PDA

View Full Version : *** November 2009 Challenge VOTING - The Destroyed Lands ***

Gandwarf
11-26-2009, 03:36 PM
VOTE FOR 2 (TWO)
November Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Nov09.htm)

Thank you to all the participants for their efforts and entries. Let the voting begin!

Summary of the rules for this month's challenge:

The goal is to map a place that was forever changed by a series of cataclysmic events. The impact op the cataclysm should be clearly visible, maybe even altering the terrain. It's up to you to decide if there's any survivors and what kind of life they now lead. Just remember, the more mayhem, the merrier.

Some examples of possible maps:

- A planet scorched by the sun.
- A city overrun by demons from a portal.
- A regional map depicting a huge crater left by a comet (or a moon?).
- A world wrecked by a godly war.
- The United States after the Zombie apocalypse.
- Lands confronted by a new ice age.
- Nuclear Armageddon.
- Nature fighting back!
- The human colonies after aliens blasted them all to smithereens.
- A dungeon after Gromet and party visited it

Good Voting everyone and don't forget to rep the work you liked!

Ghostman
11-26-2009, 04:06 PM
An easy choise this time. Awesome maps from Djekspek and Sapiento :)

Redrobes
11-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I didn't find it all that easy to choose. But I went with the two that after voting seem quite popular at this early stage. Which is unusual for me as I seem to always pick outsiders. Though I agree that Djekspek's map / art has some punch to it that make it hard to not vote for.

Ascension
11-26-2009, 04:57 PM
I was looking for a clear before and after map. Four met that criterion. Of those I thought that Mearrin and Sapiento were the best. Steel was just missing something and Euio's 2 differing styles threw me off. If I were voting on beauty I would have chosen Djek and Cereth. If I were voting for technical best I would have picked Imm or Worm. The other three look incomplete but that's just what I see. I didn't enter because I have been suffering from "failing inspiration" lately so mine would have been incomplete too. Thank you to everyone for entering.

ravells
11-26-2009, 05:32 PM
No disrespect to the other entrants, but if I could have voted twice for Djkeckspeck's map, I would have. Close second between Sapiento's fantastic city (truly a work of art) and Cereth's dour finish, and Cereth just pipped it for me.

Great work everyone..special mention to SG for some beautiful texturing and euio (most imaginative). But great work everyone. I think I'll be handing out rep to all who competed. But that map by Djekspek...what a map...what ....a .... map.

Steel General
11-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Ultimately my votes went to Djekspek and Sapiento...

Djekspek's was more art than map to me, but the effort was obvious.

Sapiento I thought had what I felt was the best interpretation of how I viewed the challenge.

Thanks to all who entered :)

mearrin69
11-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow. Nice work from everyone. With only two votes I had to go with Djekspek and cereth. Qonworld in a work of art and is full of tasty colors. The Sundered Lands makes me want to play a game there and explore what has happened to that world. It reminds me a little of D&D 2e Planescape for some reason (besides the similar font). Oddly, neither of those contain a before shot, which I had initially figured my be a requirement for my vote.

Honorable mentions to Immolate (lovely map) and Sapiento. If I had another vote it'd go to one of these. I could find things to rave about on all of the other maps as well. Cool challenge, nice entries.

Oh, and thanks, Ascension, for keeping me from going voteless! :)
M

Immolate
11-26-2009, 10:26 PM
My votes went to euio and wormspeaker because I liked their pieces. If it looked like Qonworld would need my vote to carry it across the finish line, I would have voted for it because I think it is the most compelling piece in the challenge and deserving of the win. Cereth's piece also deserves special mention because of it's bold style and craftsmanship. If it had been submitted earlier in the contest, I probably would have voted for it.

Good job everyone who participated once again. Rep to you all!

Djekspek
11-27-2009, 05:16 AM
great maps all! my votes went to Sapiento (love those texture on the little buildings) and cereth (the high-contrast B&W gives it a unique look). Also really liked the maps of SG (great textures but could have had some more details like cities etc) and Immolate (great style/idea but the splatters/cracks seem a bit 'out of style' to me). cheers

Sapiento
11-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Djekspek: Beautiful art
euio: great level of destruction

Endarguul
11-27-2009, 01:01 PM
voted for cereth and steel general

I really love cereth's style it perfectly fits the theme imho.

I also liked steel general's before and after scenario.

So one vote for each of them.

Cheers,
Enda

rdanhenry
11-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Qonworld for beautifully and whimsically depicted state of destruction.
euio's version of supercollider doom for elegance and clarity, plus a bonus for finding a great way to use side-by-side maps in the challenge without falling back on before/after

If I could have voted for 3, the third would have gone to Sapiento. That was a really nice Atlantis, and a nicely messed up Atlantis.

Congratulations to all! We made maps! Whee!

Adanvo
11-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I voted for:

Djespek - great map; the landscape looks great; more a stylish poster than a normal map ;-)

Cereth - i like the greyish style very much!

RobA
11-27-2009, 07:08 PM
This was a hard vote. There were about four that I wanted to vote on.

-Rob A>

Coyotemax
11-27-2009, 07:23 PM
In some ways this would have been easier to vote on if there was only one choice :) I spent some time reviewing each entry and comparing to the challenge description. It took about an hour but I finally narrowed it down to 2. the hardest part was when i had 5 open and they all seemed to fit the theme perfectly. I tried keeping personal preference for styles out of it, but in the end I had to use that as a criteria, otherwise I would have ended up not voting :)
I took care not to read anything in this thread before I did the voting, but still ended up voting for the leaders :)

Amazing work to everyone who entered (I just wasn't inspired this month, and i didn't want to enter something halfbaked) and rep all around.

nolgroth
11-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Sundered Lands and Qonworld both got my vote. There was some pretty stiff competition but ultimately, the "Oh that's cool!" response is what won my vote over.

NeonKnight
11-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Djepsek's map (a true beauty) and the bleak look of Cereth's is what cinched it for me.

Issek
11-28-2009, 08:08 PM
There was quite a variety of choice in this poll. Are you conducting the poll out of personal interest?

Ascension
11-28-2009, 08:19 PM
No, Issek, this was a challenge...a competition. We do it every month. You can join in the next one if you'd like.

wormspeaker
11-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I had to vote for QonWorld for obvious reasons. It's quite gorgeous and interesting to look at. Immolate's map got my other vote because the style just works for me.

Blaidd Drwg
12-01-2009, 02:49 AM
My vote goes to Djekspek's map. I love its playfulness. It brings me right back to those days when I still watched fantastic shows like Teddy Ruxpin and Bucky o'Hare. ^___^

Gandwarf
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Congrats for winning this contest Mr. Spek! There was some tough competition.
Thanks all for participating. Don't forget to rep the entries you liked.

Djekspek
12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow! Thanks to all the people that voted for my map. The shiny medal really makes it worthwhile spending so much time on it :D When I entered I didn't think I'd stand a chance on winning and was surprised again by the awesome quality & creativeness of the entries. So cheers for all who entered! I had a blast making this map, thanks to the C&C-ers as well. cheers

ravells
12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
It was a stunner Dj, we don't get too many done like that and well, I just loved it. It had character, story and mood. A well deserved win!

Everyone: Don't forget to rep the maps you voted for!

euio
12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Congratulations, D! You certainly deserved it, with all the work you put into drawing that map.

RobA
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow! Thanks to all the people that voted for my map. The shiny medal really makes it worthwhile spending so much time on it :D When I entered I didn't think I'd stand a chance on winning and was surprised again by the awesome quality & creativeness of the entries. So cheers for all who entered! I had a blast making this map, thanks to the C&C-ers as well. cheers

You what that means though... no more light challenges for you!

-Rob A>

Coyotemax
12-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Very very well deserved win. :)

Ramah
12-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Just realised I didn't comment in this thread.

Congratulations, Djekspek. Your entry was really well crafted and deserves the recognition it has received.

Immolate
12-08-2009, 06:03 PM
December is a busy time for everyone, I know, but it would be a shame if December of 2009 was the first "miss" for a challenge. If there is any way I can help, please let me know.

Gandwarf
12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Well, do you have an idea for the challenge, Immolate? :P