PDA

View Full Version : Is there anybody out there?

Croquelune
12-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi ! A new cartographer from Europe (France). I just start learn cartography and I will need your tutorials =D. Since now i have just doing hand-drawn map but i want learn how to do map with software.

Excuse me for my english (it's bad) I'm not very good ;)

Gamerprinter
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the Guild! Don't worry about your English, my French is non-existent! Check out the Tutorials section and the Finished Maps, as well as the Monthly Challenge boards - all worth checking out.

Curious though, in the last couple weeks, we've been getting many new members from France... what link did you find our site? I am wondering if there's a link from some major French based site that is leading you all here.

Anyway, do not be afraid post a map you have or are currently working on, the only way to learn is to "do".

Again, welcome.

GP

Croquelune
12-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks. For the site, I was searching how to use CC3 and I found the link on google. There are some interresant informations (I'm looking the tutorial section) and some wonderful maps.

PS: sorry for your french :) (it's harder to learn than english).

Ascension
12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
There was a time when I spoke French and Spanish but with lack of use I've pretty much forgotten it all so I'll just say bon jour.

Croquelune
12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Better than nothing.

NeonKnight
12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Steel General
12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Redrobes
12-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Welcome. We have had a lot of french members join lately which is great !

I am learning French too and I think that it is a little harder than English but there are many unusual things in both languages.

J'espere que tu peux ajouter un pin du carte ici...
http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/cgi-bin/WhereInTheWorld.pl

;)

Croquelune
12-17-2009, 01:18 PM
It's done :)

ps : it's not "du" but "de la" because "carte" is a feminine noun not a masculine noun.

Redrobes
12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Ah bugger !

Thanks for that - I should have known that one. I'm not really all that good. I think I would have to live there for a while or get some lessons from a proper teacher to become better. I am reading "Bilbo le Hobbit" at present. I read it in English and French at the same time - French first then back over in English then back again in French once more every few pages. I read better than I write because its always correct what you read, but you have to be correct when you write it !

Edit -- I can see your pin. Well done. You cant be far from Angers. Isn't there a superb Castle about there ? I am about 3 dots above you.

Croquelune
12-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes sure, I'm reading The Lord of the Ring (i'm a great fan of Tolkien) in english and it's very long :) but I love it. And yes I'm not far from Angers (1 hour by car) >> there is a famous castel as you say. You live between Bristol and Oxford ?

Redrobes
12-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Lord of the Rings is a big read. I think The Hobbit is better in English than French but books like Le Petit Prince is much better in French than English.

I am on the team of the the Middle Earth Digital Elevation Mapping Project which is on a bit of a hold at the moment but our last map posted here was this one:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=46273&postcount=15

Croquelune
12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow nice map. I'm working on the Tolkien's maps too (but alone ^^). Especially on the map of the 1st age (map of Beleriand) and 3rd age. I'm working from the atlas of the Middle Earth by K. Fonstad but there is some mistakes that I must correct (distance,location...) and this a huge work ! I need read all Tolkien's texts and find the informations one by one.