PDA

View Full Version : In need of criticism

Shadow69
11-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I joined this place a long time ago but never really did anything. Received a friendly reminded about account inactivity so I thought it would be great to drop by and maybe even post something. So here is my work.

It is not great, nor good in my opinion. Just a little something I did. If someone has an opinion I would love to hear it.

These maps are in no way complete and certainly lack parts maps ought to have. However they are still mine and I think that's what matters.

Ascension
11-20-2009, 11:05 PM
I quite like that first one, nice job.

Sigurd
11-20-2009, 11:45 PM
re: In need of criticism

Ok. Your feet are too big and I think you better wash your hands.

:P

Why don't you tell us what you were trying to achieve with the maps. I like them but I don't really know what you were aiming at. Are they supposed to be aged and battered?

The look a little like they are each two layers - a cleaner paper landmass on a grunge background. I think they'd be cool as a sculpture of balsa\parchment on dirty blue metal.

Sigurd

PS. I dont know about your feet but I think we all should wash our hands :).

Midgardsormr
11-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I like the style, and the very saturated blue. The black level of the mountains appears to be a little darker than the trees; I think it would look better if the mountains were lightened just a little bit.

The compass rose doesn't really match the rest of the map. Also, I'm not sure about orienting the directions as you did adds anything to the map. It's confusing and doesn't convey any additional information, so I'd leave all the letters upright.

Be careful that your labels don't intersect with other lines of similar color, as that reduces legibility.

Nice work, I hope you keep at it!

Gandwarf
11-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Looks pretty good I think! Have some rep.
Are the thin grey lines rivers? If so, you might be in trouble with the river police ;)

Steel General
11-21-2009, 09:23 AM
These are pretty good go far (especially the first one), I think you have a pretty good idea for layouts etc.

But, as Sigurd said, give as bit of info on what you are trying to achieve and we should be able to send you off in the proper direction. :)

Andreoden
11-21-2009, 12:21 PM
i think they look quite good.

Redrobes
11-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Good maps there - welcome. Definitely a better late than never intro ;)

cereth
11-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I like them too. Nicely done. That blue is very vibrant.

Have some rep! :)

elemental_elf
11-24-2009, 12:51 AM
I really like the first one, it's very beautiful. :)

My only complaints are that the compass feels too modern for the map and the lines emanating from each point are a tad too dark.

NeonKnight
11-24-2009, 06:39 AM
I agree the first map is quite beautiful. I am fairly certain the grey lines are political borders, yes?

Shadow69
11-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Correcto mundo NeonKnight, the lines are borders of the regions of the kingdom.

The final goal of the maps is to make a whole world. Everything is planned already, I just need to finish the rest of the maps. Each map would represent a continent and later all would be put on a large scale image to complete the world.

It's naturally a fantasy setting I've been using in D&D campaigns. There are two more maps, one I forgot to put up here and the other is not yet complete. Well, actually, none of them are complete, they are missing many things. I have yet to add rivers, names for everything and so on. Currently I'm working on putting the first map into a much higher resolution of 300 rather than the 72 it was made in.

Yeah, I agree that the rose doesn't match the rest of the feel. I'll have to make a new, more fitting one.

Also, the mountains and trees come from a brush and were added because I needed a working map quickly and it was the fastest way to do it. One day I'll maybe make my own trees, mountains and other doodads.