PDA

View Full Version : Milestones

industrygothica
11-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Just to make sure that everyone knows, we've hit a major milestone in the CWBP, in that everyone one of the original 30 tiles of Ansium have been mapped. I haven't bothered counting the smaller regional and town and city maps, but they are easily numbering in the double digits. I know of at least one Dungeons and Dragons game taking place in Ansium (and am proud to say that I'm the one running it on EN World for everyone to see).

All in all, I'd say that, as of this point, the CWBP has been a success since its incarnation so many months ago. Thanks Torq for such a wonderful idea!

Unfortunately, Torq has been inactive here for some months, and there have been countless new member to the Cartographers' Guild with immeasurable talent and insight who I can't help but think would have wanted to get in on the ground floor ofthis project. IMHO, this is a perfect time to build new interest and breathe some fresh life into the CWBP with these new members, if we can get a community leader to take over and offer a bit of direction.

Of course this is all just my two cents, but I thought it was something worth announcing.

-IG

Ghostman
11-27-2009, 06:44 AM
The world (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1769) certainly seems to have plenty of unmapped space left. Couldn't you just pick another set of tiles (perhaps directly to the east of the currently mapped zone, stretching all the way to those little islands off the coast) and have a new landgrab?

industrygothica
11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
The world (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1769) certainly seems to have plenty of unmapped space left. Couldn't you just pick another set of tiles (perhaps directly to the east of the currently mapped zone, stretching all the way to those little islands off the coast) and have a new landgrab?

We certainly could, but it'll be up to someone with more stroke than me to make that decision.

-IG

ravells
11-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Bear with us IG....I'll raise this as a separate topic on the CL discussion board.

industrygothica
11-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Bear with us IG....I'll raise this as a separate topic on the CL discussion board.

Thank you.

-IG

mearrin69
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
This isn't related to the management of the project, but...I'm a new member here and have looked through this forum a few times without coming away with any really solid concept for how to pitch in and help with the project. I've taken a look through the sticky threads but have been a bit overwhelmed by the huge amount of information presented there.

A "starting point" FAQ would, IMO, be immensely helpful for wrangling new folks into putting some blood and sweat into building this world. Hopefully I haven't missed some glaringly obvious how-to guide that already exists. I'd be more than happy to get involved...as it seems I'll have some more time coming into the new year.
M

ravells
11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
It's all under discussion so NOTHING IS SET IN STONE, but we may start again or amend the project and what you have just said is very helpful in helping us choose what we should do with it. The CWBP is a great concept but we can learn from the first experience. Hang in there and watch this space!

forgedchaos
11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I am new here and love to see the works on these boards and wanted to help ever since I saw this project. I just didn't want to say anything until I got may tablet next month. But if this project is going to continue I would love to help. Just let me know what to do and I'll start with what I have.

industrygothica
11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
It's all under discussion so NOTHING IS SET IN STONE, but we may start again or amend the project and what you have just said is very helpful in helping us choose what we should do with it. The CWBP is a great concept but we can learn from the first experience. Hang in there and watch this space!

I agree that a "how to" FAQ would be immensely helpful.

Waiting patiently...

I am new here and love to see the works on these boards and wanted to help ever since I saw this project. I just didn't want to say anything until I got may tablet next month. But if this project is going to continue I would love to help. Just let me know what to do and I'll start with what I have.

As it stands now, there are no more regional areas available for mapping. However, you are more than welcome to map a city or town in any of the completed regional areas. You can also create and map a particular structure in any city or town.

Redrobes keeps a compiled list list of the towns that have already been mapped throughout the project. If the town you want to map isn't on that list, then it's free for the taking. If it is on the list, check to see if it hasn't been abandoned (and more than a few have been); if it has you're probably safe to take it over.

Hope that helps!

-IG

Redrobes
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah, the wiki has a list with more detail but I maintain, or rather a script rips out, a list of places we have mapped. All the top level tiles have been done for the Ansium area but theres loads of regional, and city maps below that and almost all of the cities have not been done - only a tiny fraction of them have. Some areas have had more love than others and some have the tile terrain done and nothing at all in them.

All the CWBP - everything in it - is CC licensed so that means:

a) You can take a copy for free. You dont need to ask any kind of permission to use it so long as you respect the CC license.
b) You can modify and repost an original or your modified map...

So long as:

a) You attribute the list of originators / contributors to it.
b) You don't make money off of it.
c) Any map you make that makes use of CWBP material to form part of it must also be shared with the same license. That guarantees that all of it stays free for everyone.

Its a world where *you* can add create and modify or choose to ignore bits of.

Personally I think it would be better to have some of the existing bits detailed further but I think that most people would like to map out new bits of the world.

We have one group playing in this world in Port Magalie with a yellow star on my overview map of Ansium but it would be cool if there were more people in different groups so that they flushed out other areas a bit more.

Click on map for big version...
http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles_TN.png (http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/ThinkBig/Region/MappedTiles.png)

mearrin69
11-30-2009, 07:09 PM
From Ravells' post, above, I got the distinct impression that the project might be "rebooted"? If that's not the case then I'll go try to see if I can figure out what urban areas have not been mapped yet and grab one to play with. I'm still a little in the dark on constraints (as regards creating/modifying items in the campaign world) but I'll make an effort to get up to speed if the information is available in this forum.
M

forgedchaos
11-30-2009, 07:18 PM
That was the thing I was worried about mearrin69 is that it looked like the people that made those maps looked like they put a lot of effort into them and placing the cities on them. I am worried that they have certain ideas about what they should be like and worried about mucking about in someone else's ideas.

Redrobes
11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Its true we encourage a view of the wiki to see whats generally in those areas and you get a feel for the place but its an open map. You pick a city not mapped yet and have a go. Its a good idea to match scale and any neighbor maps etc but on the whole theres not a lot of restrictions to it. As you can see from the varied styles of the tiles, there was not a lot of constraints. We have the world as a fractal terrain map and theres a lot of it un mapped. So no it wont be rebooted. There may be new world regions being opened up tho. Noones abandoning the Ansium region. It just might expand a bit or we might decide to carve the whole world up and take on bigger chunks at a large scale and work down in more levels. Each of Ansiums tiles are about 600 miles square so it was big enough to do each of those in my opinion tho. When you zoom in to see the cities at correct scale theres a lot of nothing between the tile and the city. Not many regional maps were done.

So think about what style you have and try to map something with a similar kind of style and work up an area or two. If you do, start a thread in the CWBP area and start the title with "[Region1][Tile7][Map 7] Timbucktoo" or similar to match the others then it will get ripped into the index automatically.

So yeah, get in there and add some maps to it.

ravells
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
The project may be re-booted but I doubt very much we will 'throw away' all the hard work that's already gone into it.

mearrin69
12-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Okay. So. I'm in. But somebody help me buy a clue. :) How do I pick something to map and make sure it's mine to work on? Some specific questions:

* Is there a repository somewhere of who is working on which map or are they all in threads in this sub-forum?
* I see the land-grab thread for grabbing [Region 1][Map x]. Are there sub-areas in the 600x600 sq. mi. maps that need to be mapped based on what the Map-level mapper put together?
* Can/should there be more settlements than are noted on the Map-level map?
* Can I just say, "Okay, I'm mapping the town of Farpoint in The Beastlands [R1][M12]!" and start a thread on it...assuming there's not one already? Or should I coordinate that with the Map-level mapper?

I'm thinking I'd like to maybe start with a small site of some sort (hamlet/village, ruins, monastery, or something similar) and see how that goes. If that works out I'll do more. I just need to know how to get started and I seem to be being incredibly dense about it for some reason. :) Help?
M

industrygothica
12-01-2009, 01:26 AM
* Is there a repository somewhere of who is working on which map or are they all in threads in this sub-forum?
http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Indexes/CWBP_Index.htm

* I see the land-grab thread for grabbing [Region 1][Map x]. Are there sub-areas in the 600x600 sq. mi. maps that need to be mapped based on what the Map-level mapper put together?

You can map any area in a map that hasn't already been mapped.

* Can/should there be more settlements than are noted on the Map-level map?

You might contact the original mapper, if he's available, to make sure. But as far as I'm concerned, if it makes sense for it to be there, then by all means put it there. I think it's understood that there are smaller towns and villages that wouldn't show up on the big map, so it'd make sense, at least to me. There are also a few areas with intentionally little or no labeling, just for that reason.

* Can I just say, "Okay, I'm mapping the town of Farpoint in The Beastlands [R1][M12]!" and start a thread on it...assuming there's not one already? Or should I coordinate that with the Map-level mapper?

Yes! Coordination is a good idea, but not necessarily required I don't think.

Of course, this is all as I see it now. I'm envisioning the CL's to be holding some supersecret meetings to discuss the future of the project, so that may change a bit in the near future. That probably means a lot more wiki-work for me!

-IG

mearrin69
12-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Thanks for that! I had somehow missed the link to the index. Will go digging to see what's up for grabs.
M

Ascension
12-01-2009, 02:25 AM
I already did Farpoint. The final is on page three of the thread.

industrygothica
04-17-2010, 10:46 AM

So, I've been watching this space for the last 5 months... Looks like the idea has stagnated again. Any progress on the CL end?

-IG

Ascension
04-17-2010, 03:31 PM
We haven't discussed anything as of late...real life is catching up with most of us right now and Arcana is on honeymoon.

ravells
04-17-2010, 06:24 PM
My kind of embryonic idea is that we have some sort of 'living game' tied into the next CWBP project.

industrygothica
04-17-2010, 07:15 PM
My kind of embryonic idea is that we have some sort of 'living game' tied into the next CWBP project.

That'd be cool.

Jaxilon
04-17-2010, 07:52 PM
***** FYI - I am a pretty good brainstormer and think that even if an idea sounds crazy it might trigger a better one in the next person down the line. That said, I may go off here a bit but tis all for the benefit of the project ***

It really does sound interesting. It would take a really good collaboration to pull off. Then again we are talking about us and this is one of the few places that successfully has already done a CWBP and done it very well.

How did you imagine a 'living game' going on?

My first thought was that we'd need a lot more history and faction detail within an area and then we'd need people to represent some of these factions. They would then decide what they wanted to do and we could write the history and map the changes that resulted. This would take some real organization and a few committees to pull off.

A few of these I could forsee (I just made up names so whatever):

The Ancients (Basically they would say what comes into existance) - They who hand out areas to be mapped and make final decisions
Various Governors and Lords: Those who build cities and/or locations within cities or oversee such creations. City Lords I guess.
Adventurer Guild: Those who help determine the direction of the Heroes within the world. Heck if we had any VTT experts we could perhaps RP some of these events.
Historians or Bards: They would write history or events that occurred. Basically the authors to make sense of what happens.

There obviously would be all sorts of offshoots on this and folks could belong to more than one Committee.

I hope you have a simpler idea because to pull of what my first thought was would take a Herculean effort. I think it would be a blast to do but we would really need some good oversight to keep things from unraveling or ending up with two versions of the same story with opposite endings.

So in other words you have a community story complete with world and maps for all things.

Now, even if this seems preposterous to you and is WAY off what you meant, it should be obvious that you fired up a creative flow within at least one person here.

So, what did YOU mean :)

PS. I had to hold myself back because I was in danger of getting on a roll. One of those types of things I am want to do just so I can watch my wife roll her eyes at me, hehe.

Jaxilon
04-19-2010, 01:08 AM
ROFL, sorry for this double post, but I just realized, when I replied to this I thought I was on page one of a new thread not page 3. Please take that into account when you read it so you don't think I'm completely out of my mind, hahah.

industrygothica
04-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Honestly, that all sounds like overkill to me. I've been running a game in the Witchlight Strand for a bit, and just the simple act of running it has given it a life more than what is currently written. I've incorporated another small town and a barbarian region that aren't on the current incarnation of the map, and each of those regions have a history of their own. And I don't think the citizens of Port Magalie will soon be forgetting the day when a burning ship crashed into the docks. Never mind the heroic battle that ensued.

There are other things that I've got in mind as well; things born from the actions of those characters currently in the game. I won't get into detail there, but it is definitely something that could have an impact on the forthcoming history of the region.

In short, history needs to be made before it can be recorded. At least that's my $0.02.

-IG

Jaxilon
04-23-2010, 02:35 PM
You are probably right, I tend to go big and end up with less :)

This would work for you because you are the designer of that section of map but what of others who might play in the Strand? Might they be doing things just the opposite of what you are? Then we would have two different histories. Regular old adventuring would be fine as stories for the backdrop of the map but anything that really shakes things up needs to be controlled or we will have a mess. For instance, kings being overthrown and major political events that contradict one another. At the very least I would think they need to pass "histories" on through you. Some will help some will hinder. Keep the former, chuck the later. I suppose you could toss adventure seeds out there for other gamers to use as a basis for their games and that would probably help keep things in line.

Is building more histories what is meant by making this into a living world or are we wanting more maps showing changes to cities/towns/regions?

Redrobes
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
We talked about this sometime back and I proposed that we all chuck stuff onto a temporary page of things going on and it gets arbitrated down. In a sense the GM does not have that overall mastery of the "official" copy of the world, just his own games version. I think I could spend ages on how we could mitigate it all etc but since we only have one big yellow star on the whole map after a few years, I am rather inclined to wait until this campaign contention is a real problem before we worry about how we can solve it.

We need more people playing in the world first !

industrygothica
04-23-2010, 03:43 PM
You are probably right, I tend to go big and end up with less :)

This would work for you because you are the designer of that section of map but what of others who might play in the Strand? Might they be doing things just the opposite of what you are? Then we would have two different histories. Regular old adventuring would be fine as stories for the backdrop of the map but anything that really shakes things up needs to be controlled or we will have a mess. For instance, kings being overthrown and major political events that contradict one another. At the very least I would think they need to pass "histories" on through you. Some will help some will hinder. Keep the former, chuck the later. I suppose you could toss adventure seeds out there for other gamers to use as a basis for their games and that would probably help keep things in line.

Is building more histories what is meant by making this into a living world or are we wanting more maps showing changes to cities/towns/regions?

I understand what you're saying there, but I think it's something that could be solved as easily as assigning a small (2-3) panel of judges to the project. Simply, adventures would have to be submitted and then approved before becoming canon. If you've ever looked at any of the Living Worlds over at EN World, that's about how they do it, though maybe slightly more overcomplicated.

Regardless, Redrobes is correct in that there should be more people making their impact on the world before any of it is a real issue.

Jaxilon
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree with exactly what you are saying.

industrygothica
05-07-2010, 02:12 PM
We talked about this sometime back and I proposed that we all chuck stuff onto a temporary page of things going on and it gets arbitrated down. In a sense the GM does not have that overall mastery of the "official" copy of the world, just his own games version. I think I could spend ages on how we could mitigate it all etc but since we only have one big yellow star on the whole map after a few years, I am rather inclined to wait until this campaign contention is a real problem before we worry about how we can solve it.

We need more people playing in the world first !

Which may be sooner than we thought, considering the dire state of things in Hania now. Talk about round 1 going to the bad guys!

-IG

Redrobes
05-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah what gives ? A first level party and I get hit with the overlap from two fireball type things for a combined 60 something party damage - tsk. And I roll a 1 on my heal check. If we make it out of this encounter then I may just build a cozy fire, whittle myself a footstool and declare myself retired telling stories of how we scraped through in Hania for the rest of my days !

industrygothica
05-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah what gives ? A first level party and I get hit with the overlap from two fireball type things for a combined 60 something party damage - tsk. And I roll a 1 on my heal check. If we make it out of this encounter then I may just build a cozy fire, whittle myself a footstool and declare myself retired telling stories of how we scraped through in Hania for the rest of my days !

Sometimes that's just the way the dice fall. I opened with the big guns, and every single bad guy hit; I think only two of the good guys hit. I think the following rounds will play out better for you, but Druthruss will still have something to tell his grandchildren about!

-IG

mearrin69
05-07-2010, 07:33 PM
So. You guys can't tease like that. Where's the full session recap? :)
M

industrygothica
05-08-2010, 12:22 AM
So. You guys can't tease like that. Where's the full session recap? :)
M

Heh... I'd love to tell you, but honestly I'm not sure we should be talking about it at all in here because it is so off topic.

Jaxilon
05-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Create an "Adventures in the CWBP" thread :)