PDA

View Full Version : Vaniya mk II

Ramah
12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Hey all.

I thought I'd make a WIP thread for this map because although it started as a test run for Tear's tutorial, I'm loving working on it and I fully intend to finish it.
Anyway... here's where I'm at so far...

As you can see I still have a lot of work to do on it. Many of the layers are only half completed or even only just started in order to get the layer styles up and running, such as the mountain peaks and the ice layer.
I also want to go back and alter the base map to take into account the changes I made on the Aronbor and Perdon maps, but the way this map is created with so many styles that should be an absolute breeze to do.

I'm really looking forward to doing the labelling on this one. Not only do I already have most of the names anyway, but I will no longer be hampered by an unwillingness to use glows and strokes due to it being hand-drawn style. :)

Edit: And oh yeah, I'm currently using the outside of one of Coyotemax's parchment papers. It may change before the end but thanks for it. :)

Jaxilon
12-10-2009, 12:46 PM
That's looking pretty awesome! I look forward to seeing more.

I may have to go give that tutorial a run myself.

philipstephen
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
this is a great example of what happens when two cartographic geniuses collide... brilliant!

i might tweak the contrast a bit when you are done... it looks a bit faded...

but this is an absolutely gorgeous map (especially the mountains.)

i must spread more rep around.

rdanhenry
12-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I like the soft colors. The different terrains are still easily distinguished (at least for someone with full color vision), so I don't see a need to change them. This is a very nice start.

landorl
12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Wow! Great looking map!

Locution
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
And here I thought Vaniya couldn't get any better!

bengaijin
12-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Beautiful work, Ramah. I'd love to know how you did your mountains. Is there a tutorial around that could help me? I think I could vastly improve my map (The Known World, I think you commented on it recently) by following some of the cues in yours.

Coyotemax
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Glad something I did could be of help :)

This is coming along very nicely!!

LonewandererD
12-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Hey, i thought i posted something before, but nice map Ramah.

I'm trying the same style on one of my maps, Tear tut is great for anyone who hasn't read it, and I've hit a snag. I'm using a land colour very similar to yours but my forests have come out... strange. What settings are you using for yours?

Really like to see this finished, should be great.

-D-

Ramah
12-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. :)

LonewandererD: I saw in your post in Tear's tut that you were having problems with the forest. Hmm, well the forest layer is very dependent on what is below it. It gets most of its colour from the grass, land and elevation layers.
So first thing I'd look at was the grass layer. Paint on your mask to make sure it is a uniform colour such as solid white. If you have darker or lighter spots on your mask then it will show through as lighter and darker colour on your forests.
Your land colour layer has an influence on your grass colour so if you've altered that at all (like I did for my mountain colour) then that could alter the shade under forests.
The elevation layer gives you the general undulations of the land and has a bevel on it so any under your forest will cause shadows and light spots, so try painting on the mask in black to get rid of all elevations under the forest if you don't want this.
Umm, not sure what else to say. My settings on my forest are completely the same as Tear's tutorial directs me to have.

Edit: Oh, and of course make sure you don't have light and dark spots on your forest mask.

LonewandererD
12-13-2009, 06:08 AM
K, thnx Ramah. While I fiddle around with that I have one more question. what sort of brush did you use, I tired looking for the "spatter" brush defined Tear's tut but can't find it, did you find it?

Will rep you as soon as i spread some more rep around.

-D-

Ramah
12-13-2009, 06:26 AM
No I didn't. I just used a smallish soft brush with about mid-level opacity. My forests aren't finished though and I do intend to go back around the edges and sort them out.

LonewandererD
12-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Thnx again

-D-

Ramah
12-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Ok, I thought I'd update this thread with what I have at the moment. The map has been stuck on this stage since a day or two after I last posted here but I don't have the time to carry on with this right now. So I'll post what I have and get back to this as and when I'm able.

So I spent a while editing the base layer to include all the changes I made to it with the Aronbor and Perdon maps. So lots of extra rivers, a little editing on the coastlines, Maloglash increasing in size and a few other things.
As you can see I was playing around with the grass colour, trying to find somthing that looked nice without demanding that the sea colour be changed to suit it.
I spent a little time working on the mountains but they still need a bit more on them. I was in the middle of testing out some labels as you can see when I stopped work on it.
Anyway, for now work on this has stopped but I'll definitely get back on to this sometime in the new year.

Ascension
12-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Looks pretty good, man. The river stroke looks a bit dominating so if those are on their own layer I might cut that down to 1 pixel or lower the opacity if it's already a 1-pixel stroke.

Locution
12-21-2009, 12:20 AM
This is gorgeous!

Tear
12-21-2009, 12:47 AM
To get rid of the pixellation of the river strokes just select the layer mask of the land layer and adjust the Levels using an Input Levels setting of around 32/1.00/255

Steel General
12-21-2009, 06:39 AM
This is looking very nice, though you might consider lowering the opacity/changing the color of the stroke on your coastlines. It is very 'dominating' compared to the other, more subtle colors used.

Ramah
12-21-2009, 07:34 AM
To get rid of the pixellation of the river strokes just select the layer mask of the land layer and adjust the Levels using an Input Levels setting of around 32/1.00/255

This worked like a charm. :) On top of that I also lowered the opacity down like Ascension and SG reccomended to about 16% which looks a lot better. I quite liked it being a strong colour but I guess it was a little too much on the rivers. My base map was the one I used originally for Vaniya so unlike Tear's tutorial, which puts the rivers on later and so theyaren't stroked like the coast, mine were already in my base layer.

Anyway, cheers for the views.