PDA

View Full Version : Elosha

Ascension
11-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I started this just to keep in practice but then it morphed into a full-fledged map and the next step in an evolution of style. I'm pretty happy with it and it has become my favorite map...until the next one. The help in the WIP section helped me to polish it off, also pushed me to do more than the initial messin around, so thanks, guys.

Coyotemax
11-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah. That's nice.

I especially like the little Pyramid icon in the desert :)

mearrin69
11-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Holy smokes. That's awesome. The texturing is sublime but the icons and labeling really make it pop for me. Love the map titling as well. Beautiful stuff, as usual.
M

alexandream
11-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Great map!

I can't form an opinion on the mountains, though: At a first glance I don't like the colour variation, even though I'm aware that this is one of the things that makes this interesting style so different... on the other hand, I *love* the height map on those mountains. I've been trying to get a good mountain range for almost two weeks now, and I've yet to see a mountain range bump mapping that is as realistic as this one.

Got any tips on how you came up with those mountains? It looks so nice that I can't help but think they were hand drawn ;)

Summing it up, it's a very nice map, and there you'll have some rep for it :D

Ascension
11-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Well I cover the basics in my atlas tut and continent tut but for the past few months I've been adding an additional step where I draw ridge lines and bevel that. This particular map has a bunch of artistic filters and touches thrown in for good measure, though. The fonts are: Metal Macabre for the title, Sanctuary for the nations, Jellyka End_less Voyage for the towns, and Jellyka Estrya's Handwriting for the forests and things like that. The lil icons I added to my brush thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=90755#post90755).

Steel General
11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
The Ascendant One strikes again! :)

euio
11-28-2009, 10:02 AM
That's such a beautiful style. The text looks amazing. I'm surprised that the mix of satellite & hand-drawn map elements so so good, but it really gives the map something extra above everything else.

I don't really like the mountains, though - while everything else looks crisp, they are fuzzy and hard to discern.

Ramah
11-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Mountains always split opinion it seems. I actually really like the mountains on this one. Your maps have been drifting towards the heavily filtered, even impressionistic style of late, sometimes a little too much so for my taste, but this one walks the line with confidence.
As I said in the WIP, I love the little icons and they really seem to gel with the watercolour filtering.
The colour of the border, the sea, the rhumb lines... all suggest to me some influence from Tear, which is always a good thing in my opinion.
If I have to dig down and find one nitpick then I guess it would be that some of the country labels have parts of their lettering missing which makes them somewhat hard to read, but I suspect this is intentional.

Anyhoos, wonderful map, Ascension. :)

Edit: I'd rep you but I need to share it around some first.

TheRedEpic
11-28-2009, 11:06 AM
This is an excellent map! i love the watercoloresque aspect of it, very interesting, especially with the shadows on the cities and such. A+!

Gandwarf
11-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Very nice. Love the icons. Can't rep unfortunately.

Ascension
11-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I just do it to push myself and hopefully inspire others...when I first joined I was strictly satellite-style, I guess I still am since all of my varied styles start that way. But now I have learned other styles that I would have never even thought about if not for you all...I may not have mastered them but I do like experimenting in my secret cloud-lab ;) I would still be pushing myself for even more photo-realism in my maps if not for the influences that have come to The Guild in my time here, truly outstanding and you all force me to try new things to keep up. There are far too many influences to list you all and what I envy/respect about you, pros to noobs, and I hope that I've done a good job of letting you all know that, too :) You all make me better and I try to return that favor every day. Thanks for the kind words everyone...and the help...and the prodding, despite my kicking and screaming ;)

Keep on inspiring and we'll keep on dreaming.

~A~

cereth
11-28-2009, 04:04 PM
That really came out amazing. Great style overall...very evocative and well executed.

Jaxilon
11-30-2009, 04:16 AM
That is gorgeous!

I love the city icons as well. Lots of great details to look at.

I am new to the tools so find myself getting frustrated at times because i can do so much better freehand.

Such nice work inspires me to get back on that Gimp horse until I get what I want from it.

Thanks for sharing!

Map Vandal
11-30-2009, 05:13 PM
This is my new favorite map at the guild. Thanks for the inspiration!

ravells
11-30-2009, 05:30 PM
It's chocolaty and wonderful, you can almost reach out and touch it and taste it. Fabulous depiction of scale. Ascension ... you always push the boundaries and amaze. Lovely work.

IngIngsvar
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
This is a very beautiful map! Just looking at it fills me with ideas, both map-wise and storyteller-wise.

I am not sure if this was truly done in watercolors, but apart from the interesting metallic-looking words, it looks as if it was a watercolor painting.

Very nice job!

Oscararon
12-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Well, this is one of those maps (mostly yours) that just screams "Look at me!" and well... everything is nice except maybe the mountains, they look a bit flat, although the colouring is nice. ^^

Rajorke
12-31-2009, 01:07 AM
I really like the feel of this map. Is this in a cold region of the world? I get a very northern feeling from it for some reason. I think it's the jagged coastlines most likely. Great work.

paulbhartzog
11-16-2011, 04:21 PM
What is the icon set used on this map? Can we use it?

Nevermind, I found your answer here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8118-Elosha&p=90770&viewfull=1#post90770
which refers to here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?2639-Building-brushes-and-other-stuff/page2&p=90755#post90755