PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon - Thorgrymm's Forge

Vorhees
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi all

Im tryin my hand at a Dungeon Now so here's the first Wip

Just outlined but i think a nice look. The un-outlined areas will be breakaways to pits and Mines

Vorhees
12-11-2009, 01:02 AM
ok playin with the floor abit - i have to fix the big white line lol

Vorhees
12-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Floor attempt #2 :)

Coyotemax
12-11-2009, 05:37 AM
that's starting to shape up nicely.

Steel General
12-11-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm liking it so far, only thing I can offer at this point is maybe turn down the opacity of the floor texture just a bit.

Vorhees
12-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Well Stairs officially are a pain in the butt.

Do they pass :)

i have made it lighter to i think it looks better (thanks SG)

Locution
12-12-2009, 03:03 AM
I think the stairs look great!

Vorhees
12-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I have tried to do some torches for lighting.

Not too sure on them yet

let me know what you think guys

jfrazierjr
12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Couple things... first, I am not really partial to the textures you used... The background texture is not horrible, but I think you could find something better OR add a masked cloud layer set to overlay to give it some variation. The floor texture on the other hand is horrible. I would suggest downloading genetica view (free) and rendering some textures at the appropriate size to get something nice....

As for the torch light, it appears you are doing that freehand and it kind of shows. My suggestion here would be to set the GIMP grid to the same size as your map grid. Then turn on snap to grid. Use the ellipse selection tool and turn on the selection feature to ADD selections together. Once you have all of the torches selected, go to Selection->Save to Channel (menu item). Create a new layer and give it your torch color (some yellow shade and set it down to perhaps 50% opacity on that layer. Add layer mask to that layer and point it to the channel you just saved. Then click on the layer mask itself in the layers dialog and run a gaussian blur on the layer mask (play with the size, but 20 px might be a good starting point. This will get you a nice fade out effect glow.

Vorhees
12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Cool , thanks jfrazierjr for the advise i was thinking i had made the whole thing messy not crisp like i want. thanks for the quick Tut mate i will give it a go.

jfrazierjr
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Don't get me wrong about the lights, re: doing them by hand. I have no problem with freehand work in a map. The thing I am bringing up is the inconsistency of style. If you prefer a more natural freehand approach to the lighting, thats fine, but then ditch the textures on the floor or fine something that looks good(Torstan has made some cool freehand tilling flagstone textures).

Honestly, the torches are not bad at all(though perhaps a bit small radius wise), it's the fairly hard edge to the braziers lights that is messing me up. (the torches are quite lovely!) Plus, there are a few places where there is no light source that has white highlights, probably from the layer the script puts in set to overlay. If you plan to have your own light sources, delete that layer or tone it down a lot, perhaps setting to multiply so that it just darkens some areas of the floor(and reduce the opacity so that it's not too dark). Anyway, lots of things you can try...

Vorhees
12-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Currently im soaking all info in, i have only had Gimp for about 3 weeks now, i have been following Tuts on here and people are pretty good in giving advise, i mean when they spot some thing they actully explain them selves instead of saying thats S#@t which is helping me to get better. :)