PDA

View Full Version : August Entry: Time knows no direction

Robbie
08-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Just thought I'd throw my name in the hat for this challenge since its goign so well. I'm hesitant to put this render up because its WAY early and the detailing hasn't begun...but I did manage to get the sundial calibrated according to where I live.

This particular render is of course 9am...and I've got a LOT more perspective in the image as of right now...I haven't decided about final render camera placement just yet, but when I do I'm sure it will be slightly off of top down. I gotta get the details all in it, and fancy it up and get some materials and reflections and weathering put in there before I render it for map placement.

Gamerprinter
08-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Arcana! 8)

Nice to see I'm not the only one incorporating 3D into my compass rose design!

Are you going to decrease the perspective angle to be closer to a perpendicular surface - flat like on a map? Not a criticism, just a question.

I don't mean an isometric view - I didn't even go that far.

Using a sundial is cool idea - especially adding a shadow matching your specific declination from the sun - cool, cool.

Robbie
08-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at something like this...a little off center, to show the 3d aspect, but still top down so as to point true.

pyrandon
08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
All I can say: Wow. And it's not even freakin' done yet!

Robbie
08-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Its coming along...I still haven't started the detailing...and the materials are still just me foolin around.

I'm going to start putting some carvings and stuff on it tomorrow at work probably.

Should I stick with the runes or go to something like Roman Numerals? I'm not sure I'm feeling the runes myself...Recommend me something ;)

Gamerprinter
08-13-2007, 12:01 AM
As long as there is an understandable "north, south, east, west" even if only in concept, the runes add some distinct flavor to your sundial.

I say, "Down with the empire, honor the old ways - the way of the Rune!" :|

ravells
08-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Wow, really nice modelling. I like the way of the Rune over Roman numerals too! Or alternatively you could use symbols? Weather symbols? Maybe it's a magical sundail? Phases of the moon? signs of the zodiac or animals? 'It is now the hour of the fox, my lord!'

Ravs

Robbie
08-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Ok, sticking with the runes for now, and starting to texture and detail...I still need more carvings and stuff...but its coming along...I also need to streamline the way the compass directions cut through the rim of the dial.

EDIT: Added a sample image.

Robbie
08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
This is just a perspective render to show the details I've been modelling in...Its still not at 100% but its getting there. Having a fast computer at work helps a lot.

I've been working a lot on the materials and the carvings are all from various wingding fonts. The elvish lettering on the North pointer is "for" elvish for north according to tolkien. The phrase in the center is "coiasira il-sinta tie" which is probably a VERY incorrect way to say Time knows no direction in Tolkiens elvish. Of course I'm using the Tengwar Noldor font.

I'll have a top down render as my next one when I'm a bit more happy with the progression of the details.

You definitely want to click this to view the full size version.

Robbie
08-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Final render for today probably...time to go home ;) Another perspective shot this time with 10am lighting...which I like a lot!

pyrandon
08-13-2007, 05:49 PM
NOTE: Pyrandon would respond to this thread, but he's too busy picking his eyeballs up off the floor and repairing the crack in the cement from where his jaw dropped.

ravells
08-13-2007, 06:52 PM
What Don said.

Robbie
08-13-2007, 07:10 PM
You guys are too kind.

I was hoping that you'd be all..."bleh" when I posted the early WIPs and then get all excited when the detailing started. Looks like it worked.

Fister
08-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I really like the subtle textures you used to differentiate the metals used in your sundial. Additionally, the brass detailing really gave it some flare for the eye to appreciate from a greater distance.

kalmarjan
08-14-2007, 11:29 PM
I like what you have done so far, as a good start. What have you modeled this in?

A few comments to make it better....

1) This is an old sundial right? How about some grime/wear and tear?
2) Your directional arrows do not sit well with me. I think it is because of the text/runes look like they are floating on them, as well as your raised arc. Perhaps the directional arrows would look better if they were sunk into the metal instead of being raised? It just has a small feeling of "something does not look right".
3) What program are you rendering this out in? I would guess something like Bryce, because you were speaking about a 10 o'clock sun. What would be really cool is if you can map the shadow from the pointer on the sundial, to make it cast the shadow over the dial itself, to kind of give a clue as to being 10 oclock. I haven't worked with Bryce since ver 4, so I cannot remember if it can be done.

All in all, a very good go. Good work. Wish I had time to put in an entry. :)

Sandeman

Robbie
08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I like what you have done so far, as a good start. What have you modeled this in?

I'm using 3d studio max 9 with mental ray as my renderer. Its all done with A&D materials and the Mental ray sunlight system.

1) This is an old sundial right? How about some grime/wear and tear?

This has always been my weakpoint in regards to modelling still life objects. I've never really learned how to blend materials properly so the weathering and grime appears in the right place. I've gotten closer than ever with this model though due to the A/O blending of the colors...I'll experiment more though.

2) Your directional arrows do not sit well with me. I think it is because of the text/runes look like they are floating on them, as well as your raised arc. Perhaps the directional arrows would look better if they were sunk into the metal instead of being raised? It just has a small feeling of "something does not look right".

Yeah I've thought a lot about that as well...The directional arrow is actually sunk into the base metal...if you look at the thickness of it outside the dial versus inside, you see that its actually buried, but a small bit of it sticks out above the surface of the rough base metal...I imagined the outer ring was placed first, then molten metal was poured in and the directional pointers were then pushed into the cooling base metal. But you're right, the fact that the runes and metal carvings just overlap it freely means either there was a LOT of really fancy metalworking going on, or I was just a little sloppy. I'll see what I can do...I really don't want to lose the design breakup on the base metal that the inner directional pointers give me.

3) What program are you rendering this out in? I would guess something like Bryce, because you were speaking about a 10 o'clock sun. What would be really cool is if you can map the shadow from the pointer on the sundial, to make it cast the shadow over the dial itself, to kind of give a clue as to being 10 oclock. I haven't worked with Bryce since ver 4, so I cannot remember if it can be done.

This makes no sense to me, since the shadow is appearing...are you not seeing the shadow of the pointer pointing to the rune that represents 10am? the earlier render has the shadow pointing at the rune that represents 2am. Thats why I used the mental ray sun system because you can actually set the location in the world (lat/lon) as well as the time of day, and the sun rotates along an arc that represents that with proper angle changes based on season and whatnot. Its accurate enough to do a sundial for sure.

Thanks much for the feedback...as a fellow 3d guy I was looking forward to your response.