party members used to roll up the carpets and scrape off the gold leaf any time we dispatched the bad guy that owned the stuff. No treasure chest? No problem: This flooring is nice, gotta be worth something. Hey! Is that Travertine?

Good to see the map doesn't have to be regional scale. I was thinking of something that shows the effects on a more personal scale.
M

Immolate
11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
This flooring is nice, gotta be worth something. Hey! Is that Travertine?

Spoken like a man who has never done battle with ancient thinset.

ravells
11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Combine two themes! Disaster and Thanksgiving! A town destroyed by a mass escape of rabid turkeys from the poultry processing plant at the edge of town!

The United States during the next ice age caused by being overrun by godlike zombie turkeys?
Too far?

I love it! Once a year the chief Turkey could pick one lucky politician who doesn't get eaten!

Greason Wolfe
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
This is so very tempting. But I don't want to get caught in another of those situations where I don't have time to finish before the deadline. Still, the temptation, oh the temptation.

GW

rdanhenry
11-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Well, although I'm already behind in NaNoWriMo, this challenge fits a map I've wanted to do for a long time. I'll start with a 'before' map, then build up the destruction. My entry will depict Ancient Skaro, near the end of the 1000 Year War. I won't be able to lavish a lot of time on it, but I'm not going to win anyway.

töff
11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Once a year the chief Turkey could pick one lucky politician who doesn't get eaten!

"And now that the job is almost done,
Maybe some escape?
No! Not even one!"
Yeh I know, it should be in the Lyrics thread. But still. Given the precise nature of their prey, I don't want those turkeys to be merciful.

(Anybody know that tune?)

Boethius61
11-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't know why something so infantile occured to me but . . .

Image the world is actually the body of a giant. One poor dude builds his castle on the giants butt. One day, the giant . . . well . . . farts.

(Sorry . . . I don't know why! I just couldn't resist)

ravells
11-07-2009, 10:57 AM
The could make a film of that...call it 'Gone with the Wind'.

bbentsen
11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I think the "disaster and Thanksgiving" theme has been done already. I'm sure that there is not a native american alive that doesn't view the first Thanksgiving as a disaster.;)

Syt
11-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Guess I should have saved the postapocalyptic Kellingtown map from the Lite Archeology contest for this one instead. :lol:

Gandwarf
11-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Only 3 more days people, then the challenge closes and the voting begins.

If anyone has a good suggestion for the next challenge, post it up in the challenge suggestions forum.

Gandwarf
11-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Closing the challenge in about 8 hours from this post.