PDA

View Full Version : Elosha

Ascension
11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Something I whipped up today just to keep in practice. I put the dread red letters in just to see if I could make them work. I'll finish it up tomorrow night.

LonewandererD
11-23-2009, 04:23 AM
Whoa nice, very painterly. Not a big fan of the colour scheme but that's just personal preference, still nice colours though. What text is that, it fits perfectly with a fantasy map.

-D-

Steel General
11-23-2009, 06:43 AM
I almost feel obligated to comment, since I'm usually the one that "complains" about the red lettering.

It works well here because you've got enough of a glow/stroke around it so that it doesn't bleed into the green as well as it being larger size.

Oh yeah...it's a pretty darn nice map as well :)

Ascension
11-23-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm with ya on the red SG that's why I took it on to force it. Basically it's a mud color overlay with a red inner glow and gradient stroke of dark reds with a white outer glow. The font is Sanctuary...wanted something kind of spooky. Not too wild about the Ts being ankhs and no capital letters so maybe I'll change that tonight. The whole thing is pretty much a hybrid of my style combined with the Dragon Age style...or an attempt at least.

Aenigma
11-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Su-weeeet 8)

Kinda reminded me of the Southern half of Sweden untill I saw all the mountains.

Steel General
11-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I actually like that font, even with the ankh Ts

The-Somberlain
11-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Nice map, though I think the coastlines are extremely fractal-like. I like the 'blurry' map style, but the lettering pops out more than it should I think. The coloring works just fine though.

cereth
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Looks very cool, as always. I like the seas around the islands a lot. That blue is very vibrant. The shore does maybe look a little too "fractal", but its a very minor quip.

Ascension
11-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Excellent points my friends. I was thinking the same thing about blurring the letters and symbols. On the coast I probably overdid it with the pixellate-crystallize filter...need to go back and run a noise-median on that to smooth it out just a tad.

Tear
11-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I have not much to add.
The fractal coastlines were already addressed, and the blurriness of the vegetation is apparently done on purpose and should work nicely for printing purposes.
The only thing apart from the coastline I would think about refining some more, personally, would be the transition from mountains to flatter terrain, especially in the wooded areas.

Just my 2 cents.

torstan
11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Nice work.

Locution
11-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Just whipped up to stay in practice... I have much to learn LOL.

Great work!

Ascension
11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Good point Tear, I always have problems with the footyhills. I'll work on that, too.

Ascension
11-23-2009, 11:40 PM
OK, I think I fixed the problem spots but I wanted to post it up before going any further with the labeling. Smoothed out the coasts a bit and had to redo a lot of masks and strokes. Put in some foothills but I didn't want to go overboard with em. Tiny blur on the text and symbols. Slight color tweaks to make it less harsh. Slightly more pronounced river valleys. Ran a paint daubs filter over top of the palette knife filter (instead of blurring the palette knife) for a different look. The ocean was done on a layer way down in the stack with a watercolor filter.

Ascension
11-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Lots of tweaks, mainly to colors. Finished labels so I'm ready to call it done. Some of the labels might be hard to read because of the size and the font but that's how I want it...don't want to spend any more time on labels.

~A~

Gidde
11-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh yeah, those colors are much better, although I hadn't seen anything wrong with the old colors either. These seem more natural. Looks great.

cereth
11-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Very nice. The "title" came out awesome...almost looks like liquid metal or something. It's a nice touch.

Toning the colors down gives it a nice, washed-out watercolor feel. I also like the very subtle "water color paper" (not sure what else to call it) texture the whole map has.

Ramah
11-26-2009, 09:47 AM
I liked the original colours just fine but I also like the new slightly muted colours, so it's all cool there.
My only criticism with the whole thing would be on this last version I cannot see where the forests are other than a "is that a different shade of green?" uncertainty. I can see where you have forest and jungle labels but it's hard to see where they actually are. On your earlier, more vibrant colour scheme I could see the change in greens more apparently.

Still, great map Ascension, as usual.

Ascension
11-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Inspired by Ramah's icons I thought I'd do a few of my own for this map, nothing special just quick stuff...here's a screenie. I'm thinking I might redo all of my cities and towns this way...might be too much, I dunno. Basically I start with a 400 x 400 page and draw it up, turn it into a brush, then shrink it down when painting them in.

Ramah
11-26-2009, 11:30 AM
They look great. I love the splash of colour on the towers, nice and subtle.

Ascension
11-26-2009, 07:01 PM
OK so I went and redid the standard icons with some iso-cartoony icons. I like em and unless I figure out more little things to draw for unique places, like maybe a Colossus or Hanging Gardens, I'll call this done. Maybe ;)

Ascension
11-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Ramah wanted to see some more definition for my forests and I think this works pretty well...just some airbrushed olive green with a textured bevel for bumpiness. It looks a lil more like my usual sat-style and I was trying to avoid that but hand-drawn forests were not working.

LonewandererD
11-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah, forests are always a pain aren't they. Love what you have, especially the little city symbols, a few of them to seem to fade into the background a bit more than others, but thats just me nitpicking.

-D-

Tear
11-27-2009, 04:12 AM
I love your location icons! The shadows on those are a bit harsh, though.

Steel General
11-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Yeah I agree with Tear, might think about softening the shadows just a bit, otherwise cool stuff as always.

Ramah
11-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Love your icons, especially the little castle and tower. Your forest texture helps a lot with making them more visible but there are a few places where it goes over lakes and so looks odd.

This nitpick aside, the map looks wonderful. Great stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, and personally I like the shadows being so bold.

Ascension
11-27-2009, 02:40 PM
I'll check those bumps in the lakes, thought I had masked that off. The shadows were ... just plain odd. I started by drawing the lil icon thingies, turning them into brushes and then adding shadows by hand but when I got to the town icons I had a whole bunch of shadow to do by hand...not gonna happen. So I started putting them into the initial drawing. I usually like my shadows at 50% opacity but with them being part of the whole brush I can't change them now. I guess I could go back over them with a low opacity eraser in areas where the terrain is light so they don't stand out so much.

Ascension
11-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I posted the icons that I made for this map in my brush thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=90755#post90755). Not as cool or as well-done as Ramah's but they served their purpose for what I needed.

Ascension
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Just for fun I thought that I'd post how this map started...a blend my Jasmine Coast map and my Aalder map. Lots of layers, colors, filters, and hand work later I ended up with the first image in the thread.

LonewandererD
12-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Whoa, nice is a great enough word for this. You must tell me, how do you do the green grassy landmass, especially the area in the upper, eastern quarter of the map, its the type of green land I've been trying to make but have failed at.

Tried to add rep but need to spread some more around first, nabbing a copy of this.

-D-

Ascension
12-02-2009, 01:47 AM
I just pick an olive green, light or dark, airbrush it on a new layer, and turn the opacity down until the underneath shows through. Sometimes I'll use a blend mode of hue or color but nothing real special. Just experiment with colors and blends and opacities. Hard to explain really.

Vorhees
12-02-2009, 03:57 AM
Awesome once more i see, i liked both versions , love the way the contrast colors on the coast make the map POP out.

paulbhartzog
11-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Inspired by Ramah's icons I thought I'd do a few of my own for this map, nothing special just quick stuff...here's a screenie. I'm thinking I might redo all of my cities and towns this way...might be too much, I dunno. Basically I start with a 400 x 400 page and draw it up, turn it into a brush, then shrink it down when painting them in.

I have been looking for icons like those (pyramid in particular). Any chance you would share these? Are they already around here somewhere (looks under couch cushions....)

;-)

bradlavario
11-20-2011, 06:41 PM
I have a question, btw your maps are beyond awesome, they make me *sigh* and think how much I suck... but back to my question ......

You started out with more of a google-ish photo looking map, but then you shifted to a more artsy looking.... did you have to completely re-skin the map, or is there a magic combination of settings to transform from google-ish to artsy?

I still have no idea how to make cool looking ground, so I use a pattern CoyoteMax shared, but its a bit too Google-ish... what do I do?