PDA

View Full Version : Ghoul tunnels of Hedgemond

psyekl
11-18-2009, 11:57 PM
I've been drawing quite a lot lately for a game I'm going to be running this holiday season. I don't think any of my players visit CG, so I will risk posting a couple of the maps. As is common for me: these maps are drawn by hand.

The method I usually use is to start with a light blue pencil for roughing out the design, followed by a soft HB pencil (.5mm mechanical pencil) and finished up with ink. For my more "important" drawings I usually use a set of Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph technical pens on vellum or Bristol board, but since these drawings are done quickly and not intended for any kind use beyond this one game I'm just using felt-tip technical pens on normal copy paper.

I drew the cemetery undisturbed and just added notes to a printed version to represent the damage caused by the undead, and am doing the same for the tunnels. Someday I'll teach myself how to label my maps digitally...

mearrin69
11-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Dude, you're killin' me with these. Maybe they're rough to you but they beat most of the stuff being put out by the RPG publishers these days. Love the draftsman style. Layer that with some painterly colors and I think these would be beautiful. I'd rep you for them but I think I gave you some a bit ago.
M

DevinNight
11-19-2009, 11:15 AM
great looking maps, in the second one your crosshatching is a bit distracting. I like the style though especially the layout of the cemetery, has a real kind of feel to it.

wormspeaker
11-19-2009, 02:01 PM
I love these. They look exactly like a good hand drawn map should.

psyekl
11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
great looking maps, in the second one your crosshatching is a bit distracting.

It's the little adjustments that I only notice after the drawing has been finished that makes me want to learn how to use the software programs, being able to edit my work digitally would really help me out. I'm playing around with GIMP and Inkscape and I hope to purchase Photoshop sometime soon.

mearrin69
11-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm finding that, with my scanned drawings, I'm able to do a fair bit of tweaking to my original work using the built-in tools (select, move, erase, draw, etc.) I can also redraw sections on a new sheet and scan that and combine it with my original.
M

aegean
11-25-2009, 12:03 AM
@ psyekl plus anybody.....

Awesome hand drawn maps! - do you know how I might emulate that cross hatch in PhotoShop with out the need to draw each stroke? Possibly using a brush?

Would love to here any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

ae

Ascension
11-25-2009, 12:56 AM
I believe that it's a pattern in the Elements section here on the forum...I know that I picked up 2 very similar from that section.

RobA
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Here is one I posted up in the elements forum:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3746

-Rob A>

Meshon
11-25-2009, 01:48 PM
I love these maps. They remind me of the best of the old ICE Middle Earth maps. Very high quality work!

cheers,
Meshon

psyekl
11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
I love these maps. They remind me of the best of the old ICE Middle Earth maps. Very high quality work!

cheers,
Meshon

The maps published for the MERP game were definitely some excellent inspiration to me back when I was younger. I wouldn't doubt my style is heavily influenced by them.

Turgenev
12-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Very nice! These maps deserve some well earned rep. Keep up the great work.

The Cartographist
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm a little late to the discussion, but these are fantastic. They are exactly the style that I am trying out right now is a few personal projects.

Jaxilon
12-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Wow, those are excellent. Any chance you are a draftsman or do something like this all the time, or is it just a hobby? Very nice, have some rep.

hubbardmapworks
12-14-2009, 02:22 AM
that first map is very professional. looks like you've done some landscape architecture before. very nice. i need some just like that of my family's cemetaries down in georgia.

psyekl
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Wow, those are excellent. Any chance you are a draftsman or do something like this all the time, or is it just a hobby? Very nice, have some rep.

As a matter of fact I've been drafting since the early 80's, and have been drawing as a hobby since my earliest memories. My professional specialty is residential design but cartography has always been my first love. While I am experienced with AutoCAD I still make my maps by hand since I enjoy the feel of putting pen to paper, but I'm starting to play with using graphics software to improve my productivity since I'm planning on doing fantasy cartography professionally for publishers and the like.