PDA

View Full Version : Saderan

Tear
11-16-2009, 12:43 PM
This is a world map of Saderan where I tried some style variations.
It was done in Photoshop.

WIP thread is here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7788).

mearrin69
11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
That's beautiful. Have some rep.
M

TheRedEpic
11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
This is some great stuff, very beautiful!

torstan
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Straight into the inspiration folder. Repped and rated.

Karro
11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Tear, your work is inspiring, and truly works of art.

Djekspek
11-17-2009, 05:31 PM
nice work man! You sure you didn't photocopy some page from a real Atlas? ;)

Tear
11-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Thank you all for the motivating comments!
I really appreciate them.

Diamond
11-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Yep, that is gorgeous. I wish I could print that out to about four feet by two, frame it, and hang it.

Also, I despair of ever making anything as nice as this. :(

Ruedy
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
That's great! Gave rep.

Ascension
11-23-2009, 12:12 AM
All I can say is that this is some really nice work. Reminds me a bit if my Argent Islands, style-wise, but yours is much nicer.

alexandream
11-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Just when I think I'm starting to learn a bit of this thing I find such a piece of work that makes me feel like I'm never going to make anything visually pleasant!

I disagree on the location of a few geographical artifacts there, though, and I'm not sure if I should discuss them here or on your W.I.P. thread. What would be the best place for such a discussion? That is, if you're at all interested in chatting about it. :)

But, seriously, amazing work! I wish I could design maps like that.

Tear
11-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Thank you all.

I disagree on the location of a few geographical artifacts there, though, and I'm not sure if I should discuss them here or on your W.I.P. thread. What would be the best place for such a discussion? That is, if you're at all interested in chatting about it. :)

I am aware that there are geographical inconsistencies.
During the creation of the map, randomizers were used to generate several geographical features. Those do, by definition, not follow any geographical rules.
But feel free to point them out anyway if you like. Either here or in the WIP thread.

Locution
11-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Beautiful map. I really does look like an image from a real atlas!

alexandream
11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
I am aware that there are geographical inconsistencies.
During the creation of the map, randomizers were used to generate several geographical features. Those do, by definition, not follow any geographical rules.
But feel free to point them out anyway if you like. Either here or in the WIP thread.

Ah, I see! I didn't think you used random stuff here, that's why I felt like pointing out. Anyways, the only thing I found really odd was the placement of the central desert. Some people have a pet peeve with placement of rivers, I am obsessed by them deserts, and am always trying to figure out reasons as to how they form in a specific map, in a given place.

I couldn't find a reasonable explanation (at least if I considering a round world with the Sun rising on the East) for that desert to form where it did, right in the middle of the map.

To be honest, that is pretty much the single thing I didn't agree with the map. Other than that it is most likely one of the best works I've seen so far while lurking in this forum. :)

Daelin
11-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Wow, simply stunning. It's like a barrage of color and crispness.
I'm wondering, is this a scaled-down version of a raw map, and if so, what is the original resolution you're working in?

Gidde
11-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Very nice!

Tear
12-24-2009, 03:26 AM
I'm wondering, is this a scaled-down version of a raw map, and if so, what is the original resolution you're working in?

The original file is a tad larger. Around 21"x10" at 200 dpi.

TheJayde
01-12-2010, 07:49 AM
I love this style. Also funny story... You use Varna as a region on the map and I use it as a city name.

Tom_Cardin
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Love this map. I Love the tutorial for it as well. I am going to have to take another pass at it. I think the problem with my first go was the resolution. The tutorial for for a map size of about 500 pixels square and I want to do something about 3k by 4k pixels so I have to do some translations to the tutorial brush sizes and effect sizes.

I want to create a world map for the fantasy novel I have begun writing but I am not sure if I want to use this style or a more traditional drawn map look that I see in most fantasy books with a map.

Quinnaria
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
This map is totally amazing. Seems like I'll be pulling out the photoshop when I get home and trying out your tutorial!

StillCypher
07-07-2010, 05:08 AM
This is the kind of map I drool over. I'm so glad you've given us a tutorial, and I'm really looking forward to using it -- and to seeing your next work!

Mr.Sprinkles
07-08-2010, 04:04 AM
First off, amazing map, I have to try this. Second, I have a quick question - there are 3 compass roses in the water, what is their significance/purpose?