PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Albengard Empire

Sapiento
12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
My next map, the Albengard Empire.

So far I have the basic terrain and the political border of the empire.

PokealypseNow
12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Really love the mountains! I mean, re-he-he-heally dig 'em.

How'd you do them?

Sapiento
12-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks.
I use a variant of Pasis' mountain tutorial.

Steel General
12-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Looking good so far, though I think you could use some foothills around your mountains - or am I missing something?

Locution
12-09-2009, 01:17 AM
So far so good! Keep it up.

Juggernaut1981
12-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Sapiento> Unless there is a good reason, I'd suggest that the inland sea/lake in the centre of your map should be within the political boundary. That empire controls about 75% of the coastline... what's the reason they can't seal the deal and get to the mountains?

Sapiento
12-09-2009, 02:26 AM
@ Steel General: I placed some foothills, but obviously too weak, they are obscured by the forests.
@ Locution: Thanks, I try. ;)
@ Juggernaut1981: I will place some barbarian tribes in the western region, who gives the Albengard Empire similar headaches like the Germanics the Roman Empire. Imagine a heavily contested area where the controlling nation changed severak times over the last 200 years.

Juggernaut1981
12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Sapiento> Cool Cool. Just keeping you on your toes.

Sapiento
12-10-2009, 06:02 AM
I placed some city symbols and names on the map, together with more visible hills.

Now I have two things to think about:

1. The names are obviously German based (Holy Roman Empire analogue), and I'm considering to do the names for mountains and seas in a German analogue, too. Would English names for these clash with the city names?

2. How look the city symbols? They are simple and fit the style of the map. But I was thinking about placing little handdrawn symbols, but feel that would not match the rest of the map.

Comments and ideas?

Steel General
12-10-2009, 08:04 AM
I say go ahead and replace a couple of the current symbols and see how it looks. The worst that can happen is it doesn't look right with the map.

Sapiento
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
After playing around with various styles for the city symbols I stayed with the initial ones.

I added more towns and the names for mountains and seas. In the west I placed barbarian tribes and towns.

Sapiento
12-12-2009, 03:10 AM
The shield I took from an old map. The compass was also inspired by an renaissance map.
Maybe I add more cities to give the impression of a dense settled empire.

Gandwarf
12-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Well, it looks pretty settled to me.

I must say I like seeing you experiment with different styles, but I think you have done better maps. This map looks a bit bland so far compared to some of the other stuff you have done. You know I am almost a fan of you, so I hope you don't take this in the wrong way :)

I am not a big fan of the colors and labeling in this map. Also I am missing some of the embelishment I saw in your other maps. It's still a work in progress of course...
The mountains do look good, by the way.

Sapiento
12-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I think the map is mostly done.

Gandwarf
12-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Ah, you made some improvements I see (border, tweaked the colors, etc). I like the map somewhat better now.