PDA

View Full Version : Island Map

Vorhees
12-04-2009, 05:05 AM
hi all , so ive had GIMP for a little over a week now with some promising steps

i have started this island now so thought i would post to get opinions, all welcome. at this stage im still doing the ocean. i had problems with getting the Sea plates to show as you can see. any help appreciated.

so here it is , let me no your thoughts guys

Janherbergh
12-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I see it well and I like the island shape. Maybe the problem with the sea plates is that they are too much blurred. I'm a begginer myself, but maybe you could use some brushes to gain more gradients, texture and so. I like to make the plates quite irregular, like the continental shapes, as they are, essentially, the same thing.

Keep working and posting :D

Vorhees
12-04-2009, 11:11 AM
ok i have played some more any thoughts on this one :)

rdanhenry
12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
That's better, IMO. It is an unusual look, but if the ocean there has a white sandy bottom, I'd say it was just about perfect.

Vorhees
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
ok i have now attempted my first Mountains and Forest. the Island is not ment to be to large but dominated by the Mountains , i am thinking of making the inner part a Basin and have a lake in it, not sure if that works. i may have gotten carried away with the mountains too.

Let me no what you think good or bad as this is my first regional type map

Thanks Guys

Juggernaut1981
12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I'd suggest that having a basin is fine and dandy, just have a lot of streams/creeks running into it and a single large outlet heading through the plains bit and out to the West.

Maybe some greater differentiation between 'mountain' and forest, but nothing huge is springing to mind other than maybe a colour-shift for the mountainous areas.

Vorhees
12-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Ok here is the Final Product of my first map in Gimp.

Any Advise for Future Projects guys , Good or bad :)

I am not sure if the rivers work? i wanted multiple run downs from the mountain to the basin then one to the sea , i ask the river police if this works?

thanks

Ascension
12-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Rivers are logical and the colors are quite nice.

Juggernaut1981
12-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Just putting on my Pirate Hat. If I'm a Pirate and that river is deep enough for me to get a ship up, I am SO putting my base next to that Basin. Talk about easily defensible! Natural wall on most sides, tiny river I can defend with at most 2 or 3 towers hidden in the trees... Easy farmlands for any community around the colony...

Yo ho ho a pirate's life for me!