PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Maps

Yack
11-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum and though the better introduction is to post a few maps.

NeonKnight
11-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Beautiful maps!

** Edit ** Sorry Neon, I thumbnailed the images in the OP and there were 6 (one over the max) so I've attached it to the bottom of your post).

Cheers

Ravs

TheRedEpic
11-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Some beautiful maps you have here! is this a bevel tool in photoshop?

Yack
11-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks, and yes, it was photoshop bevel in mountains & vegetation

Immolate
11-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Vibrant and colorful. You obviously have a good grasp on the tools. I think that exposure to the rest of the community here will do for you what it has done for many other... only faster. Here's some rep for what was obviously a lot of work and for teaching yourself a lot of the techniques.

rdanhenry
11-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Interesting style. It, especially the oceans, gives me an impression of maps on translucent plastic or possibly glass.

ravells
11-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Very nice indeed! It has a really vibrant, crisp and individual feel to it. What font are you using for the labelling? I really like it.

Best

ravs

Steel General
11-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Neat stuff here, I really like the city/town/tower/etc. icons

LonewandererD
11-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Holy crap, where have you been hiding yourself these are awesome, especially the text and water.

-D-

Scott Livingston
11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Awesome indeed. The colors are so bright and vibrant, but not overdone. I love the textures, particularly the ocean one. The text is well-done, too...I particularly like the designs around the name if each map.

The mountain style is really unique and interesting. The execution of it varies a bit, in my opinion...in some places it can look a bit too crystalline and the ridgelines too straight and uniform (unless that's what you're going for). But in other places, it looks outstanding.

Karro
11-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I largely agree with Scott's assessment. overall, these look great, but in some places the mountains are a little too, as he puts it, "crystalline". But great work!

Ramah
11-16-2009, 02:58 PM
I love the mountains and don't think they're overdone at all. I think they make a bold statement and fit in with the map a lot better than most mountain techniques. I'm not particularly wild about the texture in the sea but it's hardly a biggy.

Great stuff. Look forward to seeing more. :)

CartoGeo
11-16-2009, 07:51 PM
If your not thinking of going professionally towards something in in the Illustration or Graphics arts, you should really consider it! I love the maps man, totally show a completely new style, good grasp of colors and how to use them. Congrats!

RobA
11-16-2009, 09:00 PM
I also think the mountains are sharp/crystaline (which is a very recognizable sign of the PS bevel layer effect), but in my opinion they match well with the stylized/illustrated nature of the maps. This is not an attempt at a sat photo.

The colours are very saturated, which, again, fit will with the illustrative nature of the map.

-Rob A>

The-Somberlain
11-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Very nice maps indeed! They have a fairy-tale feeling of high adventure. I'd like to be a hero in your world!

And by the way, I think the desert map is the best!

Lwaxana
11-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Wow. Are these part of a world or do they stand alone?

Diamond
11-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Can't really add much different from what the rest of the guys have said, so I'll just add: Damn. Those are something special.