PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally found this site!

King Thor
12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi Everyone!

This site looks like it's a great resource! For the past two years I've debated getting CC3 or Djunndjinni but as I have no graphic ability whatsoever (and heard they weren't the most user friendly) I held off. Looking forward to exploring and learning from you all!
:)

KT

Steel General
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Gandwarf
12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Welcome King Thor!
I agree CC3 isn't the most user friendly, but there are some great (video) tutorials nowadays that should set you on the right track.

King Thor
12-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys. I am definitely looking forward to browsing the forums. What's the best place to purchase this program (Djunndjinn and CC3) if I do decide to go that route?

Thanks!

KT

Gandwarf
12-12-2009, 10:53 AM
What's the best place to purchase this program (Djunndjinn and CC3) if I do decide to go that route?

I myself bought CC3 through their website. You can get a download or CD + download.
Not sure about Dundjinni.

MadCartographer
12-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I use CC3 exclusevely.

ProFantasy's web site is:
http://www.profantasy.com/

Enjoy

icosahedron
12-13-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't know what is available in the way of free trials of those actual programs, but as a suggestion, you might try the free software 'Autorealm' which is a similar concept to CC3 (though probably less capable) and the free software 'Dungeonforge' which is a similar concept to Dundjinni (though, again, probably less capable).
At least this way you can try out their very different styles without spending any money. :)

Alternatively, you might want to look at Viewingdale or Maptools, which offer a third concept in mapping, or Photoshop and Gimp which offer essentially 'hand drawing on the computer' as your fourth option.

ravells
12-13-2009, 02:58 PM
No graphic ability required to draw a good map! That's the good news. There is no bad news, so enjoy your stay!

NeonKnight
12-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

I too exclusively use CC3.

King Thor
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. So what advice do you have for the noob just starting out? What forums should I browse?

Korash
12-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Quick answer....ALL OF THEM :)

Longer answer.....For a complete noob I would suggest looking through the Software forum and the Finished map forumns. The software forumn will give you an idea of what software there is out there for you to use (and do not feel intimidated by the numbers either) and the Finished map forumn is a great way to find a style that you like. Most of the finished maps there have a link to the WIP thread ( WIP = Work In Progress) where the creator worked through the steps making the map. This is where you get all kinds of advice on creating great maps and where you can usually find out what sort of prog they used to make the map.

Once you have decided on the prog you are going to use, and start to work on your first map, it is time to start your own WIP thread. You will be very pleasantly surprised how quickly you will be turning out awesome maps. WiIP threads are also a place where you can post your opinions and c&c the maps that people are working on. We pride ourselves on being civil in our comments and critiques so do not be afraid of putting up work, regardless of whether you like it or not. We will do our best to get you better :)

Have fun and enjoy :D

EDIT: forgot to mention our FAMOUS Tutorial Forum. This is where you can browse through hundreds of threads that can teach how to use the programs that most people use here. We have tuts for doing almost ANYTHING map related with the many progs out there. Once you chose a program, THIS is where you NEED to go. Trust me. :)

Redrobes
12-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Although I wave the flag for ViewingDale (being the dev) its somewhat like Dundjinni so consider that and Dungeonforge if heading down that route.

If you do decide to go CC3 tho I just wanted to say that there is an ad link somewhere on the home page of the guild where if you buy it through the guild the guild gets a little referral fee to help with the site costs.