PDA

View Full Version : [taken][unpaid]Working of first Fantasy novel, would apreciate help

cag123
12-07-2009, 05:23 AM
So I have been working on this fantasy novel and have some very rough ideas layed out. I realize this is bad and not detailed very well but here is the idea...

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/cag123/?action=view&current=Myland.jpg

I need it to be about 120 miles per inch if any one accepts. With a over all size as 3700 miles across and 1440 miles tall. No time frame, take as long as you need.

I would really appreciate any help and would be glad to do anything you request but I am afraid I cannot pay. Bit strapped for cash as everyone is at the moment. Take any liberties to improve upon it, but I ask to keep the basics the same such as locations, and such.

I need it to be kind of a classical style with the Lord of the Rings movie maps as inspiration if possible.

All rights would remain with the artist, all I ask is that you allow me to use it in my book, and any sequels I use which will all give complete recognition as you as the author of the map.

If you feel like accepting, but need further detail I would be happy to let you know, if you would like to know about the novel, ask and I will give you the prologue and chapter one, which are completed already. Thanks so much for anyone who gives this a second thought...hope I can work with one of you in making this map.

cag123
12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Bit more detail -

I would like any quality you have as I am not able to pay you for it. Beggars can not be choosers after all.

The world I'm planning is earth sized, and this is the eastern sphere basically, while the Western sphere might be used later, in which case I would love to work with whoever does this one again!

Take any liberties needed, to make it look more like a map of a real land, add or take as much as needed as long as my city layout stays the same.

I don't know if I'm doing this right, and I wish I could offer money for a map, but I just cant right now. I would appreciate any help you can give and would be glad to mark you on the book as illustrator and if it gets published, which is the hopeful plan, full credit would be given to you, and I would be glad to pay you some of the money if it makes any.

The story is about a world created by the Christian God, after Earth failed. Its set in an ancient setting and is much like Lord of the Rings in theory. There are two wizards, one sent by God to protect the land from invaders, but he became corrupted by his own self love and greed and used his powers to attempt to become ruler. The second was sent down to stop him. He enlists the aid of a young man and together they are to gather rebellious soldiers and reclaim Lamerith and the land around it.

cag123
12-07-2009, 09:12 AM
dark red = country
red = city
Grey = Mountain
All blues = lakes, rivers, oceans
Green - uncharted, unimportant

ravells
12-07-2009, 09:25 AM
I''m a bit short of time and snowed under at the moment, but most requests (paid and unpaid) do get taken eventually. The more information you can give and the more you can enthuse potential mapmakers into your project definitely helps your chances! Check out some of the other taken unpaid requests.

good luck on your quest for a mapmaker

cag123
12-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Lol, thanks I was wondering how much more detail I should put...

ravells
12-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Not sure if you already have, but check out the 'Read Me' sticky (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2569) at the top of this section.

cheers

cag123
12-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Lol, yes I have, the only thing I see that I didnt do is add this...

I would like it to be presented in this style if possible -

cag123
12-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Okay, for those interested in the story behind the map, here is the prologue and chapter one of the novel...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/23564666/Prologue
http://www.scribd.com/doc/23779587/Chapter-One

ravells
12-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I would definitely ask Tear, it's his map and style and from what I can see he's perfected the art of making the map quickly. He only very recently filled another request (I think unpaid) in record time (and made us all feel very inadequate!! ;) )

I think he said that he was going on hols for a bit, so you may want to wait until he gets back unless you're in a desperate rush! Having said that he's posted a tutorial of his technique in the Tutorial site, so you might want to give it a go yourself!

:: Edit :: Tell you what I'm having photoshop CS4 delivered tomorrow and I'd love to give his tutorial a whirl. I can't promise you a quick turnaround but I'm happy to use your map as the guinea pig for my test of Tear's tutorial. How's that?

Best

Ravs

cag123
12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Yes, that is the pic I posted actually. ;)

I will look for his Tut. and thanks for bringing it up.

ravells
12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Fast reply, see my edit to the post above. If you have photoshop, then I really recommend you do his tutorial as you will then get the map exactly how you want.

cag123
12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Sure though, I would be glad to be your "guinea pig" for his Tut. Lol, I will try it out too though, but yours will prolly be better, as I am not very good with design and stuff... Thanks!

RobA
12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
I need it to be about 120 miles per inch if any one accepts. With a over all size as 3700 miles across and 1440 miles tall.

Is that really the size you need (poster)?

That would be a 31x12" map. Depending on the resolution (200DPI minimum for print) that is a 6200x2400 image, which is fairly large.

If for a book, I would think page size might be better. The only reason I point this out is because things like labels that look good at one scale may be unreadable at a different scale.

-Rob A>

cag123
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Of course, you are right. Perhaps any one wishing to make this map should change the mile per inch, as I was not good at adding it up, and only used the numbers in my head. You are the map makers...make it the size you feel fits best.

ravells
12-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Hi Cag, I've taken a look at the sketch you have posted in the original post and am a little confused. Am I right in thinking that Galtilth and Palamoor, Magna, Arnakoi Ailforth and Narsik are cities? If so then the sketch encompasses quite a small geographical area, but you are after a map of the entire world?

If you could give me a more detailed explanation of the scale then that would be appreciated.

cag123
12-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, Its more like half the world. Yes, they are cities though...

How to explain this.....I probably did a horrible job on the sketch, the scale is all screwed up. At a rough estimate, I would say 2 cm, should be 50 miles, or 10 cm 250 miles with a total width of 5750 miles. I hate to say it, but I have no idea how to explain this, and to be honest while it may sound harder, it would probably be easier for you to space it out as needed. For sure though, I would like these kinds of distances.
Sorry...

ravells
12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
This might be easier if I did a sketch of what I think you're after so that we're clear before I start doing the work in ernest.

Might be a day or so...watch this space.

cag123
12-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Cool, no problem. Thanks for doing this so much though.

ravells
12-13-2009, 10:11 AM
We have a little difficulty here:

Your reference pic is supposed to be about 2,800 miles across. If you look at the first image, you can see the consequences of this are that your large cities are about 90,000 square miles in area. It may be easier if you approach from the point of view of some typical distances:

Metropolitan New York is about 3,000 square miles (i.e. about 54 miles by 54 miles). This makes your largest cities the equivalent of 30 New Yorks.

I think it may be easier if you didn't get hung up on the scale without some form of reference. Try this:

Go to Google Earth and take a screenshot of an area. Note the scale. You now have a fairly good idea of what you can see and can't see at that scale. For example if you want to fit the entire world onto your computer screen, the cities are going to be the size of dots.

Have a look at the second image I've posted. I've shrunk your reference pic to a length of about 560 miles.

What you might want to do is to go onto google and download a map of the US (I'm assuming you're from the US) and use that as a template so you have a rough idea about how big stuff is.

Cheers,

Ravs

cag123
12-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Okay, I should have been more clear on this, the dark red line represents a country or kingdom, while the light red means a city.

As for the problem you mentioned, let me just give you an idea of how big things should be and such...

Mount Gibs, should be 150 miles from the black lake. Palamoore should be about 20 miles from the lake. Does that give you a better idea of what the scale should be?

Problems do arise on how much you can see in the scale, perhaps just make the cities smaller, and then I can add smaller towns throughout the map later on by myself?

ravells
12-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that if you want a map drawn which is 5,700 mile across, what you're going to end up with is a tiny bit of it (and I mean tiny) showing what you've sketched and the rest all empty. So if you're happy for me to make up the vast majority of the map, I'll gladly do it, but I'm just a bit concerned that it might not fit in to your novel.

What I don't have the time to do is to iterate the map many times if the bits I draw outside your sketch don't match up to what you want. If you'd like me to do the map for you (and I'd be delighted to) then I'll need much more detail on what the rest of the world looks like.

best

Ravs

cag123
12-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I would be happy to help you if you think that is the best route, but no I dont think it should be that big either. Perhaps 1000 miles would be a better idea, that way the current sketch doesn't end up to small. But, I would not mind at all if you design more than what I have, as it would work nicely in sequels. ;)

Thanks again by the way. Sorry, but I feel I cant say it enough.

ravells
12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Cool! Let me have another go. At 1,000 miles the cities are still going to be dots or if we're being figurative pictures of little cities.

cag123
12-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Lol, if you want to, I give you complete creative control on what size it should be, because I dont know what Im talking about, and you do. :)

ravells
12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
If you think it would help you could email me the prologue and chapter 1 of your story (the links in your original post say the files have been deleted).

cheers

Ravs

cag123
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I sent you a pm. :)

ravells
12-28-2009, 08:39 AM
How is this?

Steel General
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
That looks quite nice Ravs!

Gandwarf
12-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Beautiful, I think!

Ascension
12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
I might lighten the trees a little bit but looks pretty good, bro.

ravells
12-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Cheers guys. It's been a while since I've picked up a stylus! The only 'new' thing for me, mapping wise, were the fields. The commissioner wanted lots and lots of fields.

Flood filled the layer with white and used a pattern layerstyle of tiling fields at a very small scale and then applied an all black 'hide' layer mask. Chose a small, hard white square brush with lots of rotation and scatter and painted in the fields. A stroke layerstyle to give them a bit of outline completed it. I'm quite happy with the effect.

cag123
12-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Wow. I can honestly say I'm speechless. Its awesome Ravs, and you did a great job sticking to what I said considering I had no idea what I was saying. Lol. I really don't know how I can thank you enough...sorry I cant pay you for it because it really is amazing. Not what I expected but exactly what I needed. Thanks man.

P.s. Thanks for putting up with my ineptness with maps too.

ravells
12-28-2009, 06:47 PM
My pleasure. If you want to label the remaining habitations, the font is Caledra. Just import the picture into MS paint and put the labels on top.

Cheers

Ravs

cag123
12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Lol, cool. Thats a good idea too, thanks.

ravells
12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
p.s. - Good luck with your story!

cag123
12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Lol, thanks. Its 10x better now since I began rewriting it, and I have a good feeling about it.