PDA

View Full Version : Amarika

Diamond
12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Map for a book I've started writing, about an US military convict who wakes out of suspended animation into a far different world.

For this, I started off with a topographical map of the eastern US, showing major elevations, then raised the sea levels around 100 meters. Liberties were taken to take into account better artistry and plot points. After I had the tracery of my raised sea levels, I filled in land and sea textures (mountains and rivers done using Pasis' excellent method), then finished up with the final details - text, forest, etc. I wanted to keep this fairly simple, so I went for more of a generalized look for everything.

I'm working on a 'sequel' map right now, showing a closeup view of the region just north of the Jade Sea.

hubbardmapworks
12-14-2009, 01:03 AM
like the colors and fonts
was going to say the ocean fonts looked too modern for the rest...but then saw the year of the depiction.

Ascension
12-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Nice job; colors are good, I can identify the shapes, labels looks clean, and I get to live in New Rome :) Not wild about the cartouche but those are always tricky.

Locution
12-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Very nice. Sounds like an interesting premise for a story, I can't wait to see it in the bookstore ;)

Steel General
12-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Looks very nice.

wormspeaker
12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
The switch from a serif to sanserif font for the land and ocean locations bothers me a little, but overall this is a very well executed map. As for the cartouche (the label in the lower right that has the name and date on it) you might want to try something simelar to how you've done the ocean names (a box and text that kind of fades into the ocean) instead of a faux metallic look. It's quite at odds with the rest of the map.

landorl
12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
I live under the sea now, but that has always been a given. Great map, and I love seeing post apocalyptic maps of the world/US.

I like the colors and symbols. The fonts are clean and easy to read.

Rythal
12-14-2009, 09:58 PM
took me a minute to fully realize that I now live beneath an inland sea. Looks great!

mearrin69
12-15-2009, 02:01 AM
I like it. Love P-A maps but they're usually a little *too* obvious. It took me some searching to get my bearings with regard to current geography. Nice job. Repped.
M

Diamond
12-15-2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the compliments, fellas.

euio
12-15-2009, 06:35 AM
I like it!

Textures & mountains all look amazing, fonts are all great - I think the sans serif font in the water works just fine. I'm not a fan of the cartouche, though.

I noticed some stuff from EPA and Canticle for Leibowitz. Did you borrow from any other worlds?

Diamond
12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I like it!

Textures & mountains all look amazing, fonts are all great - I think the sans serif font in the water works just fine. I'm not a fan of the cartouche, though.

I noticed some stuff from EPA and Canticle for Leibowitz. Did you borrow from any other worlds?

Thanks. The only thing from EPA is Khansia, which actually was originally invented for this setting, not EPA. :D

New Rome, yeah, I ripped that off from Canticle, but honestly, St. Louis fufills the same purpose as it did in that book, so meh. Although for the sake of originality, I suppose I should come up with another name...

mearrin69
12-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I think New Rome is a generic enough idea that you can get away with it. :)
M

asdel
12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
This is very nice, with very good color selection, and the inspiration is very clever.

I love the forest texture, but given how crisp that texture is, I don't like too much the blur/fade. I'd rather see a hard line, like you did with the coast line.

Thanks
Asdel

Sapiento
12-16-2009, 12:21 AM
I like it. Well done!