PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy of Edilion

Rythal
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
okay, so I've been trying various techniques in Corel to improve my maps. To be honest, this actually started out while I was attempting to use RobA's coastline tut (found here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=875) in photo paint. It didn't turn out very well (corel doesn't have all the same features), but I realized It looked a lot like a nebula of sorts.

After much butchering and frustration, I have completed a galaxy. I was mostly interested in the picture itself, but I guess if I'm going to upload it here I'll have to make a map out of it, so I'll upload both with and without labels.

The galaxy was done in CorelPHOTO-PAINT x3, while the labeling and planets were done in CorelDRAW x3.

Enjoi!

Sapiento
11-13-2009, 01:38 AM
Looks good. The only thing I find strange are the light rays which emerge from the centre. they would be composed of suns at this scale and then rotate like the rest.

mearrin69
11-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Looks pretty awesome to me. It's a bit regular, I guess. Maybe some smudging would take care of that. I think the "map" version has a bit of a Dune feel to it - the movie version's filmbooks Paul was looking at early on. You going to take it further?
M

icosahedron
11-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Those light rays could be a lens effect on the camera taking the shot.
That looks like a very dense galaxy, but it's a nice pic. :)

Steel General
11-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Neat stuff here...

I think if you shrunk it down it might make a cool avatar pick as well.

Rythal
11-13-2009, 08:34 AM
yah i think I'll touch up the map part later, also will maybe get rid of the lens flare.

thanks

Rythal
11-13-2009, 06:40 PM
k, so I lessened the lens flare, any other nitpicks before I start working on labeling the planets?

su_liam
11-15-2009, 03:35 AM
I liked the lensflare. Gave it a little style. If nothing else, just say it's dividing the galaxy into nine sectors.

torstan
11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Very pretty indeed. Love it.