PDA

View Full Version : X Marks the Spot

philipstephen
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
This may be a finished map, but i will wait for a few comments and critiques before putting it in that section.

It started as an exercise in the Saderan Tutorial by Tear. I love his maps, and thought it would be a great style to emulate and learn from.

But when I realized my photoshop elements 2.0 could not do all the steps, I just made a sudden departure and starting making my own stuff up with a bunch of layers, textures, and objects.

This is the result.

Maybe it needs some more work. Maybe not.

What do you think?

phil.

Steel General
12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
The green is a bit 'neon' for my tastes but other than that I like it.

Ascension
12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I like it except for the bright red blood, maybe something darker.

philipstephen
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Here is a slightly different version.

I tried to bring up the mountains a bit more, played with colours, and added a blood splot.

Not sure which is better.

This one is bigger to see detail better.

philipstephen
12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
You replied so fast I still had the file open.

For your viewing pleasure, here are darker blood spats and subdued greens!

Does it look better?

Phil

Gandwarf
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
The last version is pretty cool I think. The green isn't neon anymore and the blood looks realistic. Very nice. I would expect to see a map like this in a loading screen for a computer game.

Ramah
12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
I spent about 10 minutes looking for the X. :(
I knew the blood was somehow involved but it tool me ages to see an X in it. /facepalm

Anyhoos, I really like it. I didn't mind the neon green really, but I do think it looks better now that it's been tamed.

What I would like to know most though is where did you get that dagger and that compass? Did you draw them yourselves? I never know where people on this forum get all the cool stuff they put in their maps.

Edit: Oh... and as I've worked through Tear's tut myself, I do wonder what stages you were unable to complete on Elements. What does Elements lack over the main program?

philipstephen
12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the compliments and feedback everyone! I think I can call this map done. (unless i add ports and icons and villages and the like)

in response to Ramah, i grabbed some images from google search and tweaked them with a cutout layer so that they were not too realistic...

i am not sure if that is copyright infringement or up there with collage artists using magazine clippings... i hope it is the latter.

For the tutorial, I lost it around step 3 - land. I did not seem to have the same Pattern Overlay buttons or control over bevels to the same degree. Maybe it is just organized different and I got lazy in my search to find the equivalents.

Phil

Juggernaut1981
12-10-2009, 08:52 PM
something about the sword's lighting looks off.

Ascension
12-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I didn't even think about it but now that I look closer, the compass has a light from top right but the drop shadows come from top left. The lighting on the dagger looks, to me, to come from bottom right. So hard to composite external elements into an image. The map is cool, though.

philipstephen
12-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Yah... lighting from objects is not consistent... ah well.

I will live with it until i have so many props i can use in a photo studio...

Phil

Juggernaut1981
12-11-2009, 01:12 AM
don't worry, i feel your pain...