PDA

View Full Version : November Entry - Qonworld

Djekspek
11-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi all, not sure if I can measure up with 'the big' challenge but time is on my side this month and these challenges provide the perfect means to learn a lot fast.. so I'll give it a go :)

The basic idea: Qonworld is a magical disc-shaped world floating in space (no, not on the back of a giant turtle ;) The world almost cracked in two due to a failed magical experiment. And of course, thousands of people died. The map is timed a few months after the cataclyms. The cracked world is now drained from water and magic and probably will collapse eventually...

I guess i'll come up with more lore during the creating process :) The style will be similar to my latest sort-of-iso try. Don't know if I can pull it off yet but I'll give it a shot... basic 1st draft sketch attached... cheers!

mearrin69
11-03-2009, 03:48 PM
The sketch is rough but gives the impression I think. Looking forward to seeing it progress...your iso map was cool.
M

industrygothica
11-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Somehow I think you'll do just fine in the big-boy challenge. ;)

-IG

Steel General
11-03-2009, 04:45 PM
More fresh meat! :D

Juggernaut1981
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
SG> Please only eat his entrails after he submits his final map.

Djekspek
11-03-2009, 05:58 PM
hehe, luckily I only need my hands and eyes else I'd quit right now... but I'm no vegetarian either ;)

Djekspek
11-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Just to give some idea where I'm heading with this... don't mind the texturing yet, mainly been experimenting with water... there will be a lot in the map... and did some ISO-building-practise too (if you can find it...) the cataclysm look-and-feel still to be determined, hope to be able to give the crack an apocalyptic-look-and-feel.. already having lots of fun with this :D ... but still so much to do .. cheers

industrygothica
11-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Just to give some idea where I'm heading with this... don't mind the texturing yet, mainly been experimenting with water... there will be a lot in the map... and did some ISO-building-practise too (if you can find it...) the cataclysm look-and-feel still to be determined, hope to be able to give the crack an apocalyptic-look-and-feel.. already having lots of fun with this :D ... but still so much to do .. cheers

Well, you should already be making the other entrants sufficiently nervous. The water is great. I especially love the waterfalls flowing over the side.

-IG

Ascension
11-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Whoa. That's all I've got to say.

guyanonymous
11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
That's edgy.

mearrin69
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
You're going to go and make me give you some more rep. :) Looking pretty good. Love the background.
M

Steel General
11-04-2009, 07:47 AM
SG> Please only eat his entrails after he submits his final map.

Oh, OK... :oops:

@Djekspek - That is really quite cool looking. I did the whole floating land mass thing a few months ago for a challenge, but not with the iso perspective like you have.

Sapiento
11-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Very interesting concept, Djekspek. I had thought about something similar, but decided for a city map.

wormspeaker
11-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I like! I await the final version!

Djekspek
11-04-2009, 10:48 AM
omg, what have i started... everywhere there is detais to fill in... hopping around from one place to anoher... still all very sketchy but i think i got the picture how I want it in my head... now to get it all in this freakin map

jfrazierjr
11-04-2009, 12:08 PM
omg, what have i started... everywhere there is detais to fill in... hopping around from one place to anoher... still all very sketchy but i think i got the picture how I want it in my head... now to get it all in this freakin map

You have done quite well... Is Smudge now your favorite tool??? It is mine...

Djekspek
11-04-2009, 12:29 PM
hehe thanks, yeah, ye gotte love smudge alright :D it is ruining my wacom though and my pentips get squared points all time :/

Djekspek
11-05-2009, 06:49 PM
details details... shot may not seem as much progress but i guess its details from now on... scale not all perfect and have to redo some mountains... also the fire should be more fiery... well... most of the work this evening went into drawing a dragon... for my 1st dragon am happy with it but someone could have given me a heads-up that drawing dragons requires a lot of practise ;)

RobA
11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Looking great! I missed the start of this one, so wow! Nice job!

-Rob A>

Ascension
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh hey, by the way...drawing dragons takes a lot of practice. :) Good stuff.

Djekspek
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
hehe, thanks for the heads-up ;) latest WIP. details details... finally getting the hang of some of the techniques i'm using for this map. redid a load of stuff and added details... iso-structures still need tons of work tho ... and still need to get some technique for fire :( .. but 'll get there

wormspeaker
11-12-2009, 05:35 PM
For the fire, you might just want to blur it a bit and add some glow.

Steel General
11-13-2009, 07:44 AM
There are gobs of tutorials on the web for creating fire in Photoshop, a little Google-Fu will probably find you what you need.

Djekspek
11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
thanks SG, found some fire-method that seems fitting. still need te work on integrating the fires into the map but they look much better now. furthermore been working on the iso's for the cities. Just hope I can finish this all in time as I already completely overspend the numer of hours I wanted to put in this ;)

Ascension
11-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I've spent so much time drooling over this that I just noticed that travel here is very tough. If one wanted to go from the little city on the edge by the kraken to the medium city west of there (both in the south) one has to take a boat up to the forest, beach the boat north of the chasm, cross the mountains, build a boat at the coast (there is no port on either side), sail around the elevated city, beach the new boat on the coast near the city with blue spires, trek the forest, cross the mountains, and come to a dead end as that chasm near the pink crystals has no bridge or anything. I hope there are flying ships or griffons or teleporters :)

My prodigality aside, it's a great work of art and when you get it done it goes straight to my Inspiration Folder.

Djekspek
11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
travel...hmm.. well, since the continent almost broke in two, travel became difficult... still, there already was some floating island where people needed to travel. ah.. gonne add some zeppelins. thanks for the pointer Ascension :D

Boethius61
11-17-2009, 03:23 PM
This is awesome!

Djekspek
11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
thanks ... one more detailled pass done to smooth out oddities... harbor and zeppelins added so people can travel around now, more iso's done... one more city to go. also first labelling... probs needs smaller font and i do need to get a divine creative boost on the naming .. but cant really force that tho ;)
###Latest WIP###

Djekspek
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
So... I guess this is the final version. Added one more ruined city and created a border using steampunk typography tutorial from photoshop magazine. I left the labelling as is though I'm not 100% satisfied with it. Must say I had a blast creating this (took me a big amount of time and without this guild I would never have finished it, so thanks all for the C&C!) ... and best of all I learned a lot of new techniques! :D

"Qonworld is a magical disc-shaped world floating in space (no, not on the back of a giant turtle. The world almost cracked in two due to a failed magical experiment. And of course, thousands of people died. The map is timed a few months after this cataclyms, now known as "the Great Evisceration". Although the great well still works providing the world with water, the world is now slowly drained from water..."

###Latest WIP###

jfrazierjr
11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
What a lovely piece of work!!! I have been eagerly following the development of this piece since the first color version...

One major complaint and a few minor nibbles (which aren't even close to critical to "fix"). For me Worlds End is just way to minuscule. With the forced perspective, unless the town is populated by partial sized people, the town should be the same size or larger in terms of scale as the other cities.

I see in your latest round that the City formerly known as Qan's northern forest actually a cliff. This bugged my "a lot" before adding the forest as it did not appear to be a coastline and just the end of land and beginning of water. With the addition of the forest, it really helped ease the lack of transition, and with the broken warped city, it made me realize that that the peninsula is actually a cliff instead (see next minor quibble).

Lastly, I see you have a dark shadow on one of your air boats, but no other shadows anywhere... I would suggest either ditching that shadow OR adding a muted shadow in all the right places(SE of the large statue, SE of the formerly mentioned cliff face over the water, the three rocks, the sailing ships, etc)

Again, this is a tremendously lovely piece of work, and the only big thing for me is the scale of Worlds End. The rest are just minor embellishments "I" would make. Even still, I am fairly certain that this map will garner my vote in the challenge either way.

wormspeaker
11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Indeed a beautiful piece of art.

Djekspek
11-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys. And jfrazierjr you're absolutely right about the too small town. guess that whats happening if you spend to much time zooming around so thanks for the pointer. Also the shade only on the zeppelin was odd indeed. Hmm, ok one more version ;)
###Latest WIP###

DeDiceManCometh
11-20-2009, 11:16 PM
My only additional comment is that the cloud-like texture of the water seems to go against the iso perspective -- it looks very top-down. I'd suggest generating the same texture in a rectangle perhaps twice the height of the map, but then flatten it down to the map dimensions so it has that iso look.

But really,...quite nice. Unique style.

Ascension
11-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Good eye DiceMan, I never noticed it.

Gandwarf
11-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Very, very nice. I said it before, but this style has a great fairy tale feel to it. I would expect to find a map like this in a children's fantasy book for example (especially with the humor that you worked into the labels). You can be really proud of it!

Would love to have a nice apartment in World's End :)

Djekspek
11-21-2009, 02:27 PM
thanks for the compliments! and a sharp eye indeed DiceMan. For the water I used a double texture (one standard water texture and another one with rendered cloud texture) with only the rendered cloud texture in perspective and thought it to be sufficient. Indeed when I look again now it could be much better.... well, since the dead-line didn't hit yet one more 'final' version. Oh and Gandwarf, there should be enough empty houses in World's End since the cataclysm, I'll try to get a number of one of the real estate agents there ;)

###Latest WIP###

Immolate
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Djekspek,

Everything in the picture has a soft, roundy, slightly blurry look, which I think adds to the magic, except the title and border. That I don't have a problem with. But the airships, although round, are sharp. The distraction is slight, but I think the overall work would be improved if you could soften them a bit.

Djekspek
11-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Saw i missed some shades (probs many more little flaws).. also smudged the zeppelins and the border a bit to make the style more consistent as immolate suggested (thanks ;). normally I think I would reduce resolution a bit as well to 'hide the many small flaws' but for this post I'll keep the full resolution.

###Latest WIP###

industrygothica
11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Make sure to add a WIP tag to it so the correct version will show up in the thumbs.

-IG