PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Bahamut
12-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I stumbled upon this wonderful site while I was looking online for a better alternative to using dungeon tiles (my group has no where near the amount or variety we need for the dungeons). I was extremely impressed by the level of detail of the maps on this site and hoped to learn more. It is a pleasure to meet you all!

I just downloaded Gimp and Inkscape and have never used any kind of art program before, so this will be an interesting experience for me :D

Steel General
12-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Be sure to check out the tutorials forum, plenty of great stuff in there to help you get started.

Ascension
12-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Don't get jaded too quickly about learning new software like I do. Play with it, learn with it, treat it like a new video game. Try the tutorials and you'll at least be comfortable with them. Welcome and have fun.

Gandwarf
12-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the guild!

NeonKnight
12-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Jaxilon
12-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Also, don't feel bad if you can't follow the tutorials too well at the start. I was still learning the software myself and kept going off the tracks but, I learned every time. You might just find a new way to do something if you "screw up" and if nothing else, you will learn what not to do next time :)

Just have fun with it.

Bahamut
12-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

And to Ascension and Jaxilon, your advice is really appreciated. I'll take some time to explore the programs and make sure I'm comfortable with them before I settle down for some map making.

Korash
12-20-2009, 10:52 AM
While I aggree with the need to tinker with the progs to get comfortable, I don't think you need to be comfortable to start mapping. I think the best way to get comfortable to to try following the tuts and see what you get and then tinker. This way you learn the prog as you go and what the various changed actually do.

For Gimp, I cannot recommend RobA's tut on creating regional maps enough, and you can find it here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142). There are many others to walk through but this one has soooo much stuff that it teaches you about Gimp. The style may or may not be what you are looking for, but that is where the tweeking comes in. ;)

Have fun, and post your work as soon as you have something to show. It need not be complete either. The WIP threads are a great place to get over any bumps you find along the road to great mapping. :)

RobA
12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Care to share any maps made with your tilesets? What software did you use?

-Rob A>