PDA

View Full Version : More iso mapping

Djekspek
11-18-2009, 08:22 PM
temples seen to be inspiring these days ;) tonight i was practising my ISO skills (I always have a hard time creating them so thought lets get some more experience in it) and drew a temple complex. I drew it sort of out my head and guess I should have used a grid to make it more 3d-consitent (now why doesnt PS have 3d grid aids, or maybe someone knows about some 'hidden' feature? Though maybe when i start painting it over, I can correct the (many) 3d-flaws...

Ascension
11-19-2009, 01:09 AM
If you want it true 3d then you'd have to do it in a 3d program. Personally, I like your version better...has more character. Sure, the obelisks lean in odd ways but not that bad. I think it's cool.

rdanhenry
11-19-2009, 02:14 AM
That's really cool. My only wish would be that the view had been pulled back a little so the temple didn't get cut off at the bottom.

Steel General
11-19-2009, 07:52 AM
I like it so far, but do agree with rdanhenry about it getting 'clipped' at the bottom.

Djekspek
11-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the C&C guys. I guess indeed if one wants it truly 3d then one should use a 3d program ;) I made a draft-version in sketch-up but wasn't really pleased with the result (too clean indeed, Ascension).

I completely redid it to make it a little less flawed by using a grid. The map is for practising my iso skills so I guess am getting practise now ;) Also pulled it back a lilttle ( think am gonne end the bottom-left with a wall/gatehouse and path down the mountain...)

I first wanted to use 2-point-vanishing-point perspective but it got really messed up so I went back to a version with 2 infinite vanishing points. Because of the scale of the thing it should work I think... anyway, the result so far. I attached the draft Sketch-up and the latest hand-drawn version. cheers

Ascension
11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has a pattern for a 3d grid? If you could overlay that on top then you'd be able to keep things lined up pretty well...not to mention that I'd snag a copy for myself to use ;)

Djekspek
11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
I attached the one I created for my 2-point vanishing point experiment. You can copy, scale and rotate it to create as many vanishing points as needed. For me it didn't work out as it's still hard to align to non-parallel lines using the 'shift' option in PS to create lines (ctrl-alt-z was my best friend during the experiment....) I tried paths but thats in my opinion not really a user-friendly option in PS. I didn't find a way to align a pencil stroke directly to a path (only drawing paths by using the 'stroke' option), but maybe i missed a very usefull function in PS (I know one can align text to directly to a path...). Also for real 'deep' 3d one would need a vanishing point way outside the picture requiring a much larger grid (with much mor lines in it) then the one I attached.

For the inifinite vanishing points in my iso I just created a 'trashy' version in 2 mins. Draw three lines in a pleasable angle and copy them many times in different places (that's what i did but i didnt do it very clean so it looks kinda messy in the iso picture). Next time I draw an ISO I'll get it clean and post it ;)

RobA
11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has a pattern for a 3d grid? If you could overlay that on top then you'd be able to keep things lined up pretty well...not to mention that I'd snag a copy for myself to use ;)

Here be the best place for graph/grid paper: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

-Rob A>

Ascension
11-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks, Rob. Didn't see what I wanted there but the diamonds is pretty close so I can play around with that one and make it work.

Djekspek
11-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Rob, it is a very useful site. However I couldn't find any grids on different Axonometric projection (maybe I didn't look right). Well, I had nothing better to do and Iwanted them anyway so I created some grids, 1 for iso-metric, 1 for dimetric projection (I like that bette then pure ISO) and one with 3 VP perspective (usefull for creating overland-icons). Oh btw there many sites but www.khulsey.com/perspective_basics.html is good site for some basics on projections. cheers

Ascension
11-20-2009, 05:53 PM
That first one is almost perfect, the lines are a little thick but I can work with that. The second one appears to missing the second diagonal (the one that goes up on the left side).

Djekspek
11-21-2009, 02:12 PM
thanks Ascension. I'm not sure what you miss on the 2nd one though, It's dimetric and I think the angles of all 3 axis are correct... or am i missing something completely here?

Ascension
11-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Well I have no idea on what many things mean, so I could just be mistaken about definitions, no biggie.

RobA
11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks, Rob. Didn't see what I wanted there but the diamonds is pretty close so I can play around with that one and make it work.

I just use the equilateral triangle one...

Here is a 8.5x11 pdf.

-Rob A>

Ramah
11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Ok, inspired by the way this thread is going I whipped up a very quick iso image.

Just turn it into a pattern and you're good to go. I actually prefer to squash the image size by 50% on the height before turning it into a pattern so the resultant drawings are seen from a lower height. Of course you can squash it or elongate it further depending on your requirements.

Hope this helps someone.