PDA

View Full Version : Refuge V2

Davros01
11-26-2009, 08:52 AM
While working on Karnak, i'm playing around with my campaign setting. Let me know if the general idea works or not.

Steel General
11-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Not a big fan of the trees, but the rest looks pretty good so far.

thesubatomic
11-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I like it, aside from the trees, the colors are pretty nice in my opinion.

Davros01
11-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Latest update: Made numerous changes to effects and changed trees. Let me know what you think!!!

i'm not sure about the style that is emerging, may change directions completely... Whats the community think. keep refining this style or try something completely different. As always, thanks for the feedback.

Gandwarf
11-28-2009, 07:09 AM
The trees look pretty good now, I think.

Steel General
11-28-2009, 08:44 AM
The trees are definitely better, though they may be a bit large. You might consider shrinking them a bit.

Ascension
11-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I like that heavy line look, very unique. Trees are a lil large, yes, but this is a style we don't see very often so keep on it and maybe dump the textures. Pretty cool.

rdanhenry
11-28-2009, 09:36 PM
The trees are fine. Yes, they are as tall as the mountains. So what? They're graphical symbols. This map is clearly not trying to be a picture and bigger trees mean you have to draw fewer of them, which makes it less work for the cartographer. It looks good, too. What I would consider changing is the glow on the text. It seems a bit much, especially on "Land of the Prydonians". I think with the limited colors you are using, the text could stand out all right without any glow at all, really.

Davros01
11-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Refinement 2.2

Changes: - Toned down the text glows.
- Added some contours to the mountains and Forests
- Removed texturizing (for now) gonna use another program with a bit
- more refinement.
- Added names and places

once I get a 'good' result on prydon, i'll begin the rest of the map.

Marc

Ramah
11-29-2009, 08:06 AM
I like it. I think the very bold lines of the trees and the mountains go perfectly with the angular coastlines and the bevel on them.

The only thing I don't like are the labels. It isn't the glow so much as the actual text is very blurry the "Land of the Prydonians" doesn't look as bad, although it is still a little soft, but "Monster Isle" and "Co'Mir" etc. seem far too blurred. They just don't go with the bold, thick lines of the map in my opinion.

Apart from the labels though this is looking great. An unusual but very nice style.

rdanhenry
11-29-2009, 12:16 PM
The glow on the mountain names is very uneven and this is reducing legibility. The "Land of the Prydonians" is looking great and I think the other labels are serviceable, although the text could be sharper.

Davros01
11-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Version 2.3

- Added the Dominion of Ur
- Removed the Blur on the text

rdanhenry
11-30-2009, 03:42 PM
The Dominion of Ur has some problems. The first is the labels. The font has the jaggies in many places and there are some kerning problems (In "Ur's Wrath" the gap between "W" and "r" is utterly out of proportion with the rest of the text.) I can't afford CC, so all I can suggest is experimenting with some other fonts.

There are also issues with the rivers. The first thing I noticed about them is that they got thinner downriver in places, where they would normally be thicker, having picked up more water. (Example: the river down to the sea from the Holy City of Ulm has a thinner stroke than either of the forks that come together at the Holy City. Then I got to the eastern river, which either has a clear river violation (running from sea to sea) or else the lower branch to the sea is a rather crooked canal with no nearby urban center to justify it.

Is that supposed to be volcanic fumes rising from the central mountains? I think I'm interpreting correctly now, but my first thought was a canyon or sands of some sort. The color isn't really "volcanic" enough to be clear if I'm right.

Are you going to add a scale, compass rose, or other information? If not, you might put some decorative items or expository text on the water, to keep it from being a vast blankness. Of course, you might want the vast blankness.

By the way, Davros01, have you voted in the latest competition? I figure a guy with that nick is my best chance to actually get a vote, for sentimental reasons, since I did a map of Skaro.

Davros01
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
rdanhenry - Sorry, already voted.

Text, i'm working on. its easy to correct, just gotta do it.

A buddy of mine mentioned the volcano. I'll work on it also.

Damn rivers!!!! ;)

Davros01
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Changed fonts, edited my sea to shining sea river. mountain tweaks, reduced glow on text. plus a host of smaller tweaks. There is no scale yet

Davros01
12-05-2009, 06:28 AM
The entire world. I need some advice.

Ascension
12-05-2009, 08:18 AM
I think it looks pretty interesting, not sure you need as much help as you think.

Davros01
12-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Alot of changes. I left out the text (although text adds alot to maps) let me know what you guys think?? This style is sort of odd, that I'm trying. Willing to ditch it if it isn't hitting anyones fancy.

thx,
Marc

Ascension
12-24-2009, 09:32 PM
No matter what keep it and develop it...people weren't wild about my style at first either. I think it looks pretty good but I'd tighten up the coloring around the mountains and trees...it bleeds out too far I think.

Jaxilon
12-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I like what you are doing here. I like the mountains. Glad you changed the major glow effect you had going on at the start for the labels.

I liked the more olive color you used on the trees at the start, that bright green to me seems a bit rich for the tone of the map, but then I don't see what you have in your minds eye so maybe you want it vivid. It's definitely not bad as it is.

Is there a reason for the different colors you have now on the forests? I suspect they represent different tree types.

Anyway, don't ditch it, it's taking shape rather nicely I think.

Davros01
12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
alright, i'm into the final steps for both versions of Refuge. The color one, and the brown one. Which of them looks best. or the third option - start over.

1) color is better
2) brown is better
3) you're a pinhead, start over and give us something that looks like a map.

thanks,
Marc

Ramah
12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
The colour one looks great. Is it Clercon's style from the annual thingy? I like the brown one but I don't think you've got it quite right yet.
For instance, I don't like the patches of green with the blur around the edges on the brown one. That big computery blur doesn't fit in with the style you are shooting for imo. Whereas on the colour one it fits in just fine.
I prefer your labelling on the colour one too.

I do prefer a more destaurated, hand-drawn style map myself and I think with some modifications I would prefer the brown one. But for now I'd vote for the colour.

Jaxilon
12-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I think Ramah has the gist of it. The color one is easier to read. The names on the brown map sort of overwhelm.

They both have their appeal though so keep up the good work.

Ascension
12-27-2009, 12:35 AM
I only have two main quibbles with the brown map - the forests around Malwa don't look the other forests in the west, it's kind of pixellated...and the ocean fonts need some tweaking.

Datagoblin
12-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Seeing them individually, I had liked the brown one...When you put them side by side and ask me to choose, I prefer the color map over the brown one.

Datagoblin

Davros01
01-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Alright, I gotta get going on my world. I just can't decide, i like so many styles. Here is my last style attempt. going back to the source... Mercatur.

Let me know what you think.

As always thanks, and happy new year
Marc

Steel General
01-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I like this so far...

Davros01
01-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Heres my latest. i think its shaping up nicely. i need some critiques :)

Marc

Ascension
01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
My main thing is that the land isn't realistic in shape...it's jagged but very straight. It needs a lot more roughness. The other minor thing is that on a world scale that thick black river has a big split in it too far from the coast to be a delta. Over all, though, it looks good in style.

moutarde
01-01-2010, 04:06 PM
One thing you might want to consider for your landmass is program called Hugin (http://hugin.sourceforge.net/). I don't know the full ins and outs of it, but you can use it to quickly and easily transform a square image into a hi res stereographic or azimuthal projection of the same image. Naeddyr wrote a short tutorial on how to use Hugin on these forums (link (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5025&highlight=hugin)). It's much easier than trying to manually draw in the proper land distortion near the poles :)

Davros01
01-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Thx All,

I've corrected the rivers in reference to the thickness. I'm gonna have to look up the Delta comment. I'm gonna take on the River Police... muhahahahah.

As far as the straight lines. its a good call, and I totally agree. However, i'm trying to achieve the Mercatur effect. That is he didn't necessarily have the fidelity in detail as in later maps. I've attached a guiide that I'm using. (Obviously, i'm not as good as the masters, only a guide)

Let me know,
With this in mind, should I still add more greeblies to the land masses????

thanks for the comments,
The really make me think.

Marc

Davros01
01-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Hmmmm, I was gonna just edit my post to take out the challenge to the River Police because I had already made the rivers thinner and removed the delta.

I think in general you are correct (much gnashing) but it isn't a 100% deal. I only did a little research and came up with the Tech river. It starts over 125 miles away from the coast. The reason for this was that it was the main course at one time. by the way attached is the latest. Gonna change the southern river

Datagoblin
01-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Greeblies Greeblies Greeblies...You gotta use 'em buddy :) However, depending on the look you are going for, its really up to you. I have seen some maps from the 1800's that have a lot of angular lines and straight coasts in them and they do have a certain appeal.

If you want it more realistic you could always screenshot Google Earth and add it as a layer to your maps :P

Davros01
01-02-2010, 05:29 AM
My Latest. It contains 2.... yes 2 views of the same hemi