PDA

View Full Version : New Dungeon Style

The Cartographist
12-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey All,

It's been quite a long while since I was a regular here. Nice to see the home fires still burning-- and brighter than ever!

I've been playing around with GIMP and came up with a new style for my maps and wanted to know what people thought. I suppose it's not really new or all that original, but the process of generating it is new for me. I suppose one could call it "generic old school - b&w".

The process, if anything, is a mixture of hand-drawn (because I love to draw this stuff) work combined with some things that I think RobA must have done in his fantastic dungeon creation script.

Any thoughts or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

"Tim"

philipstephen
12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
i like it. clean. crisp. very readable. but with some hatching funkiness.

how do you get into this dungeon?

Steel General
12-18-2009, 07:03 PM
It has a very 'old school' vibe to it - I like it :)

Turgenev
12-18-2009, 08:12 PM
I love it! It is nice and easy to "read". The crosshatching adds a bit of detail without over complicating things. One minor thing I did notice is the map grid lines seem to have different thickness in spots. For example, the horizontal line in the centre is thinner than the horizontal lines near the bottom. Definitely worth some rep!

The Cartographist
12-19-2009, 06:33 AM
@philipstephen - Actually, you don't. This was just a test run of some techniques--not a dungeon to be used in a game.

@Turgenev - Thank you very much. Praise from someone who I consider one of the best. As far as the grid lines, you are correct. For whatever reason, when I exported from the Gimp's .xcf into a .jpg, that was a result.

Of note, the "resolution" that the .xcf was done in was 60pixels per square which will yield a nominal 300pixels per inch when I do the full size dungeon maps for printing.

The Cartographist
12-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Now all I need to do is contact RobA with a detailed description of my process to have him generate a script to do the work for me.

Of course, assuming that RobA is amenable to such a thing, I/he would make the script available to the community, and I could do a quick tutorial (if there is any interest) on the manual aspects.

Once that is complete, I will start churning out dungeons almost as fast as Turgenev himself does.

mearrin69
12-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Nice style. Clean is cool. :)
M

RobA
12-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Now all I need to do is contact RobA with a detailed description of my process to have him generate a script to do the work for me.

Of course, assuming that RobA is amenable to such a thing, I/he would make the script available to the community, and I could do a quick tutorial (if there is any interest) on the manual aspects.

Once that is complete, I will start churning out dungeons almost as fast as Turgenev himself does.

I'm always game.

I can get something quite close to this with my big script already:

The only thing I had to do was invert the colour of the wall shadow layer and then add the feathering to the walls mask.

-Rob A>

Jaxilon
12-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I dunno, for some reason this reminded me of an old western where some young slick guy walks out into the middle of the street and calls out the local gunslinger...

"Let's see what you got old man!", shouted Slick.

The gunslinger turned half way around as squinting, he sized up this new threat.

Suddenly, the afternoon stillness was shattered by the roar of gunfire. So fast was the draw that no one saw the weapon clear it's holster.

The first shot sent the challenger's gun spinning into the air. The second, fired almost in the same instant, put a hole through his new hat. The third was lost in the deafening echoes, still, Slick wondered why the spur of his right boot was turned at an odd angle and spinning at an incredible speed. "How'd that happen", he wondered.

Slick lay stunned upon the dusty road trying to piece together the fight. He'd never seen anyone that quick.

[The camera zooms in to a smoking gun held in a perfectly steady hand.]

----------------------
In other words, that was pretty impressive RobA :)

PS. The above bit of poorly written fiction is for entertainment only and in no way represents the actual feelings of the characters portrayed. It is not to imply any sort of challenge ever actually existed. Afterwards the above characters went to the tavern and had milk and cookies...in dirty glasses of course. :)

Ascension
12-21-2009, 04:29 PM
RobA IS the fastest gun in the west, period. :)

Steel General
12-21-2009, 06:14 PM
RobA IS the fastest gun in the west, period. :)

Well maybe fastest gun 'North of the Border' :D

RobA
12-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Too bad he only seems to start maps and never gets the time to finish them.

(And as a personal note to Tim - I hope you don't feel shot down in the street!)

-Rob A>

Jaxilon
12-23-2009, 05:41 PM
(And as a personal note to Tim - I hope you don't feel shot down in the street!)
-Rob A>

I hope I didn't give the idea that Tim was being gunned down because I did not think that was the case. My little story was more about not realizing just how good something was.

For instance, I used your dungeon add on for Gimp to create a pretty cool little dungeon area beneath a tower but did not realize just how much variety it really allowed for. When the question was posted it did not even register that your add-on might be able to reproduce the effects shown.

Then when you posted the response, like the next day or something, I was like, "Whoa! That was quick." and "Wow, it looks almost identical." It was then that I saw that there was a lot more to the add-on than I originally thought.

So, I for one, was kind of blown away. Hence, the western gunslinger imagery.

I plan to go back and fiddle with the settings and see what else I can produce with it. So I am glad the question was raised.

The Cartographist
01-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Actually, Jaxilon's comment did seem to be shooting me in the face, but that's alright. :)

Ultimately, RobA's script right now doesn't meet all of my needs as shown by his example from above. My dungeon's tend to be very mixed-use dungeons, i.e. they include lots of rooms that are widely separated as well as lots of rooms that are bunched up and only separated by thin walls. Unless RobA has done something new, his script doesn't really support closely bunched rooms.

Additionally, unless I am mistaken, what I am looking for in a script will allow a little more customizations than RobA's allows. Hence, my comment above regarding the possibility of asking him to generate a new one that more closely follows the method that I used above.

RobA
01-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Unless RobA has done something new, his script doesn't really support closely bunched rooms.

I think it does...

Source template:

Result:

But feel free to pm me your workflow and I will script it up!

-Rob A>

Turgenev
01-06-2010, 02:31 AM
Too bad he only seems to start maps and never gets the time to finish them.

LOL! Not at all. I've been too busy to notice any bullets. Besides, I sneaked a cast iron shell of a stove under my poncho for extra protection. :lol:

Cheers,
Tim