PDA

View Full Version : My First Map

hyperion83
11-29-2009, 02:35 PM
This is my first attempt at mapping, doing a map for a story that I'm thinking on writing. I'm pretty much of a GIMP-newbie but I have had some great help from kjdavies Artistic Regional Map tutorial. However, I'm stuck at the moment. I have been trying several times now to get forests unto the map but everytime I try I fail misserably. I just can't get forest part of the tutorial to work. So I you have any ideas or tips on what to do I would greatly appreaciate them.

/hyperion83

Ascension
11-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I would do for forests what you have for dirt but use a dark green.

Davros01
11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Good start. I would work on the coast a bit. It looks a little too rounded to me.

landorl
11-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Great start, and looking good so far. Make sure that you check out the tutorials on this site because there are a lot of good tuts to help you increase your skills.

I agree with Davros01 about the coastline. I like your mountains, they look good.

hyperion83
12-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Ok I decided to try Ascension's tip about making the forests the same way i did the dirt. So I did that, just added a bit more depth to the bumpmap to get a little more texture to it, and i'm quite pleased with the results. It may not the perfect but I think it will do for my needs. What do you think?

I think you guys might be right about the coast needing some extra tweaking. I will see what I will do about that.

Coyotemax
12-01-2009, 04:15 PM
for what it's worth, those areas look forested to me :) . Coming along nicely!

Ascension
12-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Last thing about the forests, make em a lil bit darker so that they don't blend into the land.