PDA

View Full Version : Cityscapes

PlumCrazy
11-16-2009, 01:23 PM
I did these three thumbnail cityscapes during my lunch hour...just thought I'd post them and give you guys an idea of some of the stuff that I do. Hope you enjoy.

craggles
11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Those are gorgeous! :)

Don't be shy and post loads more. ;D

ravells
11-16-2009, 02:21 PM
These are fantastic! I echo Craggles! It looks like preparatory sketches to an SF film.

p.s. Welcome Back Craggles! You've been away for far too long!

Ascension
11-16-2009, 04:39 PM
They might not be technically "mappy" yet but they're outstanding. If I could doodle like that I wouldn't worry about their "mappiness" either :) Well done and have some rep.

psyekl
11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
As a draftsman I've always loved the technical drawing style, It's nice to see that there are still people out there drawing by hand in a world dominated by digital media! I have to admit: you're very good, kudos and welcome to the guild!

mearrin69
11-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Yah. Well. These are freakin' awesome. I can't wait for you to post a map. :) Have some rep.
M

craggles
11-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Hey PlumCrazy,

Don't keep us in suspense for too long - we'd love to see more! (or perhaps your site's web address so we can pore over more of your excellent images).

p.s. Welcome Back Craggles! You've been away for far too long!

I didn't realise I'd b missed - I shall try not to be away too long next time. :)

I've been ill and busy - chronic & acute cluster headaches and migraines which is somewhat annoying! As for busy - I've created a few maps for Unnatural20 (which was a request in these forums) and I'm currently illustration a lot of his unique critters.

After falling in love with the Shadow World campaign setting by Terry Amthor (http://homepage.mac.com/terbob/) & ICE (http://www.ironcrown.com/), through a bizarre twist of events, I'm doing a lot of illustrations as well as designing the layout on their next few projects. They're specifically for Rolemaster (with guidelines to convert to other systems) but a new product is coming out specifically for the d20 rules so a lot more people can fall in love with the truly excellent global setting!

Unfortunately, as a lot of these are commercial, they'll not added to my site (http://craigssketchpad.co.uk/) in their full glory just yet. :(

...but the majority will in the not too distant future. :)

In the meantime, here's a close-up of one of the Unnatural20 maps -

PlumCrazy
11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Well here's a couple I did yesterday and awhile back. Hope ya like these too. :D

craggles
11-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Oh yes - I do indeed.

Do you draw these simply to pass the time (or keep your ability up) or are you intending to use them for a larger project? I'd love to know more! :)

PlumCrazy
11-17-2009, 09:36 AM
First, thanks for all the compliments, they are very much appreciated! Second, I draw most of these to pass the time or doddle them in a meeting or something. I had some better ones but I was cleaning up my messy desk and threw a bunch away....that won't happen again. I think I might enter one of the contests but you guys are quite intimidating with your beautiful rendered maps and I like to keep things more graphic and vector based.

mearrin69
11-17-2009, 11:42 AM
You should enter. I bet a lot of the guys making beautifully rendered maps are just as mystified about your techniques - I know I am (though I don't make beautifully rendered maps! :))
M

psyekl
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I do have one question: These look as though you draw them from scratch in ink, no pencil sketch to lay them out am I correct?

PlumCrazy
11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Yep, the only "construction" I did was to lay down a couple of perspective lines in pencil then everything else was by eye.

psyekl
11-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Yep, the only "construction" I did was to lay down a couple of perspective lines in pencil then everything else was by eye.

As an artist I envy people with that talent! I've been drawing since childhood, and seriously as a draftsman and cartographer for over 25 years and that's a skill I never acquired; I always need to rough out a drawing before finalizing it. I once knew a guy that could draw out entire pages of comic-book style action scenes with just a ball-point pen, boy was I was green with envy lol.

Ascension
11-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, that always gets me too. I'm more Beethoven than Mozart...start with a framework then make edits and refinements rather than plop out perfection on a first go. I really appreciate that sort of genius/gift.

PlumCrazy
11-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Here's two I did today at lunch...

Robber Baron
11-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Amazing talent! Keep at it. Thanks for sharing!

Boethius61
11-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah, that always gets me too. I'm more Beethoven than Mozart...start with a framework then make edits and refinements rather than plop out perfection on a first go. I really appreciate that sort of genius/gift.

Heh, at least you are Beethoven. I'm closer to Brittney Spears . . . do the same no talent things over and over, give them to pros to remix and hope no one notices.

Oh, and PlumCrazy, these are totally wicked. You should definetely enter some stuff in contests. If you can merge the contest requirements with your unique style you will destroy your competition.

Bladesake
01-23-2010, 09:59 PM
These are REALLY good. I have a hard time with modern/sci-fi settings, which is one of the reasons I've taken on such a setting for my current world project. These maps are almost exactly like what I'd like to do someday. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and I just realized that I bumped a really old thread. Sorry about that, but I had to say something. Thanks again. Bump!

Ascension
01-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Bump away, we don't mind. It's good to bring stuff back into the light for those who haven't seen them.

Jaxilon
01-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Yeah, like me, I hadn't seen these before. Pretty cool imo. I can see them as a Star Wars setting like Coruscant or something.