PDA

View Full Version : The Continent of Amalga

elemental_elf
11-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Here is my latest attempt at mapping the Continent of Amalga. It's not quite done but I figured now is the best time to get some feedback. All concerns, criticisms and advice are welcome! :)

Hmm, it seems the upload is converting my file to JPEG (from PNG)... here's a link to the same file on my deviant art account (it has better clarity). (http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/308/b/b/The_Continent_of_Amalga_by_Elemental_Elf.png)

Thank you in advance! :)

Steel General
11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks pretty nice to me...the mountain symbols may be a bit on the 'heavy'/thick' side.

Are you going to add forest, swamp or hill symbols?

elemental_elf
11-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Looks pretty nice to me...the mountain symbols may be a bit on the 'heavy'/thick' side.

Really? Hmm, I could decrease their opacity, would that help?

Are you going to add forest, swamp or hill symbols?

I would love to but I'm unsure how to go about that. Forests are easy, just make a Tree symbol and dot it around but Swamps not so sure.

Ascension
11-04-2009, 05:36 PM
I like the colors and I can see a fancy frame really setting this off. Something about the mountains is a bit off, not sure if it's the thick feel or the darkness or the black color of them. Maybe try a gray or something in a dark brown. Maybe it's the repetitiveness, shrug. I'm really at a loss but the main thing is that they are too prominent and stand out too much.

elemental_elf
11-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I like the colors and I can see a fancy frame really setting this off. Something about the mountains is a bit off, not sure if it's the thick feel or the darkness or the black color of them. Maybe try a gray or something in a dark brown. Maybe it's the repetitiveness, shrug. I'm really at a loss but the main thing is that they are too prominent and stand out too much.

I'll see what I can do for a nice frame :)

As for the mountains Here's a quick change over to more of a gray (still working on a brown).

Steel General
11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I like the gray, you might give lowering the opacity a shot and see how it turns out.

elemental_elf
11-05-2009, 12:33 AM
How's this?

Coyotemax
11-05-2009, 02:41 AM
I think i've finally put my finger on what seems off with the mountains (at least to me). It's the dark shading. the darkened portion (left mountainside) is too uniform, there's nothing that really breaks it up.
It might be because I've gotten used to hand drawing them with lines, there's breakup in the pattern that way. In these, the shadow areas are solid.

Not really sure how to change that without doing a lot of work. perhaps a layer style with a pattern overlay of a broken up set of lines..

elemental_elf
11-05-2009, 02:50 AM
I think i've finally put my finger on what seems off with the mountains (at least to me). It's the dark shading. the darkened portion (left mountainside) is too uniform, there's nothing that really breaks it up.
It might be because I've gotten used to hand drawing them with lines, there's breakup in the pattern that way. In these, the shadow areas are solid.

Not really sure how to change that without doing a lot of work. perhaps a layer style with a pattern overlay of a broken up set of lines..

Hmm, I see what you mean. :)

Here's my first try at adding definition to the shaded side:

elemental_elf
11-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Thank you everyone for all the help you've rendered! You guys have been great! :) :D

Ok here's the latest version of the map, it implements many of the great tips you've posted!

I hope you like it :)

Coyotemax
11-05-2009, 04:45 AM
Oh yes, that's much better. Nice progress!

Sapiento
11-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Beautiful map!

Gidde
11-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Agreed, that's looking a lot better. I love the forests; more trees please!

elemental_elf
11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh yes, that's much better. Nice progress!

Beautiful map!

Thank you! :oops:

Agreed, that's looking a lot better. I love the forests; more trees please!

Ask and yee shall receive!

~~~~

Ok, here's the map with some additional forests. I'm trying to strike a balance between too much and too little, so tell me if I went too far :)

ravells
11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Sublime colours, and I love the forests. For me the mountains are not quite there - I think the lines on them are too thick so they look a little out of place. The rest of it is beautiful though.

elemental_elf
11-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Sublime colours, and I love the forests. For me the mountains are not quite there - I think the lines on them are too thick so they look a little out of place. The rest of it is beautiful though.

Thank you for the compliments :)

So the mountains are too... Thick? How so? Are they just too large (size wise) or the lines too wide? :?:

At any rate, here's the latest version of the map with most of the forested areas full shown (save the murkmire (which is more of a swamp-forest...).

elemental_elf
11-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Ok I redrew my mountains using a 1 pixel brush (as opposed to the 2 pixel one I used before).

Love to hear what you guys think :)

Steel General
11-06-2009, 06:47 AM
The mountains are much better I think...

ravells
11-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Sorry for being vague, I meant that I thought the line was too wide, which you've dealt with using the 1 px brush. Looking much better!

Coyotemax
11-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Yes, that's looking just fine. (was that a pun?)

I forgot to mention earlier, i just love those trees!

LonewandererD
11-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Great map but that little whale in the bottom right is looking a little lonely, does it demote a special area/whale or is it just for decoration?

-D-

elemental_elf
11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for the help you have provided. With out you, this map wouldn't look half as good as it does now! :)

With that said, is there anything else I can do to make it better?

P.S. @LonewandererD: The Whale was meant to be hidden for this version of the map. My next goal is to add some dragons, whales and ships to make the map feel a bit more archaic (and to fill in some of the wide open spots). :)

AlohaRover
11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
What do you think the scale is? How many miles is it from one end to the other?

scale is the stumbling block for me atm

elemental_elf
11-09-2009, 07:07 AM
What do you think the scale is? How many miles is it from one end to the other?

scale is the stumbling block for me atm

Aye for me as well.

Currently, I am beginning the long process of fleshing the world out and, honestly, I think I may have grossly over estimated the size of this 'continent'. You see this world is derived from many different campaigns I have DM/GMed over the years, stitched together to make a pleasing whole.

Looking at all my in games notes, it appears it took a group 3 days of walking to get from Paradise to the mountains at the end of the river that travels north-west of the city.... It was late fall, so let's say they had 9 good hours of walking at roughly a 3 mil per hour pace.... So the distance would be roughly 72 miles.

Using that as a measuring stick, I can (very) roughly say that the land is (around) 4 bars wide and 10 long.... So 288 miles east-west by 720 north-south, giving us a total of 207,360 square miles (roughly). This makes Amalga roughly equal to mainland France.

Now I must decide is this large enough? Perhaps it's too big? Hmm... :?: :shock: :((