PDA

View Full Version : I could be ruined

Jaxilon
11-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Ok, as I mentioned I'm new to the whole digital artwork thing but I think you guys may have ruined me :o

Today I'm driving down the road when I look at the sky and think, "that's a Guassian Blur". Good thing my wife was ignoring me or she might have thought I was nuts. LOL

Later I was watching a movie with my wife and there was a top down scene with a boat on the ocean and I excitedly said, "Hey, I can make that look with 'Render>Clouds>Solid Noise'.

I'm sure soon I will be looking at everyday things and trying to figure out how to reproduce them. Does this happen to anyone else?

Is it too late to switch pills so I can go back or is it over for me?

Ahhhhhhh!!

NeonKnight
11-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Nah, a lot of us think similar things

Coyotemax
11-30-2009, 03:37 AM
Welcome to my world. My wife hates watching movies with me when they include cgi effects (which is almost all of them these days, lol)

ravells
11-30-2009, 04:49 AM
It gets worse if you start to do 3d modelling. You are constantly looking at everyday objects, wondering how to bevel them properly, unwrap them, texture them etc.

Ascension
11-30-2009, 07:25 AM
You start looking at everything that way...everyday things that you'd never think about otherwise. You look at something and instantly know how to reproduce it, in theory. Then you start taking pictures of sand and concrete cracks and tree bark thinking to yourself, these are going to make some nice textures, but everyone else thinks your nuts.

Steel General
11-30-2009, 08:14 AM
You're absolutely crazy!!! :D Just kidding!

Sigurd
11-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Remember:

"You're so beautifully rendered!" is not a compliment women understand. Its worse if they make a lot of gravy.

SIgurd

torstan
11-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks Sigurd, that made me laugh over my morning coffee. Definitely a good way to start a Monday :)

I got some odd looks photographing a nice piece of irnonwork the other day because I thought it would make a good border. On the other hand, it was quite late, and the ironwork was the front doors of a bank so maybe it did look a little odd....

Don't worry, you're in good company. (well, company at least :) )

Redrobes
11-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Ahhh his first taste of poindexdrous. My condolences to your wife. But don't worry, after a while - could be quite a long while - your wife will start, slowly at first, but more forthright as time goes on, assert that those clouds are actually more like bits of the Mandelbrot and that if only you would buy her a PC with 64 bit multi core she raster them out in terragen in a sensible amount of time to prove it. Because geekdom is notoriously virulent.

ravells
11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
When my wife couldn't use the computer because Bryce had a 2 day render to perform, I just used to get, 'Not another bloody render.'

@Sigurd....brilliant...that's just how it is.

@Torstan...the police are now stopping people who take photos of sunsets (http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/30/bbc-photographer-pre.html) in London (terrorism). It's quite mad.

Coyotemax
11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
My wife is up to the stage where she will point out nice textures to take pictures of :)

Turgenev
11-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Then you start taking pictures of sand and concrete cracks and tree bark thinking to yourself, these are going to make some nice textures, but everyone else thinks your nuts.
LOL! I do that all the time. When I'm downtown (Toronto), tourists will be walking around talking pictures of the buildings and various locations and there is me with my camera taking pictures of the sidewalk, the grass, the brick work on a building, the various stone work, etc. for the textures. I've gotten a few weird stares as people stand back to get a picture of a building and I walk up close and take a picture of a blank wall. :lol:

While I don't spend too much time thinking how could I reproduce an effect I see in the real world, I do draw a lot of my inspiration from the world around me. I can look at the cracks in the pavement and suddenly think 'hey they would make a good cavern map.' Or look at a light fixture and think it would make a cool dungeon design. That sort of thing. ;)

Ascension
11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
I see faces...everywhere. My linoleum floor in the bathroom, the marble in the shower, my wooden work table...everywhere. I keep telling myself that I need to draw them but I never see them twice. That wrought iron is a great tip...I use that stuff a lot for inspiration in my glass work.

Redrobes
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM
After smirking at these comments I get a demand from my wife for whats all the fuss so I had to read some out. She demands that I point out that she painted some textures for my maps & stuff... oh and fetches good pot plants in garden centers for me to get top down shots of... and she has more OS maps than I do - at the 25K scale too I am reminded...

Personally I think she got a gold star when I heard "Why the hell does flash 10 never work properly on Ubuntu".

Ahhh 8)

Turgenev
11-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I see faces...everywhere. My linoleum floor in the bathroom, the marble in the shower, my wooden work table...everywhere. I keep telling myself that I need to draw them but I never see them twice. That wrought iron is a great tip...I use that stuff a lot for inspiration in my glass work.
I do the exact same thing. Pareidolia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia) is a wonderful thing. :lol:

Jaxilon
11-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh man, you guys have me rolling.

good pot plants in garden centers for me to get top down shots of...

What an awesome idea. I am so going out to my wife's garden and getting some shots...I just better not step on anything or you guys might not hear from me again :)

Steel General
12-01-2009, 08:07 AM
I see faces...everywhere.

I think they have medicine for this... :D

Locution
12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I have to comment here though I am new enough to not have many of these "problems" yet. I just got off a 16 hour shift and this thread has me laughing so hard my sides hurt. Man, this community is awesome!

mearrin69
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
... oh and fetches good pot plants in garden centers for me to get top down shots of...

Surely you mean "potted" :P

Yeah, I have the same bug as you guys.
M

Redrobes
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
LOL yeah potted - our garden centers would be packed out with visitors and all the plants would be stripped bare to twigs.

I shall get back to watching the snow pitch, smoothing my cat, taking my daps off and tending to my scraged knee etc etc... :twisted:

Juggernaut1981
12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Oh man, you guys have me rolling.

What an awesome idea. I am so going out to my wife's garden and getting some shots...I just better not step on anything or you guys might not hear from me again :)

Dude,
You should try being a mathematician or chemist (my two majors in my Uni Degree). You go past and try to resist the urge to correct every half-assed statement involving an equation or a chemical reaction. Luckily my wife is a mathematics teacher, so I can not feel alone in the world when I'm saying "You know those cables form a caternary... the equations for that thing are coool." or "You use this equation from [insert nerd here] and they got transformed by [insert nerd here] to finally become [insert thing most people know]..."

Like the cables forming a caternary, which is not a parabola, which were most elegantly determined using the Lagrangian formula which was then applied in specific examples by Hamilton to form a new version of energy-based physics of small particles (as opposed to Newtonian-force-based physics) which later became the basis for Schrodinger's work on Quantum Physics and the atomic bomb. I mean how cool is that?!?!?!?!

*Wanders off to chalk-board ready to write equations and discuss other cool things from Lagrangian Dynamics*