PDA

View Full Version : The Donate Button

ravells
12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
As the Guild grows and as it's so clear that so many people are getting a lot of pleasure out of it, you might want to look at the blue 'donate' button at the top of screen.

The Guild is funded by Arcana out of his own pocket and it's free for all of us. Everyone here (and we're very proud of it) contributes to the making of better maps.

Arcana is probably too modest to ask, so I will. If you donate to the Guild, you will help with its running costs, which will help to make the site better....and you get a cool neon green 'Gracious Donor' badge (see left).

What could be better than that?

Please donate if you can.

Ramah
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I would LOVE to do this, believe me. I really love this forum and I've gotten a lot of pleasure and knowledge through being here but at the moment I am out of work so money is tight.
I'd already decided that as soon as I get a new job I will donate. Or if I ever manage to get a paid commission through here then I would do the same.

It's a source of embarrassment to me that I'm here so often but don't have one of those little green labels under my name. :(

ravells
12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Don't be embarassed. This is very much an 'if you can please do', request.

Redrobes
12-01-2009, 07:14 PM
I was glad to donate especially since I globally block ad's. But what I did was take on a commission and donate a chunk of that to the guild. I took the rest and distributed it amongst a number of sites that I thought deserved a bung.

So if your low on work and high on spare time then see if you can get a little map work to pay the way ! We haven't had many commission requests of late tho.

NeonKnight
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I have gladly donated to Arcana's little site (our home), because thanx to this site I have probably made a few hundred dollars from various projects I would never have known about if not for this site!

mearrin69
12-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Yep. I'm in. Been meaning to contribute. Thanks for posting this reminder!
M

Coyotemax
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Now that I have my tablet, my plan is to donate a part of every paid venture to the site (since I get paid in paypal, makes it easy, too!)

Steel General
12-02-2009, 06:21 AM
I've been meaning to do this for a while, but something always seems to come up. Maybe after the holidays when I have more "available cash".

Chaplaindm
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't mean to sidetrack this thread but are people actually looking for commisions on this site? I have tried to hire artists in the past and have NEVER had any success. I would be happier to hire artists but it is just too much trouble for nothing.

To stay on track... if I get a good response on this thread (within 30 minutes) I will donate! It is 4:35 PM Eastern time!

Ascension
12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
While I didn't make the time-frame...yes there are plenty of us here who do commission work and with new people joining everyday and learning new things all of the time there are more and more who are looking. By nature many are shy or do things behind doors (emails and whatnot) but there are many of us who are actually kind of bogged down or booked up for a while...so we don't take more than we can chew.

Chaplaindm
12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Wow, I never thought you would make the time limit but it is only 4:47 my time! So I just went and paid up!

Thanks for the clarification... I may try to find an artist here!

Chaplain

Redrobes
12-02-2009, 07:24 PM
For me I sometimes do the big terrain type maps but also I can be busy with various things - often not mapping related. So yeah, put up a commission request in the appropriate forum topic and see what happens. Torstan has done quite a lot of work as has Gamerprinter, some folks do bits n pieces now and again when it suits there forte and style.

RobA
12-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Chaplaindm -

I have never seen a paid map request go unanswered in the map request forum. And I have not heard of an unsatisfied requestor, either.

There are a few professionals here but there are many more skilled hobbyists who are happy to get a bit of scratch in exchange for doing something the like to do.

-Rob A>

Chaplaindm
12-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks, I am really impressed by the professionalism on the forum. It seems like there are some really great people.

Chaplain

Robbie
12-05-2009, 09:10 AM
The people here are what makes this place so incredible. Thanks for posting this Ravells. You're right, I'm not going to beg for it, I'm pretty humble about things when it comes to this site really. I'm VERY thankful for every single dollar thats donated to help keep the site running. Times are hard these days for all of us I think, and its good to see that you all are interested in keeping this site from being a financial problem. I have good hosting at a good price, and the software costs money to maintain, but the fact that I don't have to worry about being able to pay my hosting costs means a lot to me. (The hosting costs come right out of paypal automatically).

Again, thank you all sooooo much for your donations, and happy holidays to you all as well.

DevinNight
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Is the donate button gone? Did it not survive the transition or am I missing it someplace?

Coyotemax
03-22-2010, 11:05 PM
I've not seen it either. I've been relying on the manual donation system until I see it come back :)

DevinNight
03-22-2010, 11:12 PM
how do I do the whole manual thing?

Coyotemax
03-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Erk, sorry :)

Basically you can make a paypal payment to a paypal account holder (whether or not you have an account of your own - you can use credit cards).

If you go to www.paypal.com and go to the "send money" link (which is here: https://cms.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_ca/send_money ) you can choose to send money to an email address. For Cartographer's Guild, that email address is cartographer <at> cartographersguild <dot> com (just be sure to put something in the note to say who you are on the site, heh)

If you have a paypal account of your own it's similar and easier.

RobA
03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
I had posted it in the upgrade thread...Coyotemax is correct.

...paypal donations can always be sent to "cartographer (at) cartographersguild (full stop) com" (you know the routine at with @ and full stop with .)

-Rob A>