PDA

View Full Version : Northern krugland

Clercon
11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
So I decided to continue exploring the world of Etrakien a bit. This time Iím heading a bit north to the northern parts of Krugland. When I did my last map, the one of the country Ankh-bathor, I didnít have a chance to explore(read draw) any real mountain areas. So I decided to go north where there are a lot of mountains. The area Iím drawing now is the pass that cuts through from the civilized area of the world to the northern wilds. An area where barbarian tribes creatures from mythology still resides.

So far Iíve got all the mountains in place, rivers flowing and Iím working on the hills. Please feel free to comment on the progress.
:-)

Steel General
11-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Other than the grass being a bit bright/neon for me (causes things to bleed in my eyes), I think this looks great.

You might consider having some snow caps on the larger mountains (if the appropriate climate), and maybe some green foothills as well as the brown.

Clercon
11-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the opinion mr General :-)
The grass is at the moment just a "colour" to give me an idea to where there will be grass. When it comes to the mountains I probably put some snow on top of the bigger ones, haven't had time to experiment with that yet. I try som green foothills as well, thanks for the tip.

wormspeaker
11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
I like the cartoon style. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Clercon
12-07-2009, 07:11 PM
A small update to the map. Added some more hills and som forest. Don't know about the forest pattern, might change that in the future. At the moment it is the same one as I used in my Etrakien map. but I don't know if it fits into this smaller scale map. What do you think?

Ascension
12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Works for me, I really get a sense of scale.

Coyotemax
12-08-2009, 03:50 AM
That's coming along very nicely!! I like it!

Vorhees
12-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Very nice me likey much

landorl
12-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow, Huge mountains, and great looking map. I think it is coming along nicely. No river police issues!

Clercon
12-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I guess I keep the forest pattern, I kind of got used to it after a while.

Well some more progress, I've put in cities and roads, snow caps on the bigger mountains (does it look ok?). I also added some paper texture to the mix to spice it all up.

I'm closing in on this one now, some more things north of the Kirigian wall (thats the only wall on the map so you can't miss it) and after that it's kind of finished.

Gandwarf
12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
It looks brilliant. Great colors, nice textures and symbols.
One thing seems off to me: the scale of the mountains. To me, they look too large.

Ramah
12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I think I'd have to agree with Gandwarf. Your villages and towns look really tiny compared to the mountains you have in there, although that's not necessarily a showstopper if the mountains are meant as graphical representations of where the mountain range is, rather than depicting each individual mountain. Besides, if each of those little dots is a village then the forests are massive compared to them too so it's in keeping with the style.

I'm not sure the paper folds go with the style of the map though, but it does seem to have calmed down the really bright grass colour that actually made me squint my eyes against it on previous versions.

On the whole though it's a really nice map, Clercon, as all your maps are. :)

Clercon
12-09-2009, 05:12 AM
One thing seems off to me: the scale of the mountains. To me, they look too large.

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree with Gandwarf. Your villages and towns look really tiny compared to the mountains you have in there, although that's not necessarily a showstopper if the mountains are meant as graphical representations of where the mountain range is, rather than depicting each individual mountain. Besides, if each of those little dots is a village then the forests are massive compared to them too so it's in keeping with the style.

I'm not sure the paper folds go with the style of the map though, but it does seem to have calmed down the really bright grass colour that actually made me squint my eyes against it on previous versions.

On the whole though it's a really nice map, Clercon, as all your maps are. :)

Thanks for the input guys. The mountain size in the map is a way to try to get the feeling of a huge mountainrange that surrounds the passage to the ďwild northĒ from northern Krugland. So on purpose I made the mountains BIG. To create some feeling of how it is to look up at those mountains when you stand down in the valley. But I agree on that the towns didnít come out well. They look a little bit too tiny compared to the mountains. I have to look at that part again and see what I can do.

Iím also not too convinced with the paper folds, but I do like the way that the paper texture enhance the overall feeling, and colour of the map. So I guess I have to look for a paper without folds and see how that works out.

Itís always interesting how a map can change after a nightís good sleep. Things you thought looked great in the eveningÖdonít look just as great in the morning :-)

elemental_elf
12-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Definitely a beautiful map :)

Clercon
12-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Not much of an update, not too much time to fiddle on things tonight. But I increased the size of the towns and also removed the foldings from the paper texture. In my opinion I think this was a good improvement of the map. Now I just have to do the part north of the wall, and then it's time for labeling. Only about 30+ towns this time :-)

Locution
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Looks great!

industrygothica
12-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Beautiful indeed. Can't wait to see the end result.

-IG

CartoGeo
12-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Not much of an update, not too much time to fiddle on things tonight. But I increased the size of the towns and also removed the foldings from the paper texture. In my opinion I think this was a good improvement of the map. Now I just have to do the part north of the wall, and then it's time for labeling. Only about 30+ towns this time :-)

I would like to see the towns and villages represented not as 2D redish dots, but exaggerated 3D-ish towns and cartooned (but with taste and style) that matches the style of the mountains... populations represented by the size of the towns and villages or regional communties.

Just a thougt, and I think your totally right and knew right off why the Mountains are larger then one would expect.. from your first example posting you set the tone of the map with those larger then life mountains... once again, cartoonesque... but not in a bad way.

Love what you are doing, keep it coming.

LonewandererD
12-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Bow those are what i call mountains, nice work :)

-D-

Clercon
12-10-2009, 06:55 AM
I would like to see the towns and villages represented not as 2D redish dots, but exaggerated 3D-ish towns and cartooned (but with taste and style) that matches the style of the mountains... populations represented by the size of the towns and villages or regional communties.

I've actually played with the idea to draw 3D-ish towns and walls etc. But in the current scale I'm doing this the towns would be too small to even be recognizable. I might try it in a later stage, but at the same time I kind of like my dots :-)

This map is also more of a test of my style. After having done the Ankh-Bathor region map I wanted a more fun place to map. Around Ankh-Bathor I mainly had Hills and coastline, so no fun mountains to draw. This map has no real importance for my story (that I dream of one day having the time and skill to put to paper), my story is about Ankh-Bathor, city of cities.

The only place of importance in this map is the monastery that is situated in the mountains far up the valley. There on the slopes of the mountains a very old man writes down the story of how he lived, died and lived again.

As they say Ė Death is only the beginning :-)

Clercon
12-10-2009, 06:36 PM
The map is done and can now be viewed in the Finished section of the forum.

:-)