View Full Version : Help with blending

11-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I need help with blending effects in Photoshop 7. I need to blend two distinct areas so the flow between them is not a sudden change in color via a line. Is there a tool/way to achieve this?

11-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Are these on the same layer, or different layers? I'd try the smudge tool, with a soft fuzzy brush selected.

Steel General
11-13-2009, 12:56 PM
You can also try using a Gaussian Blur (Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur) - you'll need to play with the settings a bit until you get what you like.

11-13-2009, 01:26 PM
My favorite way to tackle this problem, assuming you have both of the two colors on separate layers is a combination of the previous two mentioned methods as well as using a layer mask.

Place the redish layer on top and fill entirely with your color.
Create a selection of the area which you want to retain the redish color. Depending on if you want the blending to go down from the current line or up from the current line, you will make your selection end at the line OR higher respectively.
Optional: Create a channel from the selection for later use
Add the selection as a layer mask
In the layers dialog, select the mask instead of the image.
Use the smudge tool and/or a gausian blur to modify the layer mask. Remember, wherever there is white on the layer mask will show through and where the layer mask is black will be hidden. Any grey value in between the two will be some level of opacity.

Note that I have not used PS in 8 years or so and I use GIMP instead, so while the details may be a bit different, the general workflow should remain intact as above.

11-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I just use the Blur tool and Smudge tool, back n forth until I have it nice and smoothed.

11-16-2009, 02:10 AM
If that's on two layers, here's what I would do. First use Rob A's Tutorial on Randomized Coastlines (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=875) to break up that straight edge. The human mind is really great at seeing that sort of thing. Now that you have a nicely jittered hard selection, this is the time to blur the transition. Don't blur the image itself, but the alpha channel for the upper layer.

Hopefully this is somewhat clearer than mud...

11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
In Photoshop, try the crystallize filter, possibly followed by a blur.

-Rob A>