PDA

View Full Version : First map since...

Zen Clark
09-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some feed back on a map I made a little while ago.
It is the first map I have made since I was round eight, which does not really count though.
The map was made with Gimp.
I am not going for any general theme, so I just need some basic feedback.

ravells
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the Guild, Zen Clark.

I'm not a gimp user, but it looks a little pixellated. Otherwise, it's too early to say. It may be helpful if you could explain what the different coloured areas are supposed to represent (borders? Desert? Forest?) and the scale you're working to.

You may want to check out Jurgen Hubert's excellent tutorials (in the tutorial section) on using Gimp for mapping for some ideas.

Ravs

RPMiller
09-05-2007, 10:09 PM
As Ravs has said, welcome to the community Zen Clark. How did you hear about us? I'm always interested to find out where folks are coming from.

I agree with Ravs about the map. We really need some more info before we can give constructive feedback.

Zen Clark
09-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Sorry for the lack of info.
Green = Plains;
Tan = Hilly Mountains;
Grayish = City_Scape;
Blue = WaterAndRivers;
brown = DockConnectionPoints;
OneInch = 5miles;
Theme: http://darkbeginningsh.blogspot.com/

Zen Clark
09-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Here is a more up to date version I made using some stuff from the tutorial:

ravells
09-07-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm watching, but keep going. May I suggest slightly more muted colours though, as in your first map - unless you're going for a very cartoony feel.

ravs

pyrandon
09-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Very nice! Keep posting as you work!

jaerdaph
09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Looking good. I would suggest using straight lines and sharper angles for the gray urban areas instead of the smooth rounded polygons for more of a man-made feel. Otherwise, they kind of look like they could be mountains.

Keep up the good work. :)

Zen Clark
09-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Here is a new version:
I followed most of the suggestions the best I could.
In this I was experimenting with some textured areas.

ravells
09-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Much better! I'm not sure what the dark blue area is meant to be...if it's a lake, it looks unnaturally close to the bay to seem naturally believable (although it may be man made). You have two bright green areas, not sure if they are meant to be the same colour. Looking forward to see where it goes from here!

jaerdaph
09-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Nice - I like what you've done with the urban areas. Keep up the good work! :)

Zen Clark
09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
And another update from todays work.

jaerdaph
09-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Your map is coming along nicely. :)

I would suggest trying to format the fonts so they remain within the polygons they label.

pyrandon
09-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey Zen, is that lake going to be "Lake Italy"? ;)

This map is very functional in style, and I like your darker color scheme a lot more, although I do not like the current state of harsh borders and "blotches" of color. Not sure what you're going for here, but are you thinking of someday doing more detail and such, or is this a basic layout map of some sort?

Keep the updates coming. Great post.

Zen Clark
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
O.k, thanks, and can you elaborate on your opinions and questions more?

pyrandon
09-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh, I was just wonmering about the purpose of this map: is it a GM map just to show the basic lay of the land, so to speak? If so, then you have the lattitude to be a little less "showy", and thus the fairly simple borders and colors are just fine.

If, however, you were going for a more player handout (read: "showy"), then this is too basic for my tastes. In that case I would either try to be a bit more artistic/hand-drawn OR be more realistic. As you have it now this is neither very artsy-fartsy nor very realistic (ex: the features' edges are all very geometric, separate, and basic, which is rare in planetary geography).

That's all: I was just questioning your intent to make sure the map you're working so diligently to produce meets the ends! Keep it up & good mapping! :)

Zen Clark
09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
O.k.
I was making the map for a MUD project I've started, info is in my sig...
I might need some more detail, though I am not sure how much, which is one reason I came here.....
It is just more of a base for the players to use, so they have a general idea where things are.

jaerdaph
09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
By playing with the fonts I meant you might want to have the words stay within the polygons they label. For example, the Mountain of Endarper label looks great. However, labels like Camp of the Forsaken and Dantor's Foot (Large Rock Hill) extend outside the polygon they are supposed to represent and don't look as sharp.

Hope that helps. :)