PDA

View Full Version : Bethel - WIP

voo
12-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Here I present my first attempt at mapping, just for practice.
I'm largely unsatisfied with how its turning out, perhaps due to my over zealous texturing, the fact that all the rivers are all 1px thick and its unintentional, but noticeable resemblance to Africa. Thoughts anyone?

Coyotemax
12-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the texturing. (then again maybe Im biased)

You might want to check in the upper left corner, looks like a stray bit got hit with your coastal outline and chopped off :)

The rivers don't look to bad mostly, maybe a bit straight in a few places. You may want to attend to the one in Salim's tears before the river police see it. There's one or 2 other rivers with some concerns, unless you have a good reasoning for them.

You could perhaps work with an inverted bevel to give them a bit of depth perhaps, but overall it's pretty nice.

Ascension
12-09-2009, 01:18 AM
I didn't go over in detail like CM...I was drinking in the goodness and it's late. Artsy and cool. Really nice job.

Coyotemax
12-09-2009, 01:37 AM
I was pretty much just going to leave it at the "looks pretty to me" but then I got to thinking, how would I do this, and what can I steal from it :)

So yeah, detailed once-over just had to be done :)

rdanhenry
12-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Actually the River Police will want to have a few words with you about the way your rivers tend to branch unnaturally. Rivers connect as they travel towards the sea, they don't split, with few (generally short-lived) exceptions. Worst case has to be the rivers coming out of Zarros. A lake (again with almost no exceptions, those that can exist being temporary or artificial) has one outflowing river. A reverse delta type of formation like you have there is out of the question, baring outright magic. I also noticed they are rather straight, often running more like roads than rivers, but it can be hard to get good curvature, especially if you are trying to draw them with a mouse.

I like the lettering. The city symbols seem a little big if this is supposed to be continental in size. If this is an island, they're more in proportion.

The coastline looks good, both in detail and in the overall landmass shape. I could believe this was a real place.

voo
12-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it!!
I'm aware of my atrocious rivers:P My lack of geographical knowledge lead to some very pseudo-random placements of them hehe. I think I might take this back to square one and do try some different techniques, this one was just experimentation. I look forward to yal constructively butchering my next one :D :D

euio
12-09-2009, 06:39 AM
I love those mountains. I don't think I've seen better on this site - you actually have a scale for the mountains that makes sense.

Steel General
12-09-2009, 06:42 AM
This is quite nice - the river issues have been covered so no need for further comment on them.

Looking forward to seeing where you take it.

Revock
12-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Really good, the only bit i can comment about is the text is difficult to see in places due to the similarity in color to the land.