PDA

View Full Version : More buildings

industrygothica
11-11-2009, 11:11 AM
I was messing around a bit today and I came up with something. There's probably a hundred of these floating around here already, so now there's a hundred and one.

It's a seamless building texture... basically select the pieces where you want buildings, and fill it. Then clean up the edges. I'll also attach a sample of what I did with it, and maybe you can help me improve it some.

-IG

18542 18543

mearrin69
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Pretty cool. The repetition isn't terribly obvious when you break it up like that. Anything that makes building a city easier is wicked awesome.

The only issue I'd have with using something like this is that there isn't any "organization" to the buildings. I was trying to imagine some way to change that...but can't with a repeating tile. I think you'd have to do something more like the "geomorphs" TSR and some others came out with back in the day.
M

industrygothica
11-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Pretty cool. The repetition isn't terribly obvious when you break it up like that. Anything that makes building a city easier is wicked awesome.

The only issue I'd have with using something like this is that there isn't any "organization" to the buildings. I was trying to imagine some way to change that...but can't with a repeating tile. I think you'd have to do something more like the "geomorphs" TSR and some others came out with back in the day.
M

This texture is not really meant to place all your buildings strategically, but to give you something to work with without have to draw each one individually.

With a hard edged brush and eraser, you can easily modify a building here and there to change the orientation and give it a more organized feel. You can take some away and add more detailed buildings...

It's not perfect by any means, and it won't get you a city without having to put a bit of work into it... but it does provide a place to start. And, depending on how you use it, it's scalable, which is handy.

Redrobes
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
This is great.

I did a few more here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4141) if your interested. Theres a few different types. I hope they are still uploaded.

Oh and there was some more but not in seamless sheets of them here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6296)

It would be so nice if we could get the auto placement thing sorted out then we could generate the cities automatically.

mearrin69
11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
This texture is not really meant to...

Just want to clarify that I was not knocking this in any way...it's really cool. Oh, and also, you have like the coolest friggin' avatar I've ever seen. Been meaning to say that for a while now but never found the chance. :)
M

industrygothica
11-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Just want to clarify that I was not knocking this in any way...it's really cool. Oh, and also, you have like the coolest friggin' avatar I've ever seen. Been meaning to say that for a while now but never found the chance. :)
M

I didn't think you were knocking it all; the thought never crossed my mind. Sorry if I sounded defensive, I certainly wasn't meaning to.

As for the avatar... I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't. I wouldn't even be able to tell you where I found it. But thanks! ;)

-IG

Notsonoble
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
yoink... I'm playing with cities in gimp... this I'll be quite useful!

industrygothica
11-11-2009, 10:25 PM
yoink... I'm playing with cities in gimp... this I'll be quite useful!

Great! Be sure to show us a WIP so we can see what you did with it.

-IG