PDA

View Full Version : Big WIP Project - Neoseilthir

Juggernaut1981
12-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Hello All,
For those of you who have poked around in my email signature, I have been working on a D&D-style game system for around 18 months. The current version is around 140,000 words, and still a lot more to do. But, I've decided that I should start work on the basic setting (which would be separate to the rules books because I kind of dislike the "default world" concepts).

Anyway, this is based on stuff I started writing YEARS ago as a complex CS for an ongoing D&D campaign. As you can tell, I don't think in small pictures.

Here is the major landmass. There are 3 more to come and if I'm unhappy with this one, I'll continue to poke at it.

If you're curious, read the rules book in my Lulu store through my signature. It's a free download because it's not finished.

LonewandererD
12-08-2009, 03:22 AM
It's probably just because I've been watching too much questionable TV but your map seems a bit like a double entendre. All in seriousness the landscape seems a little unnatural but still would like to see how this turns out.

-D-

su_liam
12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
In the right mind, every map is a double entendre. I have one of those minds...

Juggernaut1981
12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
LoneWanderer> There are 3 more land-masses to include. Also, in the "way back times" long before people bothered making maps and hidden in the fine print of the author's notes and unlikely to appear in the printed final version... the lower landmass was basically formed from upward magma pressure. Geotechnical bits and pieces resulted in what was effectively a balloon of magma that exploded spraying crap north-west forming a peninsula and leaving behind a nice crater-basin type geography that has since eroded.

SuLiam> Clearly you do. To me it sometimes appears to be a cobra sliding over a log.

Juggernaut1981
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Changes:

Added in the other major landmasses
Edited coasts
Added in small islands and "peninsulas"
Edited out numerous "lakes"

Next changes:

Add in better lake systems, particularly in the major central two landmasses.

Juggernaut1981
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I have put the method for inserting the islands into a GIMP Mini-Tute. Seemed like something other people could use.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8251

Ramah
12-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Hmm, well I guess you know what you are talking about with the way the land was formed etc... but it just looks pretty artificial to me. Too rounded and not enough variation in the coastline.

But I am sure you'll pull it off. Looking forward to seeing this progress and find out what you have in store for it. :)

Juggernaut1981
12-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Ramah, I was getting a bit upset with the number of lakes I was getting using RobA's Tutorial for coastlines. So maybe I should go in an really poke about with it some more, but atm, it's still very much WIP.

Ascension
12-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I always get lakes around my coasts as well so I just manually paint over them.

Juggernaut1981
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Ascension> I was getting several thousand ****ant lakes in random locations. It kind of went from "indistinct blob" to "swiss cheese" in about 2 points on the Threshold slider.

Steel General
12-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Ascension> I was getting several thousand ****ant lakes in random locations. It kind of went from "indistinct blob" to "swiss cheese" in about 2 points on the Threshold slider.

That happens with me as well, you just have to find the 'happy medium' (if you can). :)

Juggernaut1981
12-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Well I think I will leave the outlines of the landmasses here.
Feel free to lob C&C at this some more, but I think the bulk of the land will stay as it is.

Juggernaut1981
12-13-2009, 08:07 PM
It seems that GIMPs Path Generator has had some kind of fit, or (wait for it....)

a stroke!

Seriously though.... HELP?

Ascension
12-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Interesting. I'll be eager to see how this develops :lol: Kidding. That is way weird.

Juggernaut1981
12-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Okay, so I kinda did the dodgey on this after my EPIC Path Explosion. I suspect it had to do with the selection, since I didn't go over the whole coastline with a fine tooth comb. Anyway, dodgeyed it up by tracing over a few sections, then selecting the line for the path, expanding the selection by 2px then stroking the line. Worked, sorta dodgeyed it. Deleted the original path, created a new one after I touched up the line it left a bit.

Anyway, stuck in a nice yellow-ish background, then shoved in some mountains (Mustard), rivers (blue), political boundaries (red) and who-owns-what (text). C&C people.

Juggernaut1981
01-05-2010, 12:59 AM
After having that annual interruption called Christmas, got a chance to do some work at the desk... will try get more done on public transport this afternoon.

Juggernaut1981
01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Here is the next stage. The major thing was the addition of the Cartouche. I've also decided that my "cartographer" is using blue-black ink.

I'll attach a pallette up for C&C, just to see what people think about the potential colour combinations. I'm not sure yet what colours I will use in what way, but yeah... toss it out there, see how it goes.

Ascension
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
The colors seem very vivid and bright. Not sure how they're going to be used or what the look is going to be so that might be what you want.

Steel General
01-06-2010, 06:55 AM
You may want to check out this site (http://colorschemedesigner.com/#) - it may or may not help you nail down your palette.

Juggernaut1981
01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
As usual the General seems to command much more than the randomness of his avatar... :P

Juggernaut1981
01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Here's the next installment. Begun the next major phase: Mountains. I was inspired to, and decided to, do every last sucker the old school way: drawn them in by hand. I'm getting better at "draw by mouse" when I can't use my tablet PC.

Here is the first of the major mountain ranges done (at least for me since there was a campaign that happened all around this mountain range). I present to you the first sketchings of the Dragon's Back Mountains.

Humans keep on calling it the Dragon's Back Mountains because it reminds them of a dragon's body. Dwarves use the name because they swear there are the petrified bones of a spectacularly large dragon encased under the stone. Is that the real reason? Doesn't matter... :P (and I'm not going to tell).

Juggernaut1981
01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Update: Worked more on the mountains & hills. Drew in some rivers. Tossed in some of the empire names. Decided that Caslon will be the Font of Empires. I'm not sure what other fonts I might want to use for other landforms... but that's a road to cross later.

Juggernaut1981
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Drafted up the mountains on Skyreach Island. Doing maybe 100 mountains and a bunch of hills has certainly improved my speed... Also decided that Dominican will be used to name land-features and I'm trying to use a colour that will appear somewhere near Vermillion, rather than a Cardinal Red. If it doesn't look like that on your machine, please send me the colour code that you understand is closer to Vermillion. (Red Green Blue + Saturation/Value is best for me atm...)

As usual people, C&C. Comment if you like it, hate it, think I should include more diseased leprechauns...

Ascension
01-10-2010, 06:57 PM
The only thing really grabbing me at the moment is the mountain shape-line. I know you're doing it with a mouse and so the line stays one size but if there is a Smudge tool in gimp I would grab the end of each little line and smudge it out a bit. The way that smudge works in PS is that it also tapers the line creating a faded point. This is how I always did it before getting comfortable with the tablet. I'd do that for the river tips, too.

The only other thing is the paper looks like a mustard color. If that's what you're wanting then cool but if not I'd go something more tan with a hint of red to give it just a blush of orangeyness. I might also do up a layer of clouds, set the blend to overlay, and then turn the opacity down to give the paper some variation grunge.

So, mostly just tweaks but overall you have a good grasp on things.

Juggernaut1981
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Okay, because I'm not particularly good with the more drawing-like aspects...

Are you suggesting smudging from the line to the blank-space or from the blank space into the line?

Ascension
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
End of the line to the empty space.

Steel General
01-11-2010, 06:49 AM
I think this is coming along nicely, though I do agree with Ascension about the background color - to 'yellow'.

Juggernaut1981
01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Ascension & SG> Yeah I can easily modify that later. It's just a layer with that colour sitting all the way down the bottom. Ditto with the "crumpling/distressing", I'll just toss them in later. But thanks for the positive comments.

Juggernaut1981
01-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Updated: Added in colouring for the "sea". Basically 2 fills with the light blue from the original pallette at 40% opacity on a blurred-masked-transparent layer. Pushed up the red further in the "background" colour. Added a "uneven-ness" Overlay layer (probably tune that down a bit). More mountains, coloured in lakes, etc.

Kolfax
01-13-2010, 12:27 AM
I stumbled across this (I'm not sure how) looking for information on how to decide where to places lakes on my map and decided to read what you were doing and I wanted to just say that I think that your mountains look very authentic -probably not the right word- for this map...

The fact that you drew them with a mouse makes it even more astonishing to me... something I'll have to learn how to do.

-Kolfax

Juggernaut1981
01-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Kolfax> A number are mouse, a number are "touchpad" and a number are "non-pressure sensitive pen on a tablet notebook"...

But thanks for the praise.

I suggest you go actually here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822) it's about Rivers, but it helps you with lakes. When in doubt, stick up a WIP and the River Police will pass by.

Kolfax
01-13-2010, 02:30 AM
I've heard of such police... I fear them.

Thanks for the link to the tutorial - I'm sure I will refer to it often. BTW, this is probably bad forum etiquette, but I've heard a read quite a few people talking about their use of tablets and I have found that they might become a necessary tool; what kind do you use?

Juggernaut1981
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Kolfax>
I have a Fujitsu Lifebook T Series. It's basically a whopping big powerful PDA. I can flip the screen over the keyboard and use it like a tablet/PDA directly onto the screen. It's primarily designed for people giving presentations and travelling for business. I find it's been really good because it is fairly light, has a good battery life and for my last couple of jobs I have done a lot of presentations and wanted to do "pen marks" onto the presentations as I speak. So it's not a "proper tablet" it's a really fancy Laptop that behaves like a PDA... (does run on Wacom Technology though... so that's nice... just no pressure sensitivity)

There is a Mouse vs Tablets thread somewhere, check it out to see people's thoughts.

Juggernaut1981
01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Here is the next installment...
Smudged the bottom points of mountain-shapes as suggested by Ascension.

Not sure I'm happy with my "round deciduous tree" forests... but they're too small to do nice shading as is done in a number of other "hand drawn" maps around the place. Hoping density and being deliberately non-uniform will work.

C&C as usual people.

Steel General
01-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Now this is starting to 'come alive' so to speak.

My only 'nit-pick' at this point is the red labels, I find that it clashes with the yellow-orange background, and is difficult to read where it overlays the mountains.

Juggernaut1981
01-14-2010, 04:15 PM
SG Mon Frere... Nitpick away. I know you guys are "the business" and I don't mind the constructive Nitpick. (Much better than the "It sucks coz it's like sumting I could do if I could be assed not being an emo..." - Yay for well adjusted gamers from my old playgroup...)
I don't think I can use the dark green (it's also going to appear as an empire boundary in a WIP I'll post later). Any colour suggestions?

Sideline:
#1 How many emos does it take to change a lightbulb? None, they just sit in the dark and cry...

#2 I wish my lawn was emo... then it would just go cut itself.

Ramah
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm really liking this map now.
I have to admit, I was very worried about the shape you picked for the landmass. The largest land looked all kinds of wrong but now that you have elements on it looks really good. :)

Your trees look fine, I wouldn't worry about shading, although they do look a little messy when zoomed out. That's the price you pay for making things small and lots of them though.

I have two criticisms. One is the rivers, but they have already been mentioned. They could use some tapering.
The other one would be the sea colour. I'm not too fussed on the shade and I don't particulalrly like the fade at the edge, the large glow around the edge of the land. It's obvious you aren't going for a hand-drawn look but those large glows just always look too digital to me.
I actually preferred the map when it was all yellow. Hehe.

Look forward to seeing what's in the north of the large continent.

Steel General
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
You could try a dark glow or stroke around the text

Juggernaut1981
01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Ramah> The idea is that it was hand-drawn and painted. Almost like a large artwork you might find on a Merchant Navy wall... So I might change the colour out later or vary the bluring on the mask layer.

I'll get to the rivers later, just adding forest upon forest upon forest...

Juggernaut1981
01-14-2010, 09:00 PM
The first image below is the "guide" I've created from this map. Brown/Tan = mountain ranges, green = forests. The rivers are pretty much in place (just fussing around with tapering or other details... which could be a pain as I can't think of a neat way to taper them).

Second image is without the guide. Dark Green marks the empire boundaries.

Ultimate goal: To have this look like it was done by hand, on a wall, as both useful but also as an artwork.

Ramah> Yeah the landmasses make more sense when you know some of the "driving landforms".

Juggernaut1981
01-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Worked on the "Nations of the Forest Moon" Island. Added in mountains mostly. Did some work on the forests near the Six Duchies.
Guide-markings have been left in.

Juggernaut1981
01-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Another update.
Did some work on Sanctuary Island & Dwarfhold. Added in another mountain range, some hills, more forests...
Acted on some of the advice above and worked on the rivers. There seemed to be two options: widen the mouth, or narrow the sources. Seemed significantly easier to widen the mouth, so I did that. Most of the river work has been on the bottom right and top right corners... lots more rivers to adjust and a lot more mountains and trees to put in.

Ascension
01-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah, the wider river parts do look better now.

Juggernaut1981
01-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Finished off the rivers, did a forest on Sanctuary Island, added in the outline of the mountains around Stahlkonigsreich...
This version has the "tone-varying cloud layer" on.

Juggernaut1981
01-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I think I may consider a "desaturated" version as well... I'll just do it all in colour first and then try desaturate it... I'm sure it will need editing to distinguish roads/political borders/rivers... but I don't think it will be spectacularly difficult as each map element is basically in its own layer...

Layer List: (top down)
Crumpling
Cartouche
Labels - Cities/Ruins (currently empty)
Labels - Landforms
Labels - Empires
Roads
Forests
Rivers
Mountains
Empire Boundaries
Political Guidelines
Guidelines
Coastlines - Colouring
Coastlines
Parchment
(Original working Layer)

Juggernaut1981
01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Just did a quick Desaturation - Lightness on every layer... very ham-fisted, not sure if it works... throw the usual C&C about it and I'll store the comments for later when everything else about the map is finished.

Ascension
01-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Looks pretty good. If you threw a color adjust or color overlay or something at it and use a tannish-orange you'd have a nice parchment map.

Juggernaut1981
01-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Or in other words, if i hadn't desaturated the parchment colour layer at the bottom...

paladin_of_light
01-22-2010, 01:40 AM
That's a nice map you've got there. I like the desaturated version, but I agree that it needs a little bit of color, I think.

Juggernaut1981
01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Here you are ladels & gentlegerms... another update for this map. Added the mountains on Blaserach Island. Added in the forest between The Six Duchies and Parlassus in the south.
This is starting to get to the point where I need to take out my old notes and draft in places for certain specific events from the major plot. Still many forests to be done... and they take a lot of time (effort) and tedium (because each tree is going in by hand one at a time).

Juggernaut1981
01-31-2010, 08:25 PM
As usual, another tweak here, a fidget there...

Diamond
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey, that's looking pretty good. I can't freaking believe you're putting those trees in one at a time! Oh the tedium...

moutarde
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
It's looking good so far, and I feel your tree pain... Have fun! :)

Coyotemax
01-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Cant' believe I've missed this thread after all this time!
I like the map, you've got a great consistent feel going on with the terrain features and labels.
That cartouche looks a little more blurred than the rest of the map to me (or maybe it's my sleep blurred eyes). Do you have any further plans for it?

Juggernaut1981
01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Cant' believe I've missed this thread after all this time!
I like the map, you've got a great consistent feel going on with the terrain features and labels.
That cartouche looks a little more blurred than the rest of the map to me (or maybe it's my sleep blurred eyes). Do you have any further plans for it?

I am stuck with a horrible conundrum regarding the cartouche.
I love the "heraldry" type images. But the stock images for heraldry I have are all 100px x 100px GIFs...
So, do I try to scale them up and gently blur them to get rid of the pixelation?
Do I try to inadequately copy them by hand? (and when I say inadequate I'm saying my drawing failures are as epic as Nero's Fire-Prevention Systems...)
Do I try scour the net for something that doesn't seem to exist? (A bank of nice usable line-art-style heraldic icons that you can composite into a wide variety of final emblems that are in similar sizes/styles/feel)

So I went for catch-22. Make the cartouche using these stock images, and then "blur it a bit" to try get rid of the ****E-AWFUL pixellated edges.

Juggernaut1981
01-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Hey, that's looking pretty good. I can't freaking believe you're putting those trees in one at a time! Oh the tedium...
Moutarde: The process is kinda simple, but repetitive. Draw a butt-load (yes that is a standardised metric measurement equivalent to Missy Elliot's Ass) of circles or triangles (with the zoom set stupidly high...) and then come back later and draw a bunch of little vertical lines...

Just for those in the crowd... most of the "details" on the map have been done by mouse or tablet with the zoom between 400% (tablet laptop on commuter trains) and 1600% (large screen w/mouse).
If you all didn't know already, I do most of my cartography on my 35min long train commute each day. So when you see updates every day or two... that's usually what I've achieved in about 1h or 1.5hrs...

Diamond
02-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Do I try scour the net for something that doesn't seem to exist? (A bank of nice usable line-art-style heraldic icons that you can composite into a wide variety of final emblems that are in similar sizes/styles/feel)

If somebody were to find (or create) that, they'd be my hero...

Juggernaut1981
02-01-2010, 12:26 AM
If somebody were to find (or create) that, they'd be my hero...
I already have one, it just won't work as nicely as I would like...

Coyotemax
02-01-2010, 12:31 AM
http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/ has quite a selection of useable items, i've spent hours just looking through to see what I can do with them :) (thanks to aslanc for pointing me that direction)

Juggernaut1981
02-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Coyote (et al)> I've posted a thread with the stock images I have...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9114-Heraldry-Stock-Images-A-Dump-of-Files&p=99992

Juggernaut1981
02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Added a few trees here, hill there, edited that... the usual

Aval Penworth
02-12-2010, 07:27 AM
I am stuck with a horrible conundrum regarding the cartouche.
I love the "heraldry" type images. But the stock images for heraldry I have are all 100px x 100px GIFs...
So, do I try to scale them up and gently blur them to get rid of the pixelation?
Do I try to inadequately copy them by hand? (and when I say inadequate I'm saying my drawing failures are as epic as Nero's Fire-Prevention Systems...)

So I went for catch-22. Make the cartouche using these stock images, and then "blur it a bit" to try get rid of the ****E-AWFUL pixellated edges.

I upsized a few of your Gifs and took out a lot of the pixelation, attached is one at about 16x17 cm at 300DPI. And the Antelope you are using. Youv'e lost some detail but at least it's not blurred. Is that helpful?

(edit) In fact, now I look more closely, the lower level of detail is probably more in keeping with the rest of the map.

Juggernaut1981
02-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks Aval, I'll get into it a bit later and see what I can do.

Juggernaut1981
05-30-2010, 08:52 PM
It's been a big hiatus, and I'll be back and try get more work done on this ASAP.

Aval Penworth
05-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Great to see you back. Looking forward to the update.

Juggernaut1981
05-31-2010, 01:28 AM
Here is the current state of the Map.

Work on this will follow... C&C away people.

Zavael
05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
I saw your first concept for forests and jumped to the end (so if the concept changed, maybe my comment has no meaning) and i dont know the background of the map (but I assume by the presense of dwarfs and elves its classic medieval fantasy, maybe not) but I think in these kind of map (and these kind of eras) the forests arent scattered or sparse like in the concept... they are more komplex and bigger, especially in the two elven islands but its just my opinion
either way, its interesting to watch wath will be the final output :) keep progress

jwbjerk
05-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Re heraldic images:
You can get books of public domain images (http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&rls=en&q=dover%20heraldry&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf) like this for around 10 dollars. Maybe less if you find a used book. The CDs might not be worth much, but you can scan from the pages.

Re climate:
I don't know if you are interested in figuring a realistic climate for this world, but for instance that island on the lower left has significant mountains you wouldn't expect a forest inside. The mountains block moist winds off the ocean that carry the rain a forest needs to exist.

Juggernaut1981
05-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Actually, the idea of that forested area is closer to it being like the sub-tropic rainforests (like those found in the Blue Mountains of NSW which are deep inside valleys).

I had a look through most of those and they appear to be "completed crests" rather than "components to make your own crests". I'd be looking for the pieces. I have a large number of low-res GIFs and given time and effort, I may convert them all over yet...

jwbjerk
05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
I had a look through most of those and they appear to be "completed crests" rather than "components to make your own crests". I'd be looking for the pieces. I have a large number of low-res GIFs and given time and effort, I may convert them all over yet...
You can do as you like, but wouldn't it be easier to take complete crests and separate out the various useful parts rather than try to enhance lo-res parts?

Juggernaut1981
06-01-2010, 04:26 AM
For the generally usability (for both me an potentially others)... yes. It would be easier to have the wide variety of parts on hand to be combined and edited as needed rather than having to continuously edit them out of other crests.

Juggernaut1981
06-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Latest Update

C&C as usual.25339

Juggernaut1981
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Added in the forest south of Galatelle. RSI Anybody?

Juggernaut1981
06-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Started adding in some names. I've decided that the Moonreach Elves will have a "Slavic" flavour. I always disliked this idea that Elves the world over speak the same version of Elven (and not have dialects or even 'accents'). This, I think, will be a common trend. The Stahlkonigreich Dwarves have gained some Norse town names, but I may either adapt their national name or adapt their town names later. It's all been done with random name generators for now.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/images/cartographer/misc/pencil.png

Juggernaut1981
06-03-2010, 10:41 PM
More place names added. Empire of Spires is going to get a Persian flavour, Parlassus remains its Greek-style... Bit by bit... It is probably getting more progress now that it has been in the past though. Putting in the names is forcing me to make other decisions I've been putting off for a long time.

Steel General
06-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Coming along nicely Juggie.

One thing I noticed is the text on the 'coat-of-arms' seems to be blurred a bit. Though it may just be a result of lowering the resolution to post.

Juggernaut1981
06-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Nah, that Cartouche got the bujeeezusss scaled out of it, and then fidgeted with and then when it looked obscelenely pixellated, I tried to blur-sharpen my way out of danger... and didn't get anywhere. In the long run it's dead and will be replaced. In the short term... here is the next update after a few hours pottering away on a Friday night while my wife watches dramas from Chinese Free-to-Air-Satellites...

Juggernaut1981
06-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Another update... small tragedy of compressing layers, etc, etc, etc... really frustrating but fixed. Also increased the size by about 50% in the effort of making less of a disgusting smudge of Ramah's Awesome city markers. Also taken a big whack out of the visuals on it, (reduced it to a 50% jpg rather than 100% jpg like the rest). C&C the crap out of it as usual...

Juggernaut1981
06-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Another update...
C&C at will...
Btw... BIG thanks to Ramah for putting up those city/town icons of his. They're going to prove invaluable since I'm not great at drawing buildings on my laptop. I may sit down and draw a bunch of house & city icons later on paper and scan them in to use as icons for this or other things.

Juggernaut1981
06-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Juggled some colours, some other bits and pieces, named some more things. And so on and so on. I'd be REALLY keen for C&C on this version.

Gidde
06-10-2010, 06:10 PM
The colors are much better in this version; they were quite jarring before. Still, it's the colors which keep turning me off -- they're a bit too ... um, primary? Can't really put my finger on it. All of the elements mesh together well, and all in all it's very well made. It's just the colors that keep striking me in an odd way.

Juggernaut1981
06-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks Gidde. I think it might be because your eye is expecting black but the common colour used is actually supposed to be very close to "blue-black ink".

I'm also going to go through and hand-draw the city markers. As awesome as Ramah's markers are... they don't quite fit which means I need to do them by hand.

Ramah
06-11-2010, 06:19 AM
I'm also going to go through and hand-draw the city markers. As awesome as Ramah's markers are... they don't quite fit which means I need to do them by hand.

I think you are right to do this. I really like how you've taken some of the markers and added them together to make larger, more interesting ones. I hoped that someone might do such a thing and they look great. Except I agree and think they really look out of place on this map. You might try just tracing over them on a new layer. I think what makes them look wrong is that the some of the lines are a lot thinner and look more delicate than what you have used for your trees and mountains etc. Also, they have a white background that makes them stand out too much. If you traced them in your own hand with a similar colour, thickness of what you used for the trees they would probably fit in great.

Juggernaut1981
06-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Ramah,
Thanks for the vote of approval. Yeah I was hoping to avoid the extra drawing since there is already a number of other sections to adapt.

Any thoughts about the colour "glitch" that is happening with Gidde?

Juggernaut1981
06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Another update... Decided to try reduce the "primary"-ness by putting in a masking layer to fade out the blue a bit.

Gidde
06-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Wow, yeah, Jugg, that made a HUGE difference.

Juggernaut1981
06-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Added a lot. Mainly the Cartouche... A couple of forests and a swamp.

Gidde
06-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Hate to say it Jugg, but the ships don't really match :( You've got the map drawn in big bold lines and colors, and then in the seas are these delicately drawn ships. Which I really do hate saying because I *love* the ships.

Jaxilon
06-12-2010, 11:55 AM
That last attachment doesn't work for me but on the one previous it seems like the ships might just be overly large. Unless that's the look you are after? I will wait to see an updated attachment though. What I can see so far is looking real good though.

Juggernaut1981
06-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah the catch with those ships is that I know I can't reliably draw them... and that's a problem. It means either: a) rebuild entire map to get in ships, b) somehow badly trace them and distort their shapes beyond belief (many of them are reduced from much larger images were the rest of the map was recently scaled up in size)... c) eeep?

Juggernaut1981
06-12-2010, 09:29 PM
The ships are meant to be large-ish. The idea is that this map might be in and admiralty house for King Frederick. Hence the examples of foreign boats. The whole thing is supposed to be on a large scale, to be viewed from a distance. But I do get the sneaking feeling I will basically need to hide a bunch of layers, copy visible, rebuild and redraw the land-features again from scratch.

**Edit**
Yeah I think I will end up doing that... YAY for lots more work... :S

tilt
06-13-2010, 02:52 AM
I'd go with c) eeep ;)
What about throwing out a lot of the ships and leaving in 2-3 making them larger yet? I don't know about what GIMP and the other freeware progs can do - but in Illustrator I would try to trace them and make the line size bigger ... I'll be happy to try one for you to see if it works :)
But the best, and absolute hardest, solution would be to redraw the map with thinner lines to fit the beautiful ships better, resizing a map upwards always makes problems (in pixels - not in vector).
But looking good and looking forward to see where it goes :)

Juggernaut1981
06-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Chose option c) EEEEEP.

Spent yesterday night and some of today (Monday... go public holidays!!) tracing over the ship diagrams that were scaled up to size. Had a computer implosion this afternoon and lost one of the ship tracings *GRRR* but managed to keep most of the updated ones. Updated version attached.

Juggernaut1981
06-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Finished the ships. Now to do town after town after town after town... one small building at a time.

tilt
06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
hmmmm... your map ended up inline instead of attached...and its rather big *lol* ... and it only loaded the top 10% ... ships look more in balance with the rest now, did you edit the wheels too - they don't look as blurry?

Juggernaut1981
06-15-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm borrowing a trick I saw in a tutorial about creating fake ink-bleed.
The wheels are copied clipart and on a different layer to the ships and haven't had the ink-bleed treatment, unlike the Cartouche and ships.
The ships are on their own layers and then duplicated, blurred w/ 3 or 4 px Gaussian, reduced blurred copy to 60% opacity, merge layers.
Regarding the "in-line" image... it just seems to do that. I'll edit the post.

Steel General
06-15-2010, 06:43 PM
I like what you did with with the ships Juggy!

Juggernaut1981
06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Here is the latest version. Started on the city markers. I've taken Ramah's awesome icons, cut & pasted between layers, merged, used them as an outline and then attacked them with an "Ink" brush and "Airbrush" to get the look before transferring them into this file, shrinking them and placing them.

tilt
06-17-2010, 05:28 AM
nice city icons, but the same problem as with the ships arises, especially Aldes look a little thin :)

Juggernaut1981
06-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Did some more, noticed the comment about Aldes. It was happening because of image shrinking. To fit the picture as I wanted in the space I wanted I'd have to reduce a much larger image too far. Making the lines thicker at the larger resolution just resulted in lack of defined shape. It's a compromise unfortunately.

Juggernaut1981
06-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Another update. Done two nations of city markers.

Shinobiden
06-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Wow.. Thais is an awesomely detailed and rich map! :o I could stare and it for hours.

Juggernaut1981
06-19-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks, but it is still nowhere near finished... still lots of details to add in.

Juggernaut1981
06-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Another update. The Nation of Parlassus has been done except for Cisea. This was the unwinding work after writing an examination, a class of report comments and a bunch of paperwork required to allow me to teach in this country. (Yet another of those useless paperwork moments where you do all these documents for precisely no reason other than to prove that you're capable of your job)

Juggernaut1981
06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
More city markers added... getting there... bit by bit getting there.

Juggernaut1981
07-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Completed another couple of region's ciy markers...
More cities and a couple of forests left to go.

Juggernaut1981
07-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Ok... Rivers have all been named (where it is actually important and not small estuaries). Most of the cities are done, not that many left to go. A couple of more forests I've been putting off and those cities left to go. Thanks to DonJon Name Generator for making the naming process significantly easier.

Diamond
07-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Looking good, Juggs. I especially like the idea of identifying the ships of various nations.

Juggernaut1981
07-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Finally might have been finished...

Edit: Noticed that it wasn't finished... Phalosus didn't have a marker. And having it so large on the forum screen gave me the irrits...

hohum
07-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Looks Good. I would consider it done. I love all the detail in the settlement and ship images by the way.

Juggernaut1981
07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the comments and the rep.

Juggernaut1981
07-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Completely finalised I think...
Powers that be can move this to te finished maps section.

Ascension
07-24-2010, 08:40 PM
You have to make the post yourself. When you do you include a short write-up about any story, software, things you learned, or anything else interesting. Without a write-up it's hard to consider it for a feature map.

rdanhenry
07-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Sanova and Leiza are labeled twice.

Juggernaut1981
07-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Oh Sunova.... blur layer apparently got moved separately... *sigh*