PDA

View Full Version : My first world map

Tear
11-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm trying to get my feet wet with world mapping. C&C more than welcome and deeply appreciated. Here is what I have so far:

Steel General
11-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Looks good so far, some neat land shapes to work with.

altasilvapuer
11-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm with Steel: Really intriguing landforms, there. It feels like an otherwise real, breathing world from which all the mountains, forests, and other landforms have been stripped.

Is this based on a fractal world, or your own work, if you don't mind my asking? Because if it's the latter, I'd love a tutorial on your process.

-asp

The-Somberlain
11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I think the left side of the map is the most interesting...

Would you consider joining the two large areas in the middle?

Tear
11-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Would you consider joining the two large areas in the middle?

I thought about it, but I think I'll keep them separated.

Is this based on a fractal world, or your own work, if you don't mind my asking? Because if it's the latter, I'd love a tutorial on your process.

It's all Photoshop. Here is a quick run-through:
I started with a rendered cloud layer in a high resolution (because the vanilla cloud filter does pretty large clouds) and put a threshold adjustment layer on top. Then I filled the areas where I didn't want any land to show up with black in the cloud layer using feathered selections. You could also use a soft black brush, I guess. Next I connected land areas using a big low-opacity (like 10% or so) soft white brush. I used the same brush to paint some islands in, just make sure you don't paint on the area you filled with black before. Sometimes it takes several pen strokes on the same spot to make the shapes come up where you want them.
Once all the basic shapes were done, I flattened the image and reduced the image size to half the height and width. The pixelated shape outlines get smoothed that way.
I used the result as a layer mask and applied some last touches to the land shapes there.

Ramah
11-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I've been messing around with a similar way of creating coastlines. Well... similar only in the fact that it uses an adjustment threshold layer, which is the magic ingredient.
My method is concerned with taking shapes you already know and breaking them up somewhat.

Looking great so far btw, Tear. As always. I fear another map on the horizon to make all us lesser mortals weep.

Tear
11-08-2009, 06:07 AM
A small ocean floor update:

Ascension
11-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Very subtle...nice work.

Tear
11-12-2009, 08:59 AM
With land textures:

smyrin
11-12-2009, 09:53 AM
I've been messing around with a similar way of creating coastlines. Well... similar only in the fact that it uses an adjustment threshold layer, which is the magic ingredient.
My method is concerned with taking shapes you already know and breaking them up somewhat.

Looking great so far btw, Tear. As always. I fear another map on the horizon to make all us lesser mortals weep.

What does an adjustment threshold layer do? And how do you do it in PS?

smyrin
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Very nice work Tear. I hope my project comes out 10% as cool as yours!

Tear
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM

It shows the layers below it as pure black and white depending on the brightness of the colors. You can set the threshold of the brightness where they get separated.

You can insert a Threshold Adjustment Layer with Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Threshold...

cereth
11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
That's looking very cool. I like how the under-sea textures are kind of subtle. The land forms really pop.

Ascension
11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Looks very sweet, Tear.

Diamond
11-12-2009, 11:53 PM
That's fantastic, dude.

*wipes envious drool off mouth*

:D

nutranurse
11-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Damn those mountains are purdy.

AslanC
11-13-2009, 03:44 AM
Very nice stuff Tear.

Love the coastlines :)

Ramah
11-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Looks amazing. Again.

Tear
11-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks all for the encouragement.

I added some texture detail:

landorl
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I love the colors and textures. It is a great looking map!

Coyotemax
11-13-2009, 11:16 AM
wow. just... wow.

Steel General
11-13-2009, 01:54 PM
By jove I think he's done it again! :D

altasilvapuer
11-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Tear, if you keep this up, I may just have to dive back into cartography again, both to finish up Geidor and to do more work on the other on-hold projects I had. And right as finals are approaching only a couple weeks away! Curses! ;)

Absolutely stunning, as always. Kudos and rep!

-asp

torstan
11-14-2009, 10:25 PM
That's very lovely indeed. There are some odd bobbly textures in the sea in some places - do those designate the underwater terrain?

But that's a tiny comment. It's a beautiful map. Great work.

Tear
11-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the comments.

There are some odd bobbly textures in the sea in some places - do those designate the underwater terrain?

Yes, the bobbly stuff is underwater terrain. Maybe it's too subtle... I cranked it up a bit in the latest version:

Ramah
11-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Absolutely stunning work. I'd love to see a bigger version though.

Tear
11-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Absolutely stunning work. I'd love to see a bigger version though.

Thank you. I'll post a higher res one when it's finished.

LonewandererD
11-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Holy crap! I don't stop by this map for a few days and it grows into something this awesome. I am so stealing your talent, keep still.

-D-

Gandwarf
11-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Very nice indeed!
Are you planning to add places of interest as well, like cities?

Tear
11-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Yes, I'll label the most important/largest cities.

Tear
11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I finished labeling the map. I called the world Saderan. Here is the [edit: almost] final version:

LonewandererD
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Brilliant as always Tear:D, I would have repped but i need to spread around a bit more before i can.

I especially like the oceans, they're full their little awesome features that give it depth and life without stealing away from the rest of the map.

-D-

Tear
11-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Thank you.

Here is a political version of the map:

The-Somberlain
11-17-2009, 10:14 AM
And it keeps getting better...!!! :!:

CartoGeo
11-17-2009, 10:51 PM
I finished labeling the map. I called the world Saderan. Here is the final version:

Can you create a tutorial of a style guide on what you did to create this... I liked what you have done, but not having had the time to experiment, was hoping you might take the time to record kindof what you did and how you went about it?

Gary N. Mengle
11-18-2009, 01:21 AM
This looks spectacularly good.

smyrin
11-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Can you create a tutorial of a style guide on what you did to create this... I liked what you have done, but not having had the time to experiment, was hoping you might take the time to record kindof what you did and how you went about it?

I second this request.

Tear
11-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Can you create a tutorial of a style guide on what you did to create this...
I second this request.
I can try a writeup, but that will take some time.

MadLetter
11-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Request thirded. A tutorial for this style would be awesome, but I think I shall experiment a little bit today, to see if I can achieve something similar, at least

smyrin
11-18-2009, 06:09 AM
I can try a writeup, but that will take some time.

Take your time! I am willing to wait for a great tutorial on your style.

...and I will buy you a beer when its all done!

Tear
11-18-2009, 06:07 PM
...and I will buy you a beer when its all done!

I really appreciate your offer! :)

On the other hand, considering I live approximately 6000 miles away from you...
Let's just say if I really manage to put this together and you really like it, just donate the cost of the beer to the Guild. Deal?

http://www.1d6.com/stuff/thumb_up.gif

AlohaRover
11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Here is a political version of the map:

I really like this version

basil4j
11-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I would also be interested in a tutorial! This is great!

smyrin
11-20-2009, 07:06 AM
I really appreciate your offer! :)

On the other hand, considering I live approximately 6000 miles away from you...
Let's just say if I really manage to put this together and you really like it, just donate the cost of the beer to the Guild. Deal?

http://www.1d6.com/stuff/thumb_up.gif

Sure thing but I could mail it...

Tear
11-20-2009, 07:01 PM
You would really mail the beer?
Oh, come on, donating will be much more efficient for everyone. Shipping cost alone would be more expensive than the bottle itself.

This is my first tutorial, and I suck at writing, but you got me going.
I finished the first 3 pages today.

smyrin
11-21-2009, 05:32 AM
If your tutorial can turn me into an artist even remotely as talented as you, not only will I mail the beer but I will also donate to the site! Anyways, you haven't tasted Southern Cailfornian mircro brews like Stone, Russian River, Green Flash, and Port Brewing. They are some of the best beers ever! It would be a shame to go through life without having sampled them. Cheers!

FAHall
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Tear,

The maps you created here are amazing.

The style is exactly what I want to create for a world map that I am trying to create for a novel that I'm working on.

I love both your topographical and political styles, and I would absolutely love to learn how to create those myself (as I am unable to pay someone to create maps for me =()

I use GIMP, do you think that maps like the one you created could be created in GIMP?

Also, say I actually manage to create a map like that (heh heh...) how difficult would it be to take one of the individual kingdoms, or even a region within a kingdom and blow it up so that I could create more detail as I develop the details of my world?

Eventually, I want to have a complete atlas with maps of the entire world (as you have created here), single countries (blown up for added detail and with other countries grayed out), single regions (same as above, but for individual regions within countries), and then even some of the larger cities.

This is a huge project, but the first step, and the one that seems vital to being able to fully write my novel, is getting a world map. The other stuff can come later if it is going to take tons and tons of man hours.

Again, I absolutely love the work you have done here, particularly the color scheme used and your expert use of nav lines.

I can't wait for the tutorial, and hopefully I will be able to recreate the same kind of thing in GIMP.

Tear
11-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Thank you for your comments.

I use GIMP, do you think that maps like the one you created could be created in GIMP?

Yes, I do.
I don't use Gimp myself so I can't give you any directions, but there are quite a lot of Gimp users on this forum. I'm sure they can answer any questions you might have.

how difficult would it be to take one of the individual kingdoms, or even a region within a kingdom and blow it up so that I could create more detail as I develop the details of my world?

Since both Gimp and Photoshop are raster-based, blowing up a single region would get you some blurry guidelines that could be used as an equivalent to a rough sketch at best. You'd need to make a new map, basically.
I posted a map of the northeastern island "Durra" here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7676), for example.

I can't wait for the tutorial, and hopefully I will be able to recreate the same kind of thing in GIMP.

I'll be away for a trip to the desert in December, so it will take some time, but I am determined to get it done eventually.

Good luck with your project.

FAHall
11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the quick response Tear.

Have fun in the desert!

FAHall
11-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey Tear,

I know you're busy and getting ready for a trip, but would it be possible to get the textures and colors (color palette or something) that you use?

I'm colorblind, so I have a hell of a time trying to match or create colors on my own (even with the eye-dropper tool). Maybe, if GIMP and PS can't share a color palette, a list of the HTML codes for the colors and what you use them for?

Also, how do you get the water along your coastlines to have that "foamy" look. Sorry I don't have a better term for it.

Oh, and in your tutorial, I would love to see your method for converting the physical map to a political one.

I know I'm asking alot of you, and I totally understand if you don't have the time to answer my questions.

Thanks a bunch,
Alex

Tear
11-25-2009, 06:01 PM
I was able to put out something before taking off, so I hope that answers most of your questions.

The tutorial thread is here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=90460#post90460).

Advice for conversion to the politcal map will have to wait, sorry.

Tear
11-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't know if anyone around here is interested in experiments like this, but since most of the fundamental layer masks of this map have been painted by hand, I was wondering how it would look like with some real-world data.

So, just for fun, I stuffed some real-world data into most of the layer masks of the file. The remaining layers were set to invisible.

I don't know about the accuracy of the data... I just downloaded some files and threw them into the various layer masks I already had. Just to see how it would turn out.

Of course this map serves no purpose at all. It's born out of mere curiosity, nothing more.

Here is what I got:

Ascension
11-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I would say kick-butt as usual, bro. Very cool.

Rythal
11-30-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't think that those landmasses are very realistic.

j/k, looks good!

Steel General
12-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Cool stuff Tear, a slightly more "tropical" version of our good, old planet.