PDA

View Full Version : G'day from downunder...

surfarcher
11-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi all,

Doug from South Australia here.

To be honest I only joined so I could see attachements :D

Been a DM/GM since 1981 but my cartography is... Atrocious. I'm not the artist in the family.

I did a fairly big map for my current campaign setting in AutoREALM which I thought I was happy with... Until the humbling experience of seeing what the regulars on this forum have produced!

No stranger to GIMP but hardly up to the standards I have seen here (far, far from it).

Now I'll probably fade back to lurkerdom :P

Cheers!

Gandwarf
11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Well... thanks for introducing anyway :P

Juggernaut1981
11-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Surfarcher> Nice to see another Aussie in here.

surfarcher
11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Well I might post a little... Just a bit intimidated by the sheer weight of talent around here so don't expect to see any of my mapwork in the near future.

On the other hand if there's anything I can do to help folks out please do ask! I'm always glad to help.

For now I'm printing out and working through the PDFs form the "Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map" thread :P

(And thanks Juggernaut1981, likewise)

Gidde
11-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Welcome :) Enjoy working through the tutorials, and I think you'll be amazed at how quickly your work improves.

rdanhenry
11-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Go ahead and show us your campaign map. You could get some tips on how to improve it.

ravells
11-30-2009, 04:23 AM
Welcome to the Guild. Drawing good maps doesn't really need much artistic talent at all, particurly if you're going for a 'satellite style. You should have a go at some of the tutorials, you might even surprise yourself!

Steel General
11-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Welcome Aboard!

surfarcher
11-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Well the nice welcomes are encouraging! Thank you all!

I might post my current campaign map... But only once I've redone it as per some of the tutorials... Like a before and after thing ;)

I'm certainly learning a lot here.

I've come across a possible hitch with roads that I posted in "General and Miscellaneous Mapping" under "Road structure and representation..." so all thoughts appreciated!

Ramah
11-30-2009, 06:20 PM
If the welcomes are encouraging then have another one...

Welcome to the guild. :)

I look forward to seeing your campaign map.

Vorhees
12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Hiya mate , im another South Aussie.

i too joined because of my RPG games but soon got inspired by these guys here and now im learning heaps and it helps with my own worlds

i recommend checking the Tutorials out they are excellent and the guys here are helpful.

:)

Jaxilon
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Welcome and if you feel you are not artistic you might look at it from more of a Brainstorming session - You don't have to be the artist to give an artist a brand new idea they never thought of.

To be honest this site has turned into a bit of a muse for me. I haven't been working on my art or my campaign world for years...now I'm fired up! Come on in and join the insanity!

surfarcher
12-01-2009, 09:37 PM
And the friendly welcomes continue - thanks again all!

Ramah,
Cheers and you will once I get it sorted :P Having varying luck with the different coastlines techniques and finding I am happiest with pasting togethor bits and peices from several attemtps at each - overall I'm happy with that :D

Vorhees,
Always good to see another sozzie RPGer! And you are right! Helpful, friendly and plenty of reference material and offers of help :)

Jaxilon,
Well I'm no artist but I am good enough with computers to make a long career of playing with them. I've also used GIMP a fair bit. So I can plod along and I expect to end up with something I'm happy with... Hopefully you are patient enough to wait and PEACH it :P

Cheers!

NeonKnight
12-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the Guild!