PDA

View Full Version : Area 27 [WIP]

industrygothica
11-12-2009, 02:04 PM
This is area 27 of the CWBP, since no one has mapped it yet. Obviously it should be known as something other than "Area 27," but that will have to come later.

The southwestern bit is largely unpopulated and untamed, with the possibility of a few barbarian tribes scattered throughout. The mountainous dwarves inhabit the northwestern portion, as do a variety of other creatures drawn to that particular terrain.

More cultured and civilized races reside east of the mountains, their towns and villages dotted along the rivers and fresh water lakes.

I'm happy to listen to comments and suggestions (isn't that why we post here, after all?), and look forward to such.

-IG

Steel General
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I like it so far.

The mountains kind of remind me of the skeleton of a bird or small lizard. The rivers south of the mountains make some weird curves, but that's not a big deal.

industrygothica
11-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I like it so far.

The mountains kind of remind me of the skeleton of a bird or small lizard. The rivers south of the mountains make some weird curves, but that's not a big deal.

Too weird? I was trying to make them meander a bit, but they can be changed in a blink. Any suggestions?

-IG

Ramah
11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm loving the colour palette of this. :)

Xyll
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
i like the colors also.

The southern mountains look like an old crater with that curve. I think they are pretty cool. Can't wait to see where you go with it.

Steel General
11-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Too weird? I was trying to make them meander a bit, but they can be changed in a blink. Any suggestions?

-IG

Maybe take out some of the more 'looping' curves where they turn back 'northward'. Just doesn't look right, unless there are geographic reasons for them to do it. Like I said, not big deal just looked weird to me.

landorl
11-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Catching the right level of "curviness" for a river is tough. I hate it when people do straight rivers, because rivers curve quite a bit. However, I also think that these curve just a little too much. It's not that it has too many curves, it's just that the curves are a little too extreme.

industrygothica
11-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback, hopefully these rivers are a little better. I also made them a hair thinner this time.

I've added the city and town locations along with some roads, and it has occurred to me that I've never done a map with roads before. I just winged it for now, but if there's some special technique for laying down roads, it'd be great if someone would share the knowledge.

Thanks!

-IG

Steel General
11-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah, those 'feel better' to me :)

industrygothica
11-14-2009, 02:58 AM
Another update. I named some things, and put some snowcaps on the mountains. I'm having a heck of a time coming up with names for the mountains and the rivers.

-IG

Gandwarf
11-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Wow, it looks very nice. Love the colors and mountains. Have some rep.

Steel General
11-14-2009, 09:04 AM
You could check some of the surrounding area maps for names where there are overlaps, etc.

industrygothica
11-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Another update. Named the mountains and added something for the folks in the Crystal Valley to worry about.

Now for the rivers, since nobody in the surrounding areas have named them yet.

-IG

rdanhenry
11-15-2009, 08:27 PM
The road from New Fairland to Greyhurst crosses the river out of Lake Eerion (Eerion River?) twice, when it need not do so at all. While this is not impossible, it is certainly unlikely and if not changed, some reason for crossing should be devised.

industrygothica
11-15-2009, 09:57 PM
The road from New Fairland to Greyhurst crosses the river out of Lake Eerion (Eerion River?) twice, when it need not do so at all. While this is not impossible, it is certainly unlikely and if not changed, some reason for crossing should be devised.

Eek! That's precisely the thing I was trying to avoid when I was laying them out. Thanks a bunch!

-IG

industrygothica
11-18-2009, 05:12 PM
rdanhenry has given me cause to revisit the roads, and I think they make more sense now. At least I hope they do.

I also added a few finishing touches so that I'm comfortable calling this one almost complete. I still need to name the area and put on a scale and compass, and I'm thinking of putting on a border as well. But the hard part is finished.

-IG

nolgroth
11-19-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm loving the colour palette of this. :)Me too. The color is what immediately stood out to me.

Steel General
11-19-2009, 07:37 AM
This has turned out quite nicely...

industrygothica
11-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Still not sure about the name... I'm wondering if I might have subliminally pilfered it from somewhere because it sounds a bit familiar, but I couldn't tell you from where.

-IG

Steel General
11-19-2009, 11:34 AM
There is a name similar in the Forgotten Realms - a big desert area. Can't remember the exact spelling, and I'm to lazy to Google it. :)

LonewandererD
11-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I think the desert Steel is thinking of is the Anauroch desert, it was in Neverwinter Nights, but its up to you whether you want to change it. Other than that it looks great, have some rep.

-D-

Steel General
11-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Yup that's what I was thinking of...I don't see any need to change it either.

Diamond
11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
That is just amazingly beautiful. I especially love the border with the chiselled name effect - that is awesome.

The only thing I personally didn't like was the roads. I think the style you used for them (the big white dots) clashes with the terrain and is too 'open' (by that I mean that my eye kind of gets lost trying to follow the route of each road). If it were me, I'd do a dashed or dotted thin line in black or dark gray, and tone it down to 50% or less opacity.

But other than that, I freakin' love it. :D

industrygothica
11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the help and feedback on this map. The final version is in the CWBP forums here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7979).

pickaboo
11-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Very nice map, I'll have to try to make s road map sometimes..
(Neverwinter Nights happen in Faerūn >.< )