PDA

View Full Version : My new world map

industrygothica
12-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I need to start another map like I need hole in my head, but after seeing Tear's recent work I was feeling inspired.

I started playing around with this and I sort of like where it is going, so I think I'll keep working on it. I was amazed at the speed in which this was done. This little bit took about 20 minutes, I think. I'm not sure about the mountain placement though, so any input there would be great.

-IG

industrygothica
12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Now I can't quit working on it...

Steel General
12-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Looks good so far.

Katto
12-04-2009, 04:40 PM
I like the shape very much, but in my opinion the rivers are too long. We have a proverb in germany that says "Wasser sucht sich den kürzesten Weg." roughly translated "water seeks the shortest way itself".

Ascension
12-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Good grungy-lookin touches, nice colors, good shapes = good job, bro.

PokealypseNow
12-04-2009, 07:08 PM
I really like the textures! Mind sharing how you did the mountains and forests?

industrygothica
12-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I really like the textures! Mind sharing how you did the mountains and forests?

I used Soixante's mountain brushes that can be found here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=50272&postcount=11). After I got the peaks where I wanted them I made a separate layer underneath that and used a piece Pasis’s tutorial from here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405). I only used the base mountain layer section.

The forest was just one of the default speckle type brushes in photoshop (I'm sure there's a proper name for them, but it's not coming to me at the moment). I widened the spread, and cranked up the size and angle jitters, then played with the bevel and opacity until I got something I liked. I can get you the exact setting if you'd like.

Hope that helps!

-IG

Gary N. Mengle
12-05-2009, 04:32 AM
This looks very sharp. Can't wait to see the next iteration!

Vorhees
12-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Very nice i like this alot, love the softer pastel colors

industrygothica
12-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Not much to this update, really. I'm taking the labeling slow while I think of area names that I really like, rather than just throwing something down to fill up space. I figure since this one's not in a competition, I've got the time.

C&C appreciated...

-IG

industrygothica
12-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I added a few more labels... still not finished there.

I also added a soft glow around the land areas and darkened the vignetting a bit. Can't decide if I like the light or the dark better. Any ideas?

-IG

Ascension
12-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Maybe turn down the opacity just a tad...you probably already tried that, though. Maybe instead of the vignette creeping in so far what if you just added some rips, folds, or misc grunge in those areas? Kinda stumped.

CartoGeo
12-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I like the map, believe the color scheme fits true to the textures and overall saturation of your map. Would you mind typing up steps you took and providing the textures on the messageboard for all to experiment with?

industrygothica
12-11-2009, 12:30 AM
I like the map, believe the color scheme fits true to the textures and overall saturation of your map. Would you mind typing up steps you took and providing the textures on the messageboard for all to experiment with?

I didn't really use any textures, per sey. If you look in post 7 of this thread I provided links to the mountain brushes that I used. If you look in this post (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1693&highlight=overwatch) you'll find the brushes that I used to get the colors for the water and land mass.

I suppose when I'm finished with it I can try and see if I cant recreate it and do up a tutorial, though there are plenty better ones around.

Thanks for the comments though, I appreciate it.

-IG

Jaxilon
12-11-2009, 02:00 AM
It looks great. I like the shapes and the color scheme you have going.

industrygothica
01-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Here's some modified labeling. Not sure how much has changed since it's been a while since I updated it (probably should've checked the last version first). I'm change it up a bit more here and there as I add more so that things will fit properly.

If I get the energy, I might use this map as a seed for January's monthly challenge, and map one of the regions therein.

-IG

nichollsr
01-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I really like the map and especially the compass rose. Might have to try making one of those myself at some point !

Have some rep !