PDA

View Full Version : Gervasa

bblackmoor
11-26-2009, 11:49 PM
This is the most recent version of the map for a city I have used in fantasy games since the mid-1990s: Gervasa. This version is done in Photoshop, using techniques inspired by pyrandon (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1150).

I am not happy with it. I like the general style, but the water is a little too brightthe land is too homogeneous, and there is too little contrast between the buildings and the background.

This map is not actually complete: I want to add docks and piers, and other such details. However, I am done enough with it to know that I am dissatisfied, so I do not actually plan to finish this version. I will be drawing a new version once I have decided what I want to do differently.

Ascension
11-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Now that's a city! Holy smokes. The water is easy enough to tweak with some color airbrushing. The land could use some fields and forests. The roofs could use some color variation and that would take some time. I like it and would keep working on it.

PlumCrazy
11-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Absolutely love this.

Steel General
11-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree with the others, so much potential here - don't scrap it yet.

rdanhenry
11-27-2009, 02:19 PM
What do you dislike about it? Maybe somebody else knows of a way to fix it without having to start over. That's a lot of good work there.

Katto
11-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Don't skip it. It looks like you have spent much work to it.
If you want to use it as is, play around with the effects, but not too much. Try to divide the city into districts and add some text.
I would use it as an overall map with a reference to a detailed city part in the same picture (sorry I don't know the correct term).

thebax2k
11-30-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm with Ascension, Steel General and PlumCrazy--that is one nice city. It reminds me of the map for the city of Asylum in the World of Khoras (http://www.khoras.net/Khoras/Civil/Cities/Asylum/City%20Maps/Asylum-Citymap.jpg warning 3 meg download).

I think there is quite a bit of potential with your map. A few observations that might help:

1. Do something with the roads over water to help them look like bridges (could be putting an outline around them, putting little posts on either side, etc.).

2. Clean up some of the artifacts on the map (if you go up the river and look north of the tiny road (the third road across from the south end of the river), there is a thicker road that appears to end in the river).

3. Add a very thick north-south road to the east-west road that runs through the city. Also, try thinning/eliminating out some of the smaller roads (I like the organic curving look that your roads have, but there are some areas, such as in the middle of the map, that appear to have too many roads.)

4. Try experimenting with increasing the building density in the center. I like how the density thins out as you get further from the center of the city, but the way the buildings are laid out on the map, nothing seems to resemble a city block (to see what I mean, take a look at this satellite picture of the old part of Florence--http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.77692,11.264763&spn=0.044001,0.111494&t=h&z=14 or the ancient city of Harar in Ethiopia--http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=9.311028,42.129521&spn=0.030068,0.055747&t=h&z=15).

5. One final tip--where are the markets? A city the size of yours will have at least 2 or 3 markets, with at least one being near the shore for seafood. Although there are open spaces in the city, it is not clear if they are markets or not.

I think your map has a lot of potential, keep refining it and I'm sure it will turn out great.

bblackmoor
12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I figured I would post a few images of the Gervasa map's progress. These are 1/10th the size of the original, and saved at a very low JPG quality. The map is still not complete, but I am much happier with it. I still need to thin out some of the thicker streets, add bridges, docks, piers, and several noteworthy locations such as the palace, the Plaza of Heroes, the Heroes Bazaar, and so on. And I think the river may need to be made wider. I am not yet decided on that.

These are not all of the versions of this city. I have or had older versions which were even more primitive, but I am not motivated enough to dig through my backups and find them.

Anyway, I thought someone might find this interesting.

Ascension
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I like that last one...reminds me of something I tried once but never finished.

ravells
12-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Holy moley, you've taken Pyrandon's technique to a whole new level. This is magnificent.

Steel General
12-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Great stuff here... looking forward to the next update.

Vorhees
12-14-2009, 09:12 AM
sweet work guys , a massive city indeed

jaspertjie
12-19-2009, 05:42 AM
Bjootiful, but you should post a map on which you can every... house.
P.S.: The last two maps look like a nerves system... I like it!

bblackmoor
12-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Bjootiful, but you should post a map on which you can every... house.

Well, at 1 pixel = 1 yard, which is the native resolution, you can theoretically zoom in and see individual buildings, even small ones. However, despite its appearance, the map is more to give a general feel for what the city looks like, rather than an exact literal photo (there are probably terms for these types of maps, but I do not know them).

In reality, there are more buildings than are shown on the map.

bblackmoor
12-29-2009, 12:12 AM
This is the final version of Gervasa, aside from minor tweaking and the addition of the odd label or new building. The attached version is a 20% version. A somewhat less reduced version (1 pixel = 5 ft) is at http://www.warlordsofnum.org/index.php?title=File:Gervasa.jpg

It isn't perfect: far from it. But it is good enough for my purposes. For now.

Ascension
12-29-2009, 01:07 AM
That big one on the link is epic. I can't imagine how much patience that took. Well done.

bblackmoor
12-29-2009, 04:19 PM
I modified the site settings so that I could upload the full-size map (1 pixel = 3 feet).

http://www.warlordsofnum.org/index.php?title=File:Gervasa.jpg

Jaxilon
12-29-2009, 11:32 PM
nice. When I take the last link and then click on the map it gives me a message that it can't be loaded because the map has errors?

*shrug*

Still looks really cool

bblackmoor
12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
When I take the last link and then click on the map it gives me a message that it can't be loaded because the map has errors?

I don't see any errors. Is anyone else having difficulty with the image?

Ascension
12-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Works for me.

Endarguul
12-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Works for me.

for me too. And it is absolutely fantastic, amazing, brilliant. I love the overlapping structures, makes the city feel really crowded.

Steel General
12-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I get the error message when I try to zoom in, might be a browser issue *shrugs* (I only tried Firefox)

Jaxilon
01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah, if you use Firefox it will not load. However, I have the "IE Tab" plugin and when I 'switch rendering engine' and go with IE it loads just fine.

The city is huge looking at it this way!

bblackmoor
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah, if you use Firefox it will not load.

I use Firefox, and it works fine for me.

I do not know what to tell you.

someguy
01-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Wow that city wall is 23 miles long.