PDA

View Full Version : November Entry - Survivor's Map

Juggernaut1981
11-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Okay, the plan is something like this.

Take a city map (nice street-map type map) from a city.
Invent a suitable apocalypse (I will avoid the Zombie-pocalypse options).
Draw all over the map to detail the changes to the city, in its post-non-Zombiealypse state, also random notes, etc.
Weather it.
Distress it.
Make it look like it is owned by a post-apocalyptic hobo.

Now... which city...

Japan (cliched but suitable for any large dinosaur-monster type apocalypse)
Shanghai (nice city, been there and walked over a lot of the downtown district, great train system)
Sydney (Domum dolce domum)
Melbourne (just because I can...)

Any other cities people think should be destroyed by an apocalypse? I'm kind of willing to take requests here...

Djekspek
11-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I like the idea! :D ... I would love to see Godzilla tear apart The Hague ... Maybe crush the Peace Palace?

rdanhenry
11-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Japan is not a city. I assume you mean Tokyo? Might be interesting to do a relatively obscure Japanese city. How about Mexico City? Overrun by time traveling, magically-superpowered Aztecs bent on retaking their empire?

Steel General
11-04-2009, 06:44 AM
I've always wanted to see Red Square in Moscow awash in giant creature doo-doo. :D

Redrobes
11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Glad to see you entering again. I hoped you weren't put off by voting scores.

Juggernaut1981
11-04-2009, 05:29 PM
With my level of confidence and self deprecation... a mere thing such as getting zero votes on a challenge you suggested is a non-event!

Please, first Challenge Suggestions... next US Presidency (although I may have doctor some documents so I am a US citizen... and a few other things) or maybe just go for Mayor of NYC if I'm feeling just a little kind of lazy...

Juggernaut1981
11-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Japan is not a city. I assume you mean Tokyo? Might be interesting to do a relatively obscure Japanese city. How about Mexico City? Overrun by time traveling, magically-superpowered Aztecs bent on retaking their empire?

Yes I was thinking Tokyo, or Osaka.

mmmm.... Ancient Giant Collossal Aztec Gods... Quetzacoatl must SMASH!

Juggernaut1981
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Okay, so I think I've decided to destroy Rio de Janeiro.
Here is my base map.
Step 1: Remove the watermark
Step 2: Figure out what destroyed Rio (I'm not going to suggest it was a giant rampant alien thong bikini...)
Step 3: Figure out where everyone ends up after and what doesn't make it.

Ascension
11-08-2009, 08:28 PM
With all of that colossal rump-shakin during Carnivale I'm surprised that some buildings haven't been knocked down yet.

Gamerprinter
11-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Doesn't Heinlein's Starship Troopers begin when the bugs sent meteor/comet to strike the Earth at Sao Paulo, Brazil? Rio's not too far.

GP

Juggernaut1981
11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure quite what I want the disaster to be.

Some thoughts:

Plague
Nothing like a good plague to cause chaos to a population. Feels a little cliched after the awesome persistence of the Resident Evil series, it's like the thing is a zombie or a vampire or something undead...

Alien Invasion
Again, staple of so many action movies and nearly B-grade Sci Fi stories.

Humans are too smart for their own safety
Mad Scientist A creates a device that does [insert words with 9 syllables that mean footwear, colliding matter or a state of cheese] and accidentally screws the world into a [insert vaguely plausible scenario, add Jeff Goldblum and it's almost believable... like Santa]
This includes the "Post Nuclear Winter" Scenario, the Global Warming killed us all and Some Jerk Built A Roach Bomb That Created Sentient Rats.

Meteorite
"Mummy, I wanna launch Bruce Willis into a meteorite! Does Aerosmith play when every meteorite is about to blow up the world? Why are they trying to make babies when they won't be alive for her to get the baby?"

Again, staple concept. Leads to variations on the "Chernobyl Nuclear Winter".

I think I have it... *puts it under wraps*
"I have a cunning plan... First we'll build a large wooden badger..."

Juggernaut1981
11-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Argh, removing watermarks = pain in the ass...

Why can't you get a map that isn't published by Google without a damned watermark!

rdanhenry
11-10-2009, 03:21 AM
Rio, huh? I vote for a Duran Duran concert gone horribly wrong.

Juggernaut1981
11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm sorry it's decided. Everyone was killed by a zombified Flock of Seagulls

Immolate
11-10-2009, 08:05 PM
More interesting would be a zombified flock of Segals. Steven Segals. Butt-kicking, elbow throwing (literally), jaw breaking undead with a faintly mystical/oriental side. Kinda like they traveled to the far east, learned about zen and yin and yang and then learned to beat the crap out of the living with it. The kind of zombies who grit their rotting teeth at you and grimace while putting a whaling harpoon through your eye. Could work.

Juggernaut1981
11-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Immolate:
The Flock of Seagulls is actually a music reference to follow up after the Duran Duran suggestion. Not actually some kind of twisted Resident Evil "flock of zombie seagulls" (although they would go after your fingers instead of the chips at the beach).

The disaster will remain under wraps until a later juncture...

Sapiento
11-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Doesn't Heinlein's Starship Troopers begin when the bugs sent meteor/comet to strike the Earth at Sao Paulo, Brazil? Rio's not too far.

GP

I think it was Buenos Aires, at least in the movie.

Steel General
11-11-2009, 07:04 AM
I can just picture a zombie with that ridiculous hairdo the lead singer of 'Flock' had in the "I Ran" video...truly frightening.

..and don't forget Steven Seagal also plays guitar and sings. :)

Juggernaut1981
11-11-2009, 04:30 PM
SG> I now have the most broken image in my head...

It involves Steven Segal & Rusty Russel Crowe and other males from music and movies...:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Segal wears his "I'm Just a Cook" outfit...
Rusty Crowe in his "I'm about to kill the Ceasar" Gladiator gear...
David Bowie in his Labyrinth gear...
Sting in his Dune gear...
Phil Collins... (if Phil hasn't been in any movie, I might eat my shoe... but only lightly sauteed in garlic with truffles. If I'm eating a shoe, it's got to cost the people making me do it too...)

5 male voices singing Beach Boys harmony from their brains-loving, half-rotted, zombie-teeth-missing mouths...

If anyone around this forum is good at whipping up a quick parody sketch... I believe I should be awarded REP (or possibly great public "Go to the Naughty Corner") for the above twisted idea.

I really do have a cartoon brain. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Greason Wolfe
11-15-2009, 05:09 PM
SG> I now have the most broken image in my head...

It involves Steven Segal & Rusty Russel Crowe and other males from music and movies...:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Segal wears his "I'm Just a Cook" outfit...
Rusty Crowe in his "I'm about to kill the Ceasar" Gladiator gear...
David Bowie in his Labyrinth gear...
Sting in his Dune gear...
Phil Collins... (if Phil hasn't been in any movie, I might eat my shoe... but only lightly sauteed in garlic with truffles. If I'm eating a shoe, it's got to cost the people making me do it too...)

5 male voices singing Beach Boys harmony from their brains-loving, half-rotted, zombie-teeth-missing mouths...

If anyone around this forum is good at whipping up a quick parody sketch... I believe I should be awarded REP (or possibly great public "Go to the Naughty Corner") for the above twisted idea.

I really do have a cartoon brain. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I think you're safe. Phil was in at least one movie that was aired recently on the CW or some such. I don't recall the name of the movie, and only watched about 5 minutes or so of it. I believe, he's also been in a couple other movies, but again, I can't recall the names of them.

GW

alexandream
11-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Hah! I just joined this forum (I'm trying to learn from you guys, and didn't post anything yet) a couple days ago, but I have to say something: Go on with Rio! I'd love to see what some of you map-making guys could make my Rio look like. It'll be quite interesting :)

Juggernaut1981
11-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I'll try post up a WIP of the de-watermarked map.
Lesson: being persistent enough to find a map WITHOUT a watermark is better than trying to edit the sucker out later...

Juggernaut1981
11-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Here it is.
Damned long time to get this sorta cleaned up...

Djekspek
11-20-2009, 04:00 AM
now where did that watermark go? it looked awesome on the map! hehe, just kidding, a clean removal job indeed... can't wait to see you rip this thing apart ;)

Steel General
11-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Better hurry though, time is running out :)

Arcaneheriophant
11-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I usually don't say anything but I think that I should in this case (as I am Brazilian).

first, some of the map is in Spanish not Portuguese (Train terminal is estasión, in portuguese its Estação, its Praia not Playa and so on) but this is not that big an issue.

Also I would vote for the end of Rio to be something less common in traditional apocalypse scenarios. People decide they no longer like civilization and trash the place, some hold out and there is a massive war between those who just want to go back to "nature" and those that think that living in cities isn't that bad.

Just a thought

Ecrocken
11-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi folks. I recently found this place. LOVE seeing everyone's work. I'm not comfortable enough to put anything up here, yet, but I had a question. How DID you get rid of the watermark? :P

~EC

Juggernaut1981
11-22-2009, 05:09 PM
It's simple, time consuming and terminally frustrating.

I got that nice orange colour, that nice green colour and white.
I made a new layer.
I drew over the watermark and coloured neatly inside the lines. Then deleted any text that I'd "half deleted" by drawing over it as well. Every so often I copied an icon I saw somewhere else.

If anyone knows a better way, I'm sure others would like to hear. Next time I'm going to use a clean map.

Juggernaut1981
11-22-2009, 05:14 PM
I usually don't say anything but I think that I should in this case (as I am Brazilian).

first, some of the map is in Spanish not Portuguese (Train terminal is estasión, in portuguese its Estação, its Praia not Playa and so on) but this is not that big an issue.

I've had an idea in my head since I started the thread for what I would do.

I'll let the cat out of the bag, a little.

This is going to be a map, owned by a survivor of the events that have happened to Rio.

It's come partially from Sliders, partially from that "Area 51"-type movie that just came out that was based in South Africa (I think?) and numerous other "semi-apocalyptic" movies and TV-series.

Rio was the landing point for a colonisation and enslavement of humans. We are being treated as cattle, only good for performing labour, being bred to supply new labourers and otherwise treated like crap. Our world is being turned into an intergalactic manufacturing site and treated worse than even we managed.

This map is owned by a Survivor. It will be further distressed but I am planning to post up an "un distressed" version later today. After that I'm going to steal some of those nice paper textures found in the resources section and then distress the map in general.

Juggernaut1981
11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Here it is... the template for future destruction. Please enjoy my scrawled handwriting.

alexandream
11-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Nice sketch. I just thought you might like to know that most of the places you set as "Camps" are, pre apocalypse, hills. Some of them, rocky hills that would take some hard work to turn into a place people could use as living areas. Particularly, the one in the bottom part of the map, is the Sugar-loaf: a granite monolith around 400 meters (around 1300 feet) tall. Those aliens will have to blast it quite a lot to turn it into a place even cattle could live ;-)

I live in Rio so, if you need any sort of information about the city as it is to plan your positioning of things, I'd gladly help.

And just in case you don't know: This map shows about 50% of the city. Mostly the southern zone, where we have the wealthiest part of the population, the "Downtown" to the east and a piece of the northern zone, where we have our low-wealth suburbs. The newest parts of the city, mainly the western zone are not depicted in this map. But I think it's already big enough to be quite the work, so it shouldn't matter that it's not the whole city, anyways. :)

Juggernaut1981
11-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Alex,
Thanks, I don't know how finished this will be either... I can feel a summer flu coming on... :( Sniffles, coughs, sneezes, feeling like I was run over by a bus, etc.

With 10 years to do terrain reshaping and the like, I'm comfortable with the idea they could remove, or build into, Sugarloaf with enough speed to make it worth keeping that spot as a camp... etc etc for the other locations.

Either that or I just "bulldoze" built up areas.

Anyway, once I fight through the wall of treacle in my own brain to get to functioning normally, I'll potentially finish this... :S

Juggernaut1981
11-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Here is what I'm going to put up.
It's half assed but right now I'm not feeling up to doing heaps...

### Latest WIP ###

wormspeaker
11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Kind of reminds me of something my players did during my WWIII game I ran a while back. I had given them a map of various nuked sites and biohazard areas, and one of my players went out to his car and got a road map and started copying the information onto it so that he could use it during the game.

Juggernaut1981
11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks Wormspeaker.
It's sort of that idea. It was always meant to be an individual's own map, in a time/place where they wouldn't have Google-maps, a GPS or even be able to easily move in public. It's still not as "finished" as I would like but mapping through a flu/headcold is not really awesome.

alexandream
11-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey! There's a safehouse around 5 blocks from my place, guess I'll be alright, then ;)

I like it!