PDA

View Full Version : Midju

Zen Clark
12-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Here is the first version of the continent of Midju in, my WIP mud, Lunvans.
I started using one of the tutorials, then took a break for a few weeks and started out again on my own.
I still need to work on the few things that I already have, such as making the mountain ranges look more
natural by the plains. The rest will also have to be finished eventually.

Each mountain range and river, along with both the lake and continent were named using Lojban,
a constructed language that I like to use as a psuedo-Latin/Quenya.

Ascension
12-19-2009, 07:29 PM
This is way out there so all I can really help with is theory. The brown area looks interesting so I'd make the grassy areas look similar, but with greens of course. The transition will be similar also but with mixed browns and greens. Might look good on the ocean as well (blues and light blues).

Zen Clark
12-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll see about doing similar things with the other parts. But what do you mean by "way out there," what is different about it from other maps ?

Ascension
12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Style-wise it is avant-garde and that make it hard to really say anything without sounding either pretentious or totally unenlightened as to what you're doing. Maybe once more is done it will be more clear.

Zen Clark
12-19-2009, 08:33 PM
O.k. That makes a little bit more sense.
I did not think that there was much to the map, even though there is still a lot to work on.
I should get another version out soon.

Zen Clark
12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Here is another version of the map with new fancyish texturing.
If anyone wants to see the xcf file, just ask and I will upload it.

Any possible constructive critiquing or comments on the style?

philipstephen
12-19-2009, 10:53 PM
the varied texture in the green helps a lot.

i would say that the straight line that divides the two different land types is the most glaring part of your map.

I would suggest a more organic and wavy line with some mixed tones to transition from one colour to the next.

But you are on the right track.

phil

Zen Clark
12-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah, the bordering line is something that I'm going to fix soon. Only thing is planning on how I am going to change the rivers next to it.

Zen Clark
12-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I've added a few more rivers, and a new lake. I also worked some on the bordering line between the mountains and the plains, although I still do not like it; but it'll take a bit more time to finish it with the way the layers are positioned and used.

But here is another snap shot of what I have done so far:

Zen Clark
12-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Here is the next version. I added a wetland to the bottom of the continent and some new highlighting effects on the sea.

Are there any issues with how the rivers/lakes/wetland are positioned?

Ascension
12-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Technically, no problems. Normally all lakes have many rivers flow into them and one flows out and that one always goes to the ocean somehow. There are some exceptions around the world where a few lakes do not drain to the ocean - Dead Sea, Salt Lake, Crater Lake. So technically you're okay but these types of lakes are not very common (there's around a dozen, to my knowledge, around the world) and if you start trying to put in every exception to the rule then your maps will quickly devolve into mushy hodge-podge requiring "magic" to explain away all of the inconsistencies. Not that you're going to be that way, just saying to not use geologic anomalies too often. Since this is an island and not some broad flat basin I would expect the lake to have a river drain to the ocean. The wetland placement looks fine to me, you can put those pretty much anywhere where it is low, flat, and gets lot of rain.

Zen Clark
12-22-2009, 02:05 PM
O.k. I fixed the second lake based off of the information given. I also worked a little bit on the border between the plains and mountains.

I added a few forests near the bigger rivers and the lake, but I'm wanting some feedback about the style and representation before I add any more.

For a fantasy themed map and game, how should I represent cites, towns, and camps?

Zen Clark
12-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I changed the style of the forest and added some new ones. A few of the labels were repositioned.

Davros01
12-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I have to agree with ascention. Asthetically it doesn't work for me, but like he said, its such a new style I may not be ready to appreciate it. Maybe once more of it is filled out.

I am looking forward to see how it develops.

Marc

Zen Clark
12-28-2009, 03:39 PM
What exactly is different in style from the other maps? What seems to stand out the most?

Ascension
12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
The brown chunk doesn't mesh with the rest of the map. The brown chunk looks pretty cool, in an artsy way, but the rest looks quasi satellite. If the green grass and trees were done like the brown chunk then it would all mesh...or vice-versa.

Zen Clark
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
O.k. I'll see about replacing the brown chunk with the style used with the other parts of the map.