PDA

View Full Version : Re'Skaal - WIP

Katto
11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
In loose sequence I will post the progress of my campaign world "Re'Skaal" here. I have just finished the outlines of the continent, but not decided yet which style to follow.

I started with Ascension's Atlas Style with regard to regional maps in the same style. To see if the result is what I have in mind, I cut out a piece of the map, expanded the rivers and added a few symbols made with Illustrator.
The creatures are dingbats from "lpmyth" and "Imaginary Forces", the font is called "Aniron".

Even if the result is not what I wanted, I finished it because the work on the map simply became independent. Next I will give Pasis' style a try.

anaxetogrind
11-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok I have a question for you how did you do the cloudy wispy look on the ocean:?:

Is some kind of CC3 contour effect?

Looks Like you have a great start on a solid map!

wormspeaker
11-16-2009, 11:17 AM
I like it. Simple and effective.

Katto
11-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Sorry Anaxetogrind, I forgot to mention that the map is made with Photoshop. CC3 was used for the contours. Clouds, clouds, clouds. Of so many layers does the ocean consist and at the top an ocean ripple filter. No chance to redo it with CC3 as I think.

Thanks Wormspeaker, simple is just the right word. The regional map was quickly done and I see that I must spend much more time in drawing new symbols.

Katto
11-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I worked on the mountains of my continent and tried different things so far. Here is the result: 4 different layers from foothills to the top of the mountains. It's completely non-destructive by the time, just difference clouds and lightning effects covered with Pasis textures. These are a placeholders so far.
Do you think it is a path to follow? C&C are welcome...

landorl
11-29-2009, 06:59 PM
I want to know how to make the shields! I have seen a few people use them, and I would love to do the same! I'm jealous (oh, and the map looks great)

Ascension
11-29-2009, 07:12 PM
If the dark brown bits are meant to be the foothills then maybe you should feather or blur them out a ways...or just put forests over the edges like I do.

Steel General
11-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Mountains look pretty good so far, very similar to the methods I generally use.

I would suggest trying a slight bevel on each of the mountain layers, increasing the size with each 'higher' layer, it might help give them a bit more depth. If it doesn't look right, you can always just turn the bevels off again :)

Katto
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the comments. I will try and see how it will look.

@landorl: Dont't be jealous, it's very easy. Spend one evening on heraldry to learn the do's and don'ts in coloring and the basic shapes. I made a template in Illustrator and Photoshop to create the shields very fast. And don't forget: Dingbats are your friend in finding animals and fantasy creatures.

Ascension
11-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I found an Illustrator brush pack of shields once while Googling up the same thing. Since I totally suck at Illustrator I can't use them. The author was Nick Staroba so that should be pretty easy to find.

Steel General
12-01-2009, 08:21 AM
I found some heraldic brush packs a while back, not sure exactly where I got them though.

Katto
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the comment Ascension. I found the symbols easily and they are quite useful.
I'll take a short break now, there are so much other interesting things in real life.

landorl
12-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I found the Nick Staroba site and got the shields. I have been browsing the web for some symbols and found a few. I need to fiddle with Illustrator more to figure out how to make others. Still, it's a start!

The only downside about this current map is that it is a little dark. It looks like you pulled it from an area to the north of your main map, and it looks a little dark there also. The colors on your regional map were light and easy to see everything. Of course this is just personal opinion.

Katto
12-03-2009, 03:37 AM
I agree that the colors are too dark at the moment, this will be changed after the rivers are drawn.

Katto
12-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Here is a little update, I've added the borders and names of the realms.

Katto
01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Happy new year cartographers!

During the holidays I took some time to work on my map. I have no ideas to improve it, what do you think?

Here is a rough course of the continent's history:

First Cycle: The first time is characterized by exploration and rise of the first realms. Magic develops and becomes useful for daily life. Defected wizards form the "Great Council" and claim superiority about the continent. Their effort to match the realms against each other only partly succeeds. The combining force of wizards from all known realms defeat the "Great Council" in the so called "Magician Wars". The appearance of the continent changes and the realm of the council becomes the "Shattered Isles", a highly contaminated land with wandering horrors and dangerous ruins, but also with powerful artifacts. The race of the Dwarves vanishes.

Second Cycle: The race of the Gnomes arises and with them the knowledge of mechanics. Magic is proscribed these days, but in the south a powerful wizard (the only known one and now undead) that escaped the "High Council", Xandrosil, starts to get control over the land. He combines magic with mechanics and creates "Automatons", fearless warriors, that conquer the realms. Only the lands of Eldoron and Sarintir defy. Again magic saved the continent, the now called "Ritual of Separation" is performed, which split Xandrosil's realm from the mainland.

Third Cycle: Loose alliances are formed between the countries and the people look forward to a peaceful future. A new force called the "Guild" appears and claims possession of the island between the mainland and Xandrosil's realm. No one knows what's going on on these islands...

For me these Cycles represent all what I want to have in gameplay: a classic fantasy setting(FC), the combination with technology(SC, has anyone played the CRPG Arcanum?)) and a bit of a wasteland scenario(TC).

regards
Torsten

P.S.: The font size of the capitals is a bit small, but the original map is twice the size.

landorl
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I like the map! I was about to say that you had some "tiling" with the textures going on, but after looking a little closer, I realized that it was a grid.

The fonts on the city names are just a little on the small side, but if you look closely, you can still read them. Based on your last comment though, I am guessing that this is a slightly scaled down version of the map.

Steel General
01-06-2010, 07:57 AM
I think it looks quite good - though the overall palette is a bit dark for my tastes.

Katto
01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks, I forgot to remove the grid, it was just for orientation.
I look up my maps on my notebook and normal PC, both with "normal" settings: average brightness, contrast etc. When I take a look at the maps at the computer at work, they really seem very dark, although the settings there are nearly the same. I embedded the standard Adobe sRGB profile in the last map in the hope it will help, but it doesn't. I have no idea how to fix this. The colors are the same, but the brightness and contrast are very different :( The big mystery of color management I think.

Ascension
01-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I get that a lot as well because I use a bright monitor...so others see my stuff as very dark but I see all of the subtle color gradations. You might have to darken up your monitor settings. That will force you to work with lighter colors but that isn't too bad to get used to.

pasis
01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
I have had the same thing going on with images turning out too dark or color tones being not right.
I have compared same image side by side in one screen opened with Microsoft Photo manager and Quick time picture viewer and Microsoft Office Picture manager and few others and some of them look very different than the others.
I don't have any idea for the reason as if I connect my laptop to the same monitor and do the same side by side test, the images look almost the same with not too noticeable difference. So the "problem" is in my desktop computer, but I have no clue how to get it right. This all started (read; I noticed it) less than a month ago. I would understand if it would look different only in photoshop as I would assume it is just because of the PS colormanagement being incorrectly set, but it happens with softwares that doesn't allow me to manage colors etc.

Katto
01-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Good to know that I am not alone with this problem.

Katto
05-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Here is a try with PF's Mercator style from the annual 2007. There I created the continent shape of Re'Skaal with CC3 it was near at hand to use it for that style. For me it seems that the style is not "finished"(too blurry, colorful etc.), so I will try to develop it further. The first pic is the original, the second what I have so far.

Steel General
05-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Very Nice!!

Gidde
05-16-2010, 09:33 AM
I also have a too-bright monitor, so you're definitely not alone. This is looking really good. The only thing standing out to me is that the lat/long grid is a lot more sharp/digital than the rest of the map. You may want to blur it up just a tad so that it matches the rest of your lines.

arsheesh
05-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Nicely done Katto. I like seeing all of the different iterations and styles of Re'Skaal. The shields in your earliest "Ascension" style map were excellent, and I actually liked the darker palette of the Pasis style map. The current variation of your map is beautiful as well (I like the newest version a little better). Great job on this.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Katto
05-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Here is the next update. I've added towns, villages and vegetation symbols. The labeling was easy this time, because the font is hard to read :) and finally I've added a line shape around the land masses. Of course I've also blurred the grid Gidde, I've just forgotten to do it in the last version. Thank you for reminding me. Glad you like it arsheesh.

Gidde
05-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Looks great! Those labels are indeed hard to read, but also appropriate. I like the font.

Katto
05-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Time to declare this version as finished. Made with CC3 except the red background and the banner were inserted with PS.

tilt
05-23-2010, 03:52 PM
great job - with all of it :) ... and have some rep :)

alizarine
05-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Excellent work here - I personally don't like that red too much (I actually think a bit darker), but that's just my opinion. I really love the map; the only, only thing I would make a minor correction to is the "Northern Alliance" text up in the ... well, north, along the mountains - I found it just a wee bit hard to read. Other than that, I really like the map. Looking great. The history is great too; good mix of some great ideas - magic and technology should never cancel each other out!

- Alizarine